PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Carver
21-08-15, 09:10 PM
Hello everyone, joined today as I heard good things about this forum.

I've been on two wheels since I was 16 starting with the DT50. Had a rg125, rd350 31k, zzr6, rs250, 636 b1h, rgv250, 748sp in that order. The duke's gone but I still have the 636 and the two 250's.

I just did a trip round the western side of the alps starting around albertville, down to the coast on the 'route de grand alps' and then across to the italian lakes and into central switzerland, did all the passes there whilst staying in Grindelwald and then sadly the trip was over!

Hoping to meet some like minded folk.

Cheers!

DC
21-08-15, 09:18 PM
Hi Carver and welcome to WB :cool:

BB
22-08-15, 07:03 PM
hi and welcome :cool:

Last Train
22-08-15, 08:43 PM
Evenin Carver.

That's a fine list of kit there.

Carver
22-08-15, 09:47 PM
Cheers for the welcome lads!

Carver
22-08-15, 09:55 PM
Hi Carver and welcome to WB :cool:

Your pic looks like somewhere in scotland. I was up that way a couple of years ago, the road from Ullapool up to Durness was my favourite bit. Shame the road surface was a bit ropy in places but the lack of traffic more than made up for that, had to keep a beady eye out for sheep sitting in the road too!

Wes
22-08-15, 10:09 PM
Hi and welcome :)

DC
23-08-15, 12:44 AM
Your pic looks like somewhere in scotland. I was up that way a couple of years ago, the road from Ullapool up to Durness was my favourite bit. Shame the road surface was a bit ropy in places but the lack of traffic more than made up for that, had to keep a beady eye out for sheep sitting in the road too!

Spot on mate ! That stretch of road is Scourie to Ullapool it's actually one of my favourite bits of road too :cool:

Toph
23-08-15, 07:32 AM
'ello Carver..welcome to Wiltshire Bikers!

shiftyblake
23-08-15, 09:53 PM
My first bike DT50 and not long back from Alps myself ... Good man!

Vulcanboy
24-08-15, 08:04 PM
Welcome to WB. ;). Richard

Carver
24-08-15, 11:44 PM
Spot on mate ! That stretch of road is Scourie to Ullapool it's actually one of my favourite bits of road too :cool:

Nice one. It's great up there isn't it, apart from the rain...I've been up twice and if I get dry roads half the time I count myself lucky! The scenery is still impressive when it's wet just not the riding. I went for the first time in 2011 and again 2013. When was the last time you were up there?

Carver
24-08-15, 11:50 PM
My first bike DT50 and not long back from Alps myself ... Good man!

Cool, what are you riding now? I've done all my recent trips on the 636 and although it has it's obvious benefits certain parts of my body certainly paid for them...

If I could afford to go more regularly I think I'd seriously look at some more forgiving machinery!

Thanks all for the welcome

DC
25-08-15, 12:14 AM
Nice one. It's great up there isn't it, apart from the rain...I've been up twice and if I get dry roads half the time I count myself lucky! The scenery is still impressive when it's wet just not the riding. I went for the first time in 2011 and again 2013. When was the last time you were up there?

You've got to love the rain and the midges , it keeps the place semi- empty . I was last there in 2012 up the east over the top and down the West side . Did you manage to get over Applecross while you were there ?

Carver
25-08-15, 01:38 PM
You've got to love the rain and the midges , it keeps the place semi- empty . I was last there in 2012 up the east over the top and down the West side . Did you manage to get over Applecross while you were there ?

Yes mate, the Bealach? Went over twice because the first time I was leaning against the wind and the rain! Visibility was terrible too. But the second time it was fine and was able to enjoy the views and over to Skye.

Trev
25-08-15, 04:43 PM
Yes mate, the Bealach? Went over twice because the first time I was leaning against the wind and the rain! Visibility was terrible too. But the second time it was fine and was able to enjoy the views and over to Skye.

Hi and welcome, I'm up to Jockland next week and hoping to take the bike if weather is half decent and meeting itinerary allows. I was there back in May and had 3 days riding the West coast and Skye (including Applecross) in glorious sunshine, not a cloud. I think next week may be a little different ; )

Carver
25-08-15, 08:29 PM
Hi and welcome, I'm up to Jockland next week and hoping to take the bike if weather is half decent and meeting itinerary allows. I was there back in May and had 3 days riding the West coast and Skye (including Applecross) in glorious sunshine, not a cloud. I think next week may be a little different ; )

You had some luck there mate! I stayed for four days in the Kyle right next to Skye and was rained on every day except for the last afternoon. The day I left was totally clear and that's when I went up the Bealach again on my way to Ullapool. Loch Maree was beautiful that day. Have a good ride, you never know with the weather so the old cliche works - hope for the best but plan for the worst!

Republic
26-08-15, 08:30 AM
Hello and welcome

Jed
31-08-15, 02:37 PM
Hello and welcome to the group

wasted_ace
31-08-15, 02:41 PM
Welcome..