PDA

View Full Version : Kit list

Aidbox
16-11-15, 05:43 AM
Planning a trip up to North Yorkshire in a couple of weeks and trying to consider what essential pieces of kit I'm likely to need for a 500 mile round trip at this time of year.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Just to add, this is some kit I have already:

Oxford Dry Suit
Spare Gloves (bike fitted with heated grips)
Small Toolkit
Visor Cleaner
Petzl Head Torch
Overboard 60l Drybag (bike has manufacturer fitted hard panniers)
Bungees and cable ties

Things I think I need to add:

Puncture repair Kit (not sure which one)

Not sure what else :confused:

B16NKO
16-11-15, 09:19 AM
Sat nav or map holder? Just in case?

WR6133
16-11-15, 10:32 AM
Puncture repair

Lazy/easy option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simply-Xtreme-Car-Motorcycle-Tyre-Fix-Repair-Puncture-Prevention-Spray-500ml-/251445321930?hash=item3a8b4f20ca:g:Bg0AAOSwLqFV8Ed 9 combine with credit card to get it done properly at nearest garage.

Better option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Tubeless-Tyre-Puncture-Plugger-Repair-Kit-/301662879242?hash=item463c823e0a:m:mCHYsW5gKsP8F5J 7JaJA7sg

Either one will require some kind of pump to fully inflate the tyre afterward. If you have a fag lighter socket on your bike little plug in compressors are pretty cheap. I wouldn't put my faith in the little CO2 canister things you can get, I suspect to go from flat to inflated you'd need a fair few.

I wouldn't go nuts on lugging tools. This is the UK you are unlikely to undertake massive roadside repairs should ****e happen, recovery is more likely. Just take what's needed for basic stuff, like the tools to remove whatever plastics are in the way if you pop a fuse/bulb. I used to lug the best part of a 180 piece toolkit around on my Chinese bikes, along with spare plugs and all sorts, now on my 25 year old kwak I usually just carry a decent leatherman, a few fuses and some leccy tape, 2 breakdowns I've had it's been enough to get me rolling again. 500 miles I'd consider taking the tools needed to adjust the chain and a small can of chain lube as well. My wife's mantra with her car is the best toolkit she can carry is her AA card, if my bike wasn't older than most breakdown services provide cheap cover too I'd probably say the same.

Mitch9128
16-11-15, 10:37 AM
Car

Last Train
16-11-15, 11:01 AM
Car

:D

Aidbox
16-11-15, 11:33 AM

:D

When I said 'any suggestions would be helpful' I was tempted to add something to that :D

Aidbox
16-11-15, 12:07 PM
Puncture repair

Lazy/easy option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simply-Xtreme-Car-Motorcycle-Tyre-Fix-Repair-Puncture-Prevention-Spray-500ml-/251445321930?hash=item3a8b4f20ca:g:Bg0AAOSwLqFV8Ed 9 combine with credit card to get it done properly at nearest garage.

Better option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Tubeless-Tyre-Puncture-Plugger-Repair-Kit-/301662879242?hash=item463c823e0a:m:mCHYsW5gKsP8F5J 7JaJA7sg

Either one will require some kind of pump to fully inflate the tyre afterward. If you have a fag lighter socket on your bike little plug in compressors are pretty cheap. I wouldn't put my faith in the little CO2 canister things you can get, I suspect to go from flat to inflated you'd need a fair few.

I wouldn't go nuts on lugging tools. This is the UK you are unlikely to undertake massive roadside repairs should ****e happen, recovery is more likely. Just take what's needed for basic stuff, like the tools to remove whatever plastics are in the way if you pop a fuse/bulb. I used to lug the best part of a 180 piece toolkit around on my Chinese bikes, along with spare plugs and all sorts, now on my 25 year old kwak I usually just carry a decent leatherman, a few fuses and some leccy tape, 2 breakdowns I've had it's been enough to get me rolling again. 500 miles I'd consider taking the tools needed to adjust the chain and a small can of chain lube as well. My wife's mantra with her car is the best toolkit she can carry is her AA card, if my bike wasn't older than most breakdown services provide cheap cover too I'd probably say the same.

Thanks for that.

I think it's probably more likely that I'd use my AA card over a puncture repair kit for now, especially in the UK. Will definitely take the right kit to do the chain should I need to.

Got a Satnav and just had a new sharktooth headset arrive, will still carry a map though !

The leatherman Skeletool was mentioned in one of the bike mags recently.

QB1
16-11-15, 12:14 PM
Thermals
Heated gear

best option - 4 wheels!

Aidbox
16-11-15, 01:49 PM
Thermals
Heated gear

best option - 4 wheels!

Got thermals, 4 wheels not an option, got a work van with a tracker and my bike.

