PDA

View Full Version : 10 things all riders hate

Dabz
24-04-15, 08:19 AM
Shamelessly stolen from Superbike magazine website :) My pet hate is undoubtedly the "people that know people who have crashed".

Scooter riders.

Yes, of course across town a scooter is more than capable of keeping a 160-horse power sports bike honest. It’s nothing to do with rider skill, it’s also nothing to do with scooters being narrow and nimble and everything to do with traffic lights. Why does it matter if someone on a smaller bike can keep up when you’re trying to make your way across a congested city centre? When you can show me a scooter that can bash out easy 55 second laps at Brands Hatch Indy, honk third gear motorway wheelies and whisk you to the Ring at the drop of a hat, I’ll start giving a **** that I’ve just been handed my hat between two sets of traffic lights that are 80 metres apart. Pfft.

Gloves falling off the tank.

You’ve locked the house, your daysack straps are adjusted just how you like them and your helmet has done up without pinching your speakers out of your ears. You’re sat on the bike ready to go. All that’s left to do is pull two simple devices over your hands and you’re away, except one of them has just slid down the tank and onto the floor. No worries, you can just lean down there to pick it up. Feels funny doesn’t it, that feeling when you don’t know you’re leaning your bike over until you feel it pushing you towards the floor. You have to abandon the glove rescue in aid of sticking a leg out to save your bike from killing you at zero mph. Gloves are wankers.

People that know people that have crashed.

“Oh, that’s a nice bike. My uncles mate had one like that, he got knocked off and someone had to wipe his bum for him for three months!” I don’t care. I don’t care that you think motorbikes are deathtraps because they sneak up on you when you’re checking Facebook while you drive to work. I don’t care that one time, at band camp, you saw a man fall so far off his bike he had to sit in a decompression tank for a week before he was allowed to pick it up off the floor. Imagine if every biker you knew did nothing but tell people that they’d just had a really safe but exciting ride to work, where nobody got hurt or anything. Imagine if people that had never tried something for themselves had an opinion that was so twisted and wrong that every time you heard it you felt the need to gouge out their eyes with a paddock stand. That.

Bike meet bull****ters.

We’ve all met one. The guy that nods approvingly as you tell him why you went for a K5 GSX-R thousand over the equivalent Fireblade, only to cut you off mid flow so that they can tell you about that time they dropped Mick Doohan off on a track day round Donington. Yes, this man can wheelie any bike, in every gear, even round roundabouts. Yes, he once went so fast that the Police actually asked him for some riding tips when they finally caught up and yes, this chap could have easily been a racer if it wasn’t for the niggling injury that he has that will never heal, or actually exist. If these ballbags spent as much time riding as they do hanging about annoying normal people, we’d have had a MotoGP champion years ago. Dicks.

The unrequited nod.

You’re out and about, feeling good and enjoying your ride. You’ve just put in a couple of overtakes that are so clean that the drivers waved in appreciation of your obvious skill on a bike and you feel like you could make your bike dance like a Lipizzaner Stallion if you wanted to. You’re doing fifty in a fifty, resting one hand on your knee and soaking up the awesomeness of being a biker when you spot a likeminded free spirit heading your way. Is he on the same bike as you? Looks like it from here. Clearly the two of you have something in common, best you chuck him a knowing nod, the kind that car drivers are envious of. The kind of nod that says, “If we were in the pub, I’d be buying and you’d be smiling”. Said like-minded free spirit passes by within two metres of you, but blanks you like you’re not even there. Not even a twitch. What. The. ****.

The ride home.

What a brilliant day. You got sucked into the ride and ended up a hundred miles from home in jacket and jeans, stumbled into a bike meet you’d never heard of and have just spent the last hour gawping at a supercharged Honda Deauville. Oh well, you’ll remember this day with crystal clarity, probably for the rest of your life. It was definitely worth it. You jump on the bike and start heading for home. Within five miles, you’re so tired that you have to do 150 with the visor open just to stay awake. Within ten miles you’ve had to stop for fuel and within twenty miles you need a wee. If ever there was a time you could click your heels together three times and be back on your couch it’s right now. You only survive the rest of the journey because you sang the entire Adele album at the top of your voice to prevent you from nodding off. You get home after dark, there’s no food, everyone in your house hates you because you clearly love riding your bike more than you love them and as you slump into the couch in a huff, you realise you left your phone on the wall when you bent down for a better look at that Deauville. Riding home sucks ass.

The rain.

Just, the rain.

Ebay.

It’s a simple transaction. You have a motorcycle for sale, you write a simple advert stating all of the relevant facts. Your pictures are clear and the facts are there for all to see. So why then, have you just had a text from what appears to be an Orangutan at half eleven at night, asking if you’d be happy to swap him the back wheel for a handful of magic beans. Next day you get an offensive email from a man that lives in Lithuania, telling you that your bike is so overpriced that when he showed your ad to his mother, she got sick and now you have to pay for her medicine. Finally, someone polite calls you up and you secure a price that you’re happy with. You end the listing early and then never hear from him again. Four months later you still own the bike.

