PDA

View Full Version : IAM, RoSPA, ERS ?

Aidbox
09-11-15, 01:32 PM
I did a brief assessment with RoSPA earlier in the year and following on from that I plan to do some form of 'advanced' training next year.

I'm sure people have a wide ranging experience of different organisations and what they have to offer and I was hoping that people might advise what might be the best course of action for me next, as someone who has only been riding for less than a year?

The assessor said that my riding was good, and safe, and the area to possibly focus on was positioning, which I have since read up quite a bit on.

I did go to the BikeSafe show at Castle Combe in the summer and sat in on one of the talks on cornering, which was really helpful.

Also, are there any courses that are more widely recognised by insurance companies?

DC
09-11-15, 10:57 PM
I did a brief assessment with RoSPA earlier in the year and following on from that I plan to do some form of 'advanced' training next year.

I'm sure people have a wide ranging experience of different organisations and what they have to offer and I was hoping that people might advise what might be the best course of action for me next, as someone who has only been riding for less than a year?

The assessor said that my riding was good, and safe, and the area to possibly focus on was positioning, which I have since read up quite a bit on.

I did go to the BikeSafe show at Castle Combe in the summer and sat in on one of the talks on cornering, which was really helpful.

Also, are there any courses that are more widely recognised by insurance companies?

Try and speak with Dennis ..............http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/showthread.php?40210-Free-Advanced-Rider-training

Trev
10-11-15, 08:09 AM
As an IAM'er I can only speak for my experience with them, the only road training I've done and, even though I've been riding a fair while, it was worthwhile in many areas. I don't apply everything (some by choice, some because I don't always remember to) but really helped with my hazard awareness and positioning for better view. Try their 'skill for life' package, you also get the chance to ride Thruxton once or twice a year.

Aidbox
10-11-15, 10:26 AM
I definitely fancy a go on a Thruxton.

I think positioning would be good for me, gear selection probably not a bad idea too but guess that comes more with experience.

Aidbox
10-11-15, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that DC, will send Dennis a message.

Trev
10-11-15, 10:49 AM
Sorry should have worded that better, not a go on a Thruxton but an IAM track day at Thruxton race circuit. The IAM have unique access to that circuit for two bike track days a year, not the same as a full blown track day (is IAM controlled after all) but no need for leathers, scrutineering or sound check and you can go from 1 to 1 tutoring to pretty much doing your own thing within reason.

IAM (and other training methods) will all help with postioning and gear changing but you're right, smooth control of the bike owes a huge amount to experience and just putting the miles in, sounds like you're managing that okay though ; )

Aidbox
10-11-15, 01:27 PM
There goes my previously unrealised dream of having a go on a Thruxton at Thruxton :(

BB
10-11-15, 08:47 PM
There goes my previously unrealised dream of having a go on a Thruxton at Thruxton :(

You could always buy a Thruxton.... :cool:

Aidbox
10-11-15, 09:55 PM
You could always buy a Thruxton.... :cool:

True, what's the going rate for a race track in the south of England these days? :)

...and would that reduce my insurance quotes?

Gerry
11-11-15, 04:50 PM
If you're going to buy a race track why not go the whole hog and buy a Cadwell :-)

Wonder if more manufacturers will take after naming models after tracks, I fancy a Suzuki Snetterton (although not a good idea if you have a lisp) ;-)

QB1
12-11-15, 10:25 AM
I've completed and passed both IAM and RoSPA and honestly I cant tell you which is 'better'.

My personal view is that you will get a huge amount out of both, but whichever you choose the quality of training is VERY dependent on how good your observer/tutor is, how committed they are and how you get on with them, and the trouble is you cant tell that until you've tried both. I had a few different ones with both and the difference was huge. If I was doing it again I'd actually consider getting some professional training.

I did find IAM was much better organised than RoSPA at a local and national level.

As for insurance don't bank on getting any reduction they save me less than £1 on my annual premium and I do shop around at each renewal.

Aidbox
12-11-15, 12:08 PM
I've completed and passed both IAM and RoSPA and honestly I cant tell you which is 'better'.

My personal view is that you will get a huge amount out of both, but whichever you choose the quality of training is VERY dependent on how good your observer/tutor is, how committed they are and how you get on with them, and the trouble is you cant tell that until you've tried both. I had a few different ones with both and the difference was huge. If I was doing it again I'd actually consider getting some professional training.

I did find IAM was much better organised than RoSPA at a local and national level.

As for insurance don't bank on getting any reduction they save me less than £1 on my annual premium and I do shop around at each renewal.

That's interesting, I had a friend who did an ERS and didn't get on to great with his instructor, and didn't complete it.

I know the people I did my direct access with do advanced training but I think there course is slightly more expensive. That said they were all really nice people and that makes a big difference.

QB1
12-11-15, 02:02 PM
That's interesting, I had a friend who did an ERS and didn't get on to great with his instructor, and didn't complete it.

I know the people I did my direct access with do advanced training but I think there course is slightly more expensive. That said they were all really nice people and that makes a big difference.

I think both IAM and RoSPA will happily transfer you to another observer/tutor if you arent getting on with them.

Jed
14-11-15, 10:53 AM
I have done the RoSPA training locally and found it to be very good. That said IAM do similar training and I'm sure are just as good. Both base their training on the Police Book of Motorcycle Roadcraft, so it would be worth your while getting hold of a copy and having a good read through.

Aidbox
14-11-15, 11:16 AM
I have done the RoSPA training locally and found it to be very good. That said IAM do similar training and I'm sure are just as good. Both base their training on the Police Book of Motorcycle Roadcraft, so it would be worth your while getting hold of a copy and having a good read through.

That'sounds what the RoSPA guy said, about getting the book. I'don't forgotten all about it, thanks for that Jed

Davezthomas
15-11-15, 11:36 AM
If you try IAM hope you have better luck than I did. Twice set up to do the intro ride and twice the local instructor didn't bother to contact me. Fed this back and centrally many apologies but got no further. Will do rospa next year.

BB
15-11-15, 04:18 PM
When I got back out on a bike again after a major off I did some 1to1 training with Able, well worth the money and a great confidence builder. Also done a couple of Bike Safes since then too. Again well worth it. :cool:

Aidbox
15-11-15, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Will look up Able.

I did an assessment ride with RoSPA and they seemed ok, they were going to email me a load of info but it never arrived. Possibly an error with my email address :(

QB1
16-11-15, 12:11 PM
If you try IAM hope you have better luck than I did. Twice set up to do the intro ride and twice the local instructor didn't bother to contact me. Fed this back and centrally many apologies but got no further. Will do rospa next year.

I'm really not defending either IAM or RoSPA as my only connection to both is having passed the tests but I had very similar issues with RoSPA.

The trouble is they both use volunteer observers/tutors and some just arent as committed as others and its luck of the draw which you get. Its definitely worth speaking to the organiser of the local group though and asking to be transferred to someone else before giving up.