Trev
16-11-15, 02:07 PM
Got thermals, 4 wheels not an option, got a work van with a tracker and my bike.

+ the bike much more fun when you get there ; )

I did a few longer trips early in the year including West coast of Scotland in April, I was lucky with the weather, was a bit chilly but not too wet, it's okay with the right gear but warm & waterproof kit a priority. My tip would be to make plenty of stops if the cold is getting to you as your reactions & decision making suffer, better to be a bit late than dented & bruised.

Bike kit wise; toolkit it came with + Leatherman or similar, tape, fuses and of course cable ties of all sizes! I also carry a spare headlight and tail light bulb after getting caught out once a late night trip home from Cornwall, wrap them in a pair of rubber gloves and there's bound to be somewhere you can stow them permanently on the bike.

After years of not bothering with (or needing) either I have taken to carrying the following on the NC as I have space:

a puncture repair kit , I did practice on an old tyre/wheel, not the easiest thing to use but it worked and the CO2 cannisters got a decent pressure with only two used.

I fitted a 1 litre spare fuel bottle carrier as a result of near misses in France, I've left it on not expecting to need it in the UK but it got me out of trouble when last in Scotland as the main road garage I was counting on was closed for refurbishment and I had to hunt around a bit for an alternative

Finally, if you don't have a charge port on the bike, one of those phone recharge batteries, only cost a tenner now for one that will charge and iphone or similar

Enjoy the ride

Aidbox
16-11-15, 02:20 PM
+ the bike much more fun when you get there ; )

I did a few longer trips early in the year including West coast of Scotland in April, I was lucky with the weather, was a bit chilly but not too wet, it's okay with the right gear but warm & waterproof kit a priority. My tip would be to make plenty of stops if the cold is getting to you as your reactions & decision making suffer, better to be a bit late than dented & bruised.

Bike kit wise; toolkit it came with + Leatherman or similar, tape, fuses and of course cable ties of all sizes! I also carry a spare headlight and tail light bulb after getting caught out once a late night trip home from Cornwall, wrap them in a pair of rubber gloves and there's bound to be somewhere you can stow them permanently on the bike.

After years of not bothering with (or needing) either I have taken to carrying the following on the NC as I have space:

a puncture repair kit , I did practice on an old tyre/wheel, not the easiest thing to use but it worked and the CO2 cannisters got a decent pressure with only two used.

I fitted a 1 litre spare fuel bottle carrier as a result of near misses in France, I've left it on not expecting to need it in the UK but it got me out of trouble when last in Scotland as the main road garage I was counting on was closed for refurbishment and I had to hunt around a bit for an alternative

Finally, if you don't have a charge port on the bike, one of those phone recharge batteries, only cost a tenner now for one that will charge and iphone or similar

Enjoy the ride

Good heads up on the bulbs, thanks Trev.

Trev
16-11-15, 04:07 PM
Good heads up on the bulbs, thanks Trev.

or as my sparky mate insists on correcting me on - lamps!

BB
16-11-15, 08:27 PM
or as my sparky mate insists on correcting me on - lamps!

And so he should! Bulbs go in the ground!

tomearp
16-11-15, 09:15 PM
Speaking of power banks (for charging phone, running satnav etc.), I saw these recently:
http://www.bargain-buys.com/buy/dual-power-bank-portable-charger-12-000mah-black_7713.htm
I haven't bought one so can't vouch for it (already got a 10000mAh one that I'm happy with) but it's an impressive claim for the price!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

shiftyblake
16-11-15, 11:07 PM
Not a lot, usually I take enough undies and socks for the trip plus a couple spare. The T shirt I wear in the evening gets used the next day to wear on the bike. No jacket (use bike jacket) and a pair of shorts and jeans. Couldn't ride with just heated grips though this time of year, always wear heated gloves. I travel extremely light !
Take gaffer tape, and a few cable ties, and bungee straps used on a few trips on mates bikes from snapped indicator stalks to loose pannier lid etc.

wiltshire builders
17-11-15, 06:53 AM
Cable ties. Don't take up much room but are increadibly useful.
Duct tape.
I always carry a clear/dark visor on longer trips.
Chinagraph pencil for writing directions on the tank. Saves having to keep stopping to check the map.

Kevinb
17-11-15, 12:58 PM
I've done journeys in March and it's not much fun. Stick with a car (if you haven't the se of one, hire one) Whilst there check out the roads, pubs and attractions and arrange to go back when it's warmer/summer

Trev
17-11-15, 01:40 PM
Cable ties. Don't take up much room but are increadibly useful.
Duct tape.
I always carry a clear/dark visor on longer trips.
Chinagraph pencil for writing directions on the tank. Saves having to keep stopping to check the map.