Dabz
24-04-15, 08:19 AM
Chicken strips.

Chicken strips are not a measure of how fast on a bike somebody is. If Valentino Rossi lived at one end of a really straight road and worked at the other, would you laugh at his chicken strips? No you wouldn’t. Unless you were a dick. Some people don’t feel the need to ride their bikes off the edge of the tyres, some people can keep their cock in their pants and save it for the track. Some people can run a bike to within a millimeter of the sidewall and not even notice. The only people that seem to care about chicken strips are people with huge chicken strips and people that have been running the same set of tyres they did a track day on three years ago in the hope that someone in a car park might notice and give you that knowing nod that only awesome bikers give to other awesome bikers.

Sky Plus.

You’ve had to miss the racing because it was clearly far more important that you go to that family thing for that relative who’s name you’re glad you can’t remember. No problem, a quick push on the old red button and the racing will be ready and waiting for you when you get back. You spend the entire day ignoring Facebook and Twitter and have to answer your mobile by shouting “I haven’t seen the racing, don’t tell me what happens!” You make it home, you still don’t know the results and you plant yourself in front of the TV with a cold beer and an hour to yourself. You my friend, are in for a treat. Your planned recording turns out to be forty five minutes of tennis, which overran and is clearly far more important than watching gladiators duking it out at 200mph around a circuit that looks like it was created by God himself. What the hell! While you’re swearing and spilling your beer down the sofa, you accidentally lean on the controller and the channel flicks to the closing credits of the race on plus one. Turns out it was the most unbelievable spectacle ever witnessed, you time it perfectly to see a rerun of the finish. Chris Walker is wheelying over the finish line on a bike that’s still on fire, his one off guest ride in MotoGP will never be repeated or bettered and you feel like launching the Skybox through the window.

Linford
24-04-15, 08:52 AM
I'd add, Bugs.....bugs that fly inside your helmet whilst you're riding and crawl over your face.
- god knows how these skilled little bastards get in (some completely unharmed!) whilst you're riding at speed.... but they have found a way! :p

Dabz
24-04-15, 08:57 AM
Good call, I had that on Weds night!

Stuntsunlimited
24-04-15, 09:05 AM
I'd add, Bugs.....bugs that fly inside your helmet whilst you're riding and crawl over your face.
- god knows how these skilled little bastards get in (some completely unharmed!) whilst you're riding at speed.... but they have found a way! :p

I had one crawl in my ear... It was horrible.

I agree with all the points. However!

11: Moany Bikers... ;)

decarteret18
24-04-15, 09:30 AM
Definitely agree with the "unrequited nod". I've only been a biker since December and even I know to send a friendly hello to a companion on 2 wheels!! 😁

Dabz
24-04-15, 10:03 AM
I'm sure fewer people are nodding back now than in previous years - I started riding 10 years ago and pretty much every biker nodded back I'm sure

MelkshamKwak
24-04-15, 10:29 AM
I must say that i always give 'the nod' and do get a tad miffed when i am totally ignored :(

Kevinb
24-04-15, 01:41 PM
I would add cyclists whether I'm on the bike or in the car. I have to stop for traffic lights, can't mount the pavement and if we motorcycled two or even three abreast we would probably get done for dangerous riding or obstruction.
They should also pay tax, insurance and have a number plate for the times they kick cars and just ride off.

Well that's my Friday afternoon rant. Lets hope I don't meet any cyclists when I'm out and about tomorrow.

Dabz
24-04-15, 02:46 PM
Cyclists - don't get me started! They're saving the environment by cycling but on the A36 every night I come home and get stuck in a tailback of cars stuck in second gear because a cyclist is taking up the lane - must cause more pollution than they're saving!

Nelly
24-04-15, 02:59 PM
Lost count of the times ive got on the bike, popped the helmet on, stuck the gloves on, velcroed all the pockets down etc etc. Sat waiting with the bike running then realise that the engine sounds a bit weird. Look down and there are my earplugs underneath the clip on the tank filler. Earplugs. Sodding things.

WR6133
24-04-15, 03:05 PM
Adjusting Chains. I know it's easy, I know it's quick but still it's a pain in the backside

Trev
24-04-15, 03:10 PM
Punctures - not had one for years (in fact so long I can't remember) and then two come along together so have no bike for this weekend

Dabz
24-04-15, 03:10 PM
Drivers who see you filtering and move out to block you. We're allowed to do it, just accept that we're more agile that you!

Jon_W
24-04-15, 03:11 PM
Bl**dy hell Dabz, that one hell of a diatribe. You had a bad day yesterday?

