PDA

View Full Version : Endless Chain ( and Sprockets )

DC
26-10-15, 08:44 PM
Will be replacing the chain and sprockets on the bike soon and have an endless chain ( no soft or master link ) , and as far as the Haynes for my bike is concerned it's done by removing the swing arm ............. Feck that !!! I've had a bit of a look around and some sources say that any pin on any link can be pushed out using a cutting and riveting tool and I've seen elsewhere a guy grinding off the pin heads on one link and then prying the plate off to remove the link . Any thoughts ???

Wes
27-10-15, 07:15 AM
If you are just binning the chain, just cut it off with an angle grinder or bolt croppers, don't forget to loosen the front sprocket retaining bolt before you do tho as it can be a pain to get off once the chain is removed.

Trev
27-10-15, 08:04 AM
A Dremel like tool will let you grind the heads of the rivets down enough to gently tap a small chisel in and remove the side plate. If you are fitting a new chain with a rivet link then you will probably need a tool to turn head over properly, I've had people tell me they've done it without but wouldn't be my preference. Depends what bike you are fitting the chain too, my own rule of thumb is anything under 50 bhp I'm happy using a split link, bit arbitary I know but never had one let go or heard of anyone who has - any thoughts/expereience out there on this from others?

WR6133
27-10-15, 08:26 AM
I've used a cheap riveting tool to remove links. It takes a bit of brute force and cursing. You can make it a lot easier if you file the head of the pin down a bit.

As Wes said if you are throwing the chain away after just cut it.

Wes
27-10-15, 11:09 AM
I've got a chain tool if you want to borrow it mate

DC
27-10-15, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the input chaps , planning to bin the chain so will probably cut it off or grind down the pins and pry the plate off .

I've got a chain tool if you want to borrow it mate

Just getting the van through the MOT Wes , So shortly , when I've sourced a chain and sprockets I might take you up on the offer of the chain tool as I'm planning on replacing with a master link chain .

Is it one of these ???http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31-jh8eJ5DL._AA160_.jpg

Wes
27-10-15, 06:49 PM
similar mate, does the job of removal as well as sorting the new links out

DC
27-10-15, 07:11 PM
similar mate, does the job of removal as well as sorting the new links out

Nice one , if you come to the Remembrance Ride do you fancy bringing it along ? I'll be there weather permitting .

Wes
27-10-15, 08:01 PM
yep no probs

Jon_W
28-10-15, 02:39 PM
Good quality heavy duty chain tool will break the rivets.

DC
22-11-15, 06:06 PM
Good quality heavy duty chain tool will break the rivets.

Bought one of these in the end , no grinding , no messing , just set the tool on the chain and wind it in , cut the old chain today , brillliant !
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71yKZckOv%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

johnathan_hudson
31-08-16, 12:18 PM
Neat looking tool, looks like it should be good for setting the endless rivet in the new chain as well. I've got one, but it's much more heavy duty and a pain to carry in trail kit. How much was that one and where did you get it?

Oh, my tip for all of this, don't over press the new link when you set it, I've done it a few time and it means that link doesn't move as freely... I'm not sure what the trick is for avoiding it though.

DC
31-08-16, 01:12 PM
It's a really good tool and simple to use :cool:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002D2TJ46/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472645091&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=chain+cutting+and+riveting+tool#