PDA

View Full Version : Biggest prat I've ever seen!

Moonraker909
01-07-15, 09:27 PM
So we've all seen bikers chancing it in on warm days with limited clothing but for me today was the epitome of stupidity. I'm a WB'er working in Portsmouth and on the M275 today was overtaken at 70mph by a bloke on a sport bike wearing:

trainers
swimming shorts
helmet

absolutely nothing else, he was filtering round HGVs and all sorts. I thought to myself if he crashes you'd need a jet was to get him off the Tarmac!

I'd rather sweat and live!

Moonraker

BB
01-07-15, 10:37 PM
Dear god! I thought the idiot I saw today down Salisbury way was bad enough - he was on a big suzy wearing helmet T shirt short & flip flops.

Your prat beats mine hands down! :p

Stuntsunlimited
01-07-15, 10:43 PM
I'm guilty of this the weekend just gone, popping into town - half a mile away. A little way down the road, you just don't feel safe, it feels odd - you think to yourself, you're not enjoying it now.. Then the Liveleak.com and Ogrish.com images come rushing back. Then you know you've been a knob head.

This guy, well, he bins it - we all know the result. However people are different, riding a motorbike is a calculated risk. Maybe he thought he didn't wanna sweat in leathers for however long his journey was, and thought potentially months of rehab and picking gravel out of his extremities, maybe a couple of limbs amputated (or much worse) seemed a better option. I traveled 5 miles to work today, I had my Frank Thomas invincibility suit on, it wasn't done up all the way, I had shorts and t shirt on. Sat in the pool - got out dried the drips out of my clothing, put on my leathers with damp shorts and tshirt, out on the bike. LOVELY.

Mitch9128
02-07-15, 08:50 PM
As soon as the weather hots up, the same boring old posts surface. Hands up those who smoke? That's the most stupid thing anyone can ever do, yet people stand there flicking ash, and tut tutting at people who are not CE armoured up to the gills.

BB
03-07-15, 07:31 AM
Yes, Mitch, we are all the same - full of holier than thou ****. Personally I am glad I was wearing the full leather kit on the lovely summers evening when I hit a deer and slid some distance down the road. Of course the leathers were ruined with gravel rash not to mention the air ambo's scissors but I don't have a scratch on me from the road.

Mitch9128
03-07-15, 04:48 PM
Rode into work today, 160 miles round trip, full leathers, boots/gloves etc, it was my personal choice though. As someone whos slid down the road at 70+, i wouldn't like to do it in shorts either, but i don't go up to smokers and tell them they're thick as mince too :)

Vulcanboy
04-07-15, 01:16 PM
.... Just back from trip to Bordeaux, for the Aquitaine Bike Fest. It got up to 38, .... we missed to 41 degree C. Very tempting to take off the leathers and gloves, which I did when riding within the campsite, but never on the road. It's a personal choice, I guess. Most of the other 2000 riders wore some leathers or other protective kit. .... ;). Richard

BugsyB
17-07-15, 10:31 PM
I'll keep wearing leathers, helmet, boots and gloves as long as Valentino Rossi does. If he needs protection when riding, sure as hell I do!

Mitch9128
20-07-15, 10:13 AM
I'll keep wearing leathers, helmet, boots and gloves as long as Valentino Rossi does. If he needs protection when riding, sure as hell I do!

I doubt there's a track anywhere that would let you in dressed otherwise, however i'd lay a tenner you don't mean on the track, nor do you ride as fast as him.

SupeRDel
22-07-15, 06:05 PM
Chap who comes to our RD club rally

shiftyblake
22-07-15, 07:41 PM
I saw a post on FB from Swindon, guy had a prang in Swindon, shorts and T shirt according to witness.... life changing injuries they said ouch!!!

Uber Dave
23-07-15, 01:11 PM
So last night on a ride out I was behind a van who was following two push bikes on a down hill stretch. These guys on the push bikes were in shorts and t-shirt (spandex type) with a helmet and no gloves. The fastest we were doing down the hill was 60mph, and thats behind the two guys on these bikes, they were all over the damned place but nobody kicks off and moans when they do these speeds in relation to their lack of protective clothing.

We can all make our own choice, we may not agree with it but its each persons own choice. Live and let live!

redken1
24-07-15, 11:36 AM
So last night on a ride out I was behind a van who was following two push bikes on a down hill stretch. These guys on the push bikes were in shorts and t-shirt (spandex type) with a helmet and no gloves. The fastest we were doing down the hill was 60mph, and thats behind the two guys on these bikes, they were all over the damned place but nobody kicks off and moans when they do these speeds in relation to their lack of protective clothing.

