PDA

View Full Version : Specs

njl
23-06-15, 07:29 PM
I'd put off the opticians for about 20 years, and now discovered that I should be wearing glasses for distance stuff. My eyesight is ok for driving without, but since getting my glasses spend all day in them when on the road behind the wheel.

However I've no experience of riding with glasses, should I consider getting a 'cheap' pair to use on the bike, what type of frame is better for in a lid, anything else to keep in mind?

Oldbiker61
23-06-15, 07:39 PM
I wear mine all the time as long as they fit nice should be no problem, however thought about contact lenses

BB
23-06-15, 07:53 PM
Up to you if you want a 'cheap' pair, recommend take your helmet along when you go to get them and get a either a robust frame or flexible frame to wriggle in over your ears! Always good having a couple of pairs if you can afford it. I've got small framed lenses for helmet wear and slightly larger pair for none bike riding.

Best advice? Remember to take them off before removing full face helmet - can be painful physically and fiscally if you don't!

BB

Long John
23-06-15, 08:20 PM
I've always had similar glasses that have straight sides rather than the ones that wrap over the top of your ears. These have always been secure and very comfortable. The ones I have are quicksilver from Specsavers, spot on and strong, and yes I have tried taking my helmet off before the glasses. Contacts are better, but personally I can't always be bothered. Hope this helps

Stuntsunlimited
24-06-15, 09:28 AM
contact lenses are pretty comfortable these day. Make sure you clean them, they build up protein on them which isn't great for both vision and comfort. You can get those ones that you can leave in for a month.

Mitch9128
24-06-15, 09:30 AM
Can't you get prescription visors yet?

njl
24-06-15, 10:34 AM
Can't you get prescription visors yet?

That did briefly cross my mind!!

njl
24-06-15, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. Does misting up come about much, if so anything better or worse?

Stuntsunlimited
24-06-15, 11:01 AM
glasses are not that much fun if you get caught in the rain.

Toph
24-06-15, 06:48 PM
I've always worn glasses when riding, smaller frames with straighter arms are best, never had a problem with steaming up.
I did once put my lid on without removing my glasses accidentally, bad move.... broke them clean in half on the bridge across the nose, as I'm blind as a bat without them and I was at Compton Abbas airfield at the time, I had to borrow some sellotape and make emergency repairs and rode home looking like Jack Duckworth...:D

BB
24-06-15, 07:17 PM
^^^made me laugh Toph ^^^^

I used daily disposable contact lenses for years, they were good.

jfranci1
25-06-15, 02:00 PM
I ride sometimes with glasses and sometimes with contacts. Prefer contacts if I am doing long days in the saddle, as glasses can make you sore behind the ears.
Take your helmet with you to the opticians, (I am at an age where I don't care if I look stupid!), and make sure that which ever style you choose, that it fits comfortably.
You may want to consider changing your helmet, if your current helmet does not accommodate glasses very well. Look for one where there is a "hollow" where your ears go,
and there is a gap between the foam inserts for the frame of the glasses to sit in. I also prefer glasses with thin/no rims, makes overall vision a bit clearer. Modern plastic lenses do not seem to mist up as much.

Rabb
25-06-15, 08:00 PM
I have worn glasses but, for me contacts are a much better option.
Try them - its just a case of finding the right ones for your lifestyle....

shammy666
25-06-15, 09:58 PM
Personally I hate riding wearing my speccies. Disposable contacts when on bike for me, if only I found it easier taking them out at the end of the day.

QB1
26-06-15, 11:11 AM
I've worn daily disposable contact lenses when riding my bike for years and get on really well with them. I do however always carry a couple of spares in my pocket which I have used a few times when I've had something go in my eye. I'd be stuck without them as my prescription is -5.

pluggedinpete
26-06-15, 08:37 PM
I've found glasses to be manageable with my Caberg, but much prefer to use contacts. 30 day day/night contacts cost £12 a month from specsavers, and are bloody comfy most of the time

Wes
26-06-15, 08:45 PM
Contact lenses for me, Ive worn glasses before but got fed up with trying to jam them into the sides of the helmet, as well as Toph, ive tried to take my lid off whilst still wearing them! plus I dont need them all the time so end up having to carry the case around as well

Jed
07-07-15, 11:59 AM
Daily disposables are my first choice as they provide much better peripheral vision and also don't shake about on your nose when the going gets rough. This can be interesting as I wear vari-focals and can end up looking through the 'reading' part as well as the distance bit. Fortunately I can get away with not having the near vision correction whilst riding and driving and still be able to see the speedo etc.