I recall your chinagraph pencil tip a couple of years ago, have used it quite a few times since - thanks, has saved me from satnav on the bike so far ; )

Gerry
18-11-15, 12:47 PM
North Yorkshire !
Beautiful place.

Other items you may need:
1, Yorkshire to Wiltshire dictionary - it would be no use axing for directions to somewhere in the local aerial :-)
2, Large stick - just in case you are attacked by rampaging ferrets.
3, Flat cap - to blend in.
4, Friendly, outgoing, warm personality - to blend in !
5, Camera - to record the stunning Yorkshire moors.
6, Bloody big coat - the wind & rain come sideways up there.
7, Bloody bigger coat - to put over your bloody big coat.

If you need to stop for a wee on the moors don't wee down a rabbit hole as I've heard that ferret can jump out, swim "upstream" and cause untold damage (although I may be confusing that with a frog or a fish or something in Africa) :-)

Have fun....

Trev
18-11-15, 05:13 PM
North Yorkshire !
Beautiful place.

1, Yorkshire to Wiltshire dictionary - it would be no use axing for directions to somewhere in the local aerial :-)

If you need to stop for a wee on the moors don't wee down a rabbit hole as I've heard that ferret can jump out, swim "upstream" and cause untold damage (although I may be confusing that with a frog or a fish or something in Africa) :-)

Have fun....

You can always tell a Yorkshireman ....... but you can't tell him much

Aidbox
18-11-15, 07:09 PM
North Yorkshire !
Beautiful place.

Have fun....

Thanks Gerry ;)

Having looked on google streetview I'm more worried about sheep than ferrets, they were all over the roads !

Found a nice place to stay in Reeth, then may head down for Motorcycle Live or stay up and explore a bit.

Aidbox
30-11-15, 12:03 PM
Well, I made it up to the Alt Berg Factory in Richmond, North Yorkshire on Saturday !

The ride up there was great, Fosse way to Leicester, A1 rest of the way with a large breakfast in the American diner just north of Nottingham. It was a nice dry day and made it past Leicester before the sun started to come up. It only started to rain when I got to Yorkshire, but I've heard that it's an old tradition up there :)

The appointment to get measured up for the Hogg Dual Use boots (for next years 3 Peaks Challenge, Walking/Biking) took about ten minutes which was quite brief after a 5 hour ride !

Spent the rest of the day riding around the Dales before heading to the Black Bull in Reeth for dinner, a few pints and much needed rest.

It was all downhill from there !!

The ride back was horrendous, I stayed off the motorway because the horizontal rain was too much added to the spray from lorries. So sticking to the A roads it ended up being nearly a 10 hour journey, including a few stops. The last section from Warwick to Cirencester was nothing short of frightening. I couldn't keep my visor fully closed as it kept misting up, this meant that my visor was covered in rain as were my glasses ! I could hardly see a thing, I had to ride with my visor open for most of it in the stinging rain! Add to this oncoming vehicles who dip their lights way too late, torrential rain and winds that nearly had me in front or oncoming traffic a couple of times.

It was definitely an experience :eek:

All that said, it was a great ride up there and I had a blast riding the A6108, which is like a huge tarmac rollercoaster, had a laugh with the locals in Reeth, ordered some new boots and lived to tell the tale. It has also given me a lot more confidence riding in inclement conditions and shown me again what a great bike the Versys is.

I'm thinking of doing a run up to Inverness in a few weeks if anyone's up for it ;)

Seriously though, if anyone's interested in doing a 3 Peaks walk and bike challenge for charity next year let me know. Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in 3 days. (In the summer though !)

I would have posted some photo's of the trip, but I didn't have an underwater camera !

Burbler
30-11-15, 12:43 PM
... I had a blast riding the A6108, which is like a huge tarmac rollercoaster...

Glad you made it back in one piece.

Must be impossible for younger peeps to realise that ALL journeys were made on roads like that.
Bristol thru Bath, Calne, Marlborough, Newbury, Hungerford etc. to London.
Bristol via rickety ferry or Gloucester to Cardiff.
Bristol A38 thru Brum and onto Stoke to Manchester etc was an all-day venture.

We used to stop for lunch going 70 miles to Weymouth !

Ho hum...

Aidbox
30-11-15, 01:08 PM
Glad you made it back in one piece.

Must be impossible for younger peeps to realise that ALL journeys were made on roads like that.
Bristol thru Bath, Calne, Marlborough, Newbury, Hungerford etc. to London.
Bristol via rickety ferry or Gloucester to Cardiff.
Bristol A38 thru Brum and onto Stoke to Manchester etc was an all-day venture.

We used to stop for lunch going 70 miles to Weymouth !

Ho hum...

Thank you

I guess you had to water the horses :D