PDA

View Full Version : Damaged paint work

Marie M
23-05-15, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I managed to spill petrol all over my tank and it has damaged the paint work and left a horrible residue on the tank that I can't remove (I've added pictures below, they aren't great but show the damage). I'm hoping someone can recommend either a product or washing technique to remove it.

Thanks, Marie

WR6133
23-05-15, 04:34 PM
Is that a rattlecan paintjob? It looks like what happens when you get petrol on non-petrol resistant lacquer

Marie M
23-05-15, 04:59 PM
I assume so, the bloke I bought it from last year had re-sprayed it and I assume he didn't use a good lacquer.

WR6133
23-05-15, 05:05 PM
You are meant to use a petrol resistant one on the tank, it's why I didn't bother painting my tank I was to much of a miser to fork out on the lacquer. You could redo the paint job, smother it in stickers or look to see if some kind of tank cover is available for the model.

Personally I'd go for stickers or just leave it as is

wheelers
23-05-15, 05:26 PM
you might get lucky with Tcut or fine polishing paper and water but will mean having to buff it up again to get same finish as long as it hasn't hit primer layer.
do you know what code paint it is? did he tell you?
you can then cover with petrol proof lacquer
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/paints-and-primers/lacquer/?552776631&0&cc5_160

Trev
23-05-15, 06:18 PM
You are meant to use a petrol resistant one on the tank, it's why I didn't bother painting my tank I was to much of a miser to fork out on the lacquer. You could redo the paint job, smother it in stickers or look to see if some kind of tank cover is available for the model.

Personally I'd go for stickers or just leave it as is

Apologies Marie for thread hijack..........

Chris, I'm out your way Sunday morning to give the old Gixer11 a decent run, you about for a coffee somewhere?

shiftyblake
23-05-15, 06:40 PM
T Cut it

WR6133
23-05-15, 08:35 PM
Apologies Marie for thread hijack..........

Chris, I'm out your way Sunday morning to give the old Gixer11 a decent run, you about for a coffee somewhere?

Sent you a PM mate

Marie M
23-05-15, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the advice! Will give t cut a try.

shiftyblake
24-05-15, 11:42 AM
Marie, you could contact Keith Master Tech devizes, see how much to repair and lacquer properly?