PDA

View Full Version : Cold fingers

Mal103
16-10-15, 10:29 AM
Got heated grips fitted for the first time ever this year and have recently started to use them but still getting cold fingers, maybe it's time to upgrade my gloves - I thought that spending £50 on gloves would ensure warmer hands last year but still froze.
Tried muffs over the handlebars but found they weren't that good and were potentially dangerous in getting your hands caught up.

Is it a case of spending more money on gloves or just getting a better make?

Nelly
16-10-15, 11:04 AM
Hands will always get cold in the winter. Its the law. Thought about investing in a pair of heated gloves?

DC
16-10-15, 11:36 AM
I have heated grips fitted and they do a good job of keeping your palms and insides of fingers warm , but this is counteracted by the wind chill on the outside of your fingers . To feel the real benefit it would be best to fit hand guards .

shiftyblake
16-10-15, 12:03 PM
I have Gerbin heated gloves, 5 years old and still going strong, all over warm. Hate cold hands

mikeapm
16-10-15, 10:10 PM
I've had heated gloves for a couple of years now. Best winter accessory. Completely transforms the winter riding experience.

Gerry
16-10-15, 11:03 PM
Just ordered some Oxford heated gloves, will let you know how I get on with them ;-)

Mitch9128
17-10-15, 08:06 AM
If you intend to ride after the clock change, get some 'Pathan' crab claw style gloves, your fingers will be toastie.

Vulcanboy
17-10-15, 07:40 PM
So, it looks like heated gloves and hand guards provide the best solution ...... Richard

QB1
19-10-15, 11:00 AM
I keep looking at heated gloves but the more I look the more I'm undecided - glove liners, battery powered ones (eg RST Thermotech) or ones wired into the bike.

I wish a few of the heated gloves actually had decent armour too, they often seem to just be plain thick leather.

Trouble is its a lot to spend if they dont work very well.

Burbler
19-10-15, 12:46 PM
Just sit on your hands, it's wott I do.

shiftyblake
19-10-15, 06:34 PM
I have Gerbin ones and ridden for 5 years QB1 all winter 75 miles each way for 4 yrs working at Hondas HQ. They are perfect. Actually I went out Sunday for a day in Oxfordshire and used them on half heat 10 - 12 c outside. They are plugged into my ciggy lighter and you soon get pretty quick puting the loom on. When I put my jacket on I hold each glove wire in my hands and that automatically threads them. The later models are better armoured too.

Mackie474
27-10-15, 07:38 PM
As a retired postman I always set store by silk glove liners recommended by a Scots friend if mine who uses them all winter in Scotland

shiftyblake
27-10-15, 10:39 PM
Being to comfortable in heated gloves can make your risk of an accident higher!. I forgot how icy it was a few winters ago, and as I went through Bushton I did a beautiful long slide on the ice and scared the **** out of the Landrover driver following. I stopped to comprehend what I just did and check if there were any skid marks (in my undies not the tarmac), he stopped too and wound down his window he was white as a sheet.... he swore bit....something like **** ME MATE ARE YOU OK !!! and told me what the temperature was -6 and that the crossroads was a sheet of ice. Carried on to Slough but took the main road through Lynham until it thawed out again !!!

Jon_W
28-10-15, 02:42 PM
Pure Silk gloves are the best thermal inner gloves. Don't need to be motorcycle specific, just pure silk. Also make sure your winter gloves are not too tight or they will conduct heat away.

DC
28-10-15, 02:50 PM
Pure Silk gloves are the best thermal inner gloves. Don't need to be motorcycle specific, just pure silk. Also make sure your winter gloves are not too tight or they will conduct heat away.

Think I might get some of these , reasonably priced too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jasmine-Gloves-Thermal-Liner-Medium/dp/B001RCKSB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446043768&sr=8-1&keywords=silk+gloves

Burbler
28-10-15, 03:23 PM
Yep, they're quite good. I've been through 5 or 6 pairs since getting my leg over again.

They are not too rugged.

BB
28-10-15, 06:46 PM
Yep, they're quite good. I've been through 5 or 6 pairs since getting my leg over again.

They are not too rugged.

try cutting your fingernails! ;)

bubblylittleme
07-11-15, 08:01 AM
I had heated gloves and grips, heated waistcoat and heated insoles and was always toasty. Could ride anytime of year and was warm. I had klan heated gear.

shiftyblake
07-11-15, 07:03 PM
I did do the silk inners once but 75 miles to Slough... only made you last a few more miles !