We can all make our own choice, we may not agree with it but its each persons own choice. Live and let live!

I agree Dave. The biking fraternity and the wider community can educate on the perils of insufficient protective clothing and then it is up to the individual to make an informed choice.

In Italy and Spain it is extremely common to see riders on bikes and Scooters wearing next to nothing.

Burbler
24-07-15, 12:10 PM
I've been 60 mph (+) on a pushbike both in shorts / t-shirt and in school uniform (without a helmet). Problem comes trying to negotiate a 90° bend on ¾ inch tyres !

Mitch9128
24-07-15, 03:13 PM
Knees @ 15mph, hit a cattle grid on a bend, made it over but down hard on the gravel on the other side, only last week. It was a mountain bike before anyone says i should have had full leathers on :)

BB
24-07-15, 06:20 PM
ouch! makes me cringe!

Hope you are healing well

Burbler
24-07-15, 06:39 PM
Knees @ 15mph, hit a cattle grid on a bend, made it over but down hard on the gravel on the other side, only last week. It was a mountain bike before anyone says i should have had full leathers on :)

Iodine on the legs, cider in the mouth...sorted. Hope your back out again quickly.

wasted_ace
27-07-15, 03:43 PM
How many folks out there who rode through the 70s,80,90s have the honesty to say that they jumped on their bikes wearing jeans,t shirts and a cut off when it got hot ?
I imagine the ones saying never are throwing us a porkie or two ...

Julie_S
27-07-15, 09:07 PM
Saw a guy on a V twin the other day in the usual bike club kit - back patches et al but wearing beige espadrilles, not saying anything about it other than it looked unusual!

Burbler
27-07-15, 09:25 PM
How many folks out there who rode through the 70s,80,90s have the honesty to say that they jumped on their bikes wearing jeans,t shirts and a cut off when it got hot ?
I imagine the ones saying never are throwing us a porkie or two ...

70's ??? Waxed cotton (tartan lining jkt., quilted trousers) and wellies with overmits (no fingers, grip awful). Up and down the M4 to London multiple times in all winds and weathers incl. thunderstorms. Never got wet once.

SupeRDel
08-08-15, 07:56 AM
........ but wearing beige espadrilles, not saying anything about it other than it looked unusual!

Woman talk............ any of us guys know what that means.................

SupeRDel
08-08-15, 08:21 AM
Back in the 70's when I first started riding a moped the only biking gear I wore was a open face helmet bought from my mothers catalogue
It was all I could afford

Back then even a full face helmet was a bit of a novelty to us youngsters.

Cowboy boots were in fashion then and they acted as bike boots.

Back then I rode a few times down back lanes, etc, with no helmet on.
If you have never tried it - you really should on a nice closed straight safe road.
You don't half feel exposed and it will make you ride very carefully the other drawback is your are open to the elements - the british climate is rarely warm enough and when it is you get bombarded with all sorts of insects in your face and hair.

Anyone remember the old greaser back in the 70's who rode the old brit bike around the chippenham / calne area.
He hated the jap bikes and also was anti crash helmet so he wore an open face helmet with the strap as loose as possible.
Used to meet him coming the other way with his face and head all contorted because his helmet was half off his head like a parachute.

The good old days

Col
08-08-15, 09:10 PM
I had a Kangol Gladiator back then :cool:

SupeRDel
09-08-15, 07:07 PM
I had a Kangol Gladiator back then :cool:

Started off witha open face Kangol Colt with stud facening wrap around visor then a Gladiator - both out of my mothers catalogue

Gladiator saved my life in one crash

Had to repair hole with plastic padding car filler and respray it.

I kid you not

Burbler
09-08-15, 07:29 PM
Oh! helmets now. My first was the same as the plods used.

https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.com/3533b0bc-ec90-4bdd-803f-a47d00e3c212/337cdb98-1b22-4918-c4d6-04a8864f8343/540x360.jpg

BB
09-08-15, 10:13 PM
Started off witha open face Kangol Colt with stud facening wrap around visor then a Gladiator - both out of my mothers catalogue

Gladiator saved my life in one crash

Had to repair hole with plastic padding car filler and respray it.

I kid you not

I'm told that was standard procedure back in the day!