PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Learner motorcyclists

jfranci1
21-12-15, 04:33 PM
Hi All,

From the bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35154221
"◾Strengthening compulsory basic training for learner motorcyclists." - Does anyone in the know, able to say what these changes are?
It seems to me that they are picking on an easy target to make out that they (the government) is doing something useful?

John

Uber Dave
22-12-15, 01:40 PM
Probably being driven by European rules again more than anything. To be honest the CBT is a joke anyway and should be beefed up in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Dabz
22-12-15, 02:28 PM
It still amazes me that a youngster can do a day's CBT and be allowed out on the road, it's madness.

Trev
22-12-15, 02:46 PM
It still amazes me that a youngster can do a day's CBT and be allowed out on the road, it's madness.

I know, a whole day, what was wrong with a dealer flogging us a nice 250, sticking on a couple of L plates, showing you where the gear lever and brake was and waving you away in a cloud of 2 stroke. Talk about sink or swim, the good old days ; )

Dabz
22-12-15, 03:16 PM
There were only about a third of the cars we have on the roads today back then though!

Trev
22-12-15, 03:26 PM
Yup felt very different, particularly the rural roads. Didn't mean less carnage though, more if anything, out of our little group we had lost two mates by the time I was eighteen with another suffering such a bad brain injury that he has been unable to ride, drive or work since.

As with most things in life, safer often means less enjoyment but despite my tongue in cheek post above, I totally agree with high quality, compulsory training and would highly recommend it even to experienced riders. I did the IAM thing about eight years ago and, although not really my riding style, learning something new is always enjoyable and it has helped me become a better and safer rider and driver as well as find some nice roads I didn't know about ; )

Robf
22-12-15, 07:21 PM
From being in "the Know" it appears that they are planning on making quite a few changes to the way in which CBT's are currently done.

They are looking at having training based around the pupil, rather than just a case of following the syllabus of the 5 modules, which can be extremely tedious for someone who has been riding for many years and that has already held numerous CBT's.

They are also looking to add a theory part to the CBT, as you would be surprised the number of people that know nothing at all about the highway code, that currently we have to quickly give them some knowledge.

They are also investigating the possibility of extending the CBT over 2 days, in order to allow pupils to gain more road knowledge/experience riding.

They are investigating changing it so that if you do a CBT on an automatic you are then restricted to an automatic, and would have to do further training before being allowed to ride a manual.

Finally they are also looking into making renewals only for 1 year in order to encourage more people to take their test.

Some of the changes haven't yet been confirmed, as some would require changes at a law level. However the points about student focused training and theory have already been put in place with the first in place by the end of the year, and the latter to start from April next year.

The changes appear to have been welcomed with open arms generally by instructors and pupils, as it does make more sense.

I'm sure i've missed a few bits as doing most of this from knowledge, but although the changes will take a little while to get in place, i think that they are only going to make the world of motorcycling safer especially for the younger generation that apart from a few exceptions aren't taught about the rules of the road by anyone.

Oldbiker61
23-12-15, 11:09 AM
As far as i am aware you have to pass your theory prior to CBT. However i have heard of some people turning up and taking their CBT every two years which is a joke

Dabz
23-12-15, 12:00 PM
From being in "the Know" it appears that they are planning on making quite a few changes to the way in which CBT's are currently done.

They are looking at having training based around the pupil, rather than just a case of following the syllabus of the 5 modules, which can be extremely tedious for someone who has been riding for many years and that has already held numerous CBT's.

They are also looking to add a theory part to the CBT, as you would be surprised the number of people that know nothing at all about the highway code, that currently we have to quickly give them some knowledge.

They are also investigating the possibility of extending the CBT over 2 days, in order to allow pupils to gain more road knowledge/experience riding.

They are investigating changing it so that if you do a CBT on an automatic you are then restricted to an automatic, and would have to do further training before being allowed to ride a manual.

Finally they are also looking into making renewals only for 1 year in order to encourage more people to take their test.

Some of the changes haven't yet been confirmed, as some would require changes at a law level. However the points about student focused training and theory have already been put in place with the first in place by the end of the year, and the latter to start from April next year.

The changes appear to have been welcomed with open arms generally by instructors and pupils, as it does make more sense.

I'm sure i've missed a few bits as doing most of this from knowledge, but although the changes will take a little while to get in place, i think that they are only going to make the world of motorcycling safer especially for the younger generation that apart from a few exceptions aren't taught about the rules of the road by anyone.

Thanks Rob, good to have an instructor's info and view! All seems very sensible to be honest

Uber Dave
23-12-15, 06:47 PM
Thanks Rob, good to have an instructor's info and view! All seems very sensible to be honest

Agreed and we'll overdue in my opinion.

redken1
23-12-15, 09:53 PM
From manufacturers to legislators and riders, all stakeholders involved in the world of motorcycling have a duty to make riding two wheels safer and lower the risk of accidents, and I agree with most of what has been said on here. That said however, I do think we need to strike a balance between safety and placing too many obstacles and financial costs in the way of the young prospective bikers of the future, which might discourage many from taking up biking in the first place. Bikes make up approx 1% of the traffic on the road and as a consequence, carry very little clout at the ballot box, with probably about the same representation in parliament from MPs who ride bikes. Always worth keeping that in mind IMO.