Cheers up, things ain't that bad!

Jon_W
24-04-15, 03:22 PM
Just to add,

Can't say I hate any of those things. Even the rain.

My biggest bug is being passed too close by idiotic Sunday Johnnies riding too fast. Is dangerous to everyone and what for??? The extra 0.1 of a second it'll save you before having to slow for the next car. Really?

Dabz
24-04-15, 03:22 PM
lol I just stole it from another website - most of that doesn't annoy me :)

Stuntsunlimited
24-04-15, 04:25 PM
Cyclists - don't get me started! They're saving the environment by cycling but on the A36 every night I come home and get stuck in a tailback of cars stuck in second gear because a cyclist is taking up the lane - must cause more pollution than they're saving!

And if you watch the videos on youtube they are mostly self righteous twats... Really puts wasps up my arse!

WR6133
24-04-15, 04:33 PM
no bike for this weekend

You thinned the collection that much???

I have a moped you can borrow ;)

Burbler
24-04-15, 05:12 PM
Lost count of the times ive got on the bike, popped the helmet on, stuck the gloves on, velcroed all the pockets down etc etc. Sat waiting with the bike running then realise that the engine sounds a bit weird. Look down and there are my earplugs underneath the clip on the tank filler. Earplugs. Sodding things.

I had similar a few years ago. Bike sounded horrid...I'd left my helmet in the central library on top a bookcase.

Snowy
24-04-15, 06:02 PM
Bikers that hate cyclists :p

wiltshire builders
24-04-15, 06:42 PM
No you get stuck because some idiot car driver doesn't know how to overtake and is now holding everyone else up.
Let me guess, when you get to the cyclist you're there for 5 seconds then sail past with room to spare?
Me too.

Dabz
24-04-15, 06:47 PM
Exactly that W.B!

shiftyblake
24-04-15, 07:05 PM
Def the gloves sliding off the tank! if they ever made a magnetic pair I will buy them......I might even sew them to my arms like a pair of tots mitts !!!!!

shiftyblake
24-04-15, 07:10 PM
Just to add,

Can't say I hate any of those things. Even the rain.

My biggest bug is being passed too close by idiotic Sunday Johnnies riding too fast. Is dangerous to everyone and what for??? The extra 0.1 of a second it'll save you before having to slow for the next car. Really?

Or the STRAIGHT LINE HERO's who clip your mirror passing you on a straight chin pressed to tank, flat stick only to anchor up and corner like a tot on stabilisers and hold you up at every fekkin bend !!! aaaaaaaah

Trev
24-04-15, 07:51 PM
You thinned the collection that much???

I have a moped you can borrow ;)

Might have to take you up on that offer. Only three T&T are the X7 which has motor in pieces waiting for rebuilt crank to come back, NC which has a rear tyre worn a little low (!?!) during my trip to Scotland last week (PR3 on order, great price btw from Oponeo) and the ever faithful Enfield which somehow picked up a puncture in the front on my way home night before last. At least it's prompted me to make this a 'sort the bikes out' weekend, weirdly I seem too busy riding during the Winter to fettle bikes, what the hell is that about?

WR6133
24-04-15, 08:33 PM
I seem too busy riding during the Winter to fettle bikes, what the hell is that about?

Dry(ish) Winter days = great riding

If you really need a weekend bike you can take my shed till Sunday evening.

Trev
24-04-15, 08:58 PM
Dry(ish) Winter days = great riding

If you really need a weekend bike you can take my shed till Sunday evening.

Chris, that's a real generous offer thanks but I should have the RE puncture fixed tmrw and really do need spend this weekend getting my bikes up together. MT03 is going for MOT next week and then putting it up for sale so need to drag that out and give it the once over.

We should catch up, I've still got a paddock stand in it's box if you want it. I drove through Tidworth the other night and it reminded me but I haven't taken to carrying a paddock stand with me everywhere I go in case I route past your house ; )

theoldbaldone
24-04-15, 09:03 PM
When a car that is behind a car waiting to turn right and they move over to the left knowing that they can't fit through the gap, but you could of.

Linford
24-04-15, 09:14 PM
When a car that is behind a car waiting to turn right and they move over to the left knowing that they can't fit through the gap, but you could of.
Oh yes...that old chestnut is really pathetic. It happens far too often too!!
Grrrrrr!

Linford
24-04-15, 09:29 PM
Another one..
Poorly maintained/wet & slippy Manhole covers on bends...and they always seem to be positioned on the line I am riding!

WR6133
24-04-15, 09:48 PM
Doddery pensioners

15MPH in a 40, they went round the corner before that image so slow my speedo needle wasn't registering anything!

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/vlcsnap-2015-04-24-20h56m40s572_zps9ljjyztm.png (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/vlcsnap-2015-04-24-20h56m40s572_zps9ljjyztm.png.html)

(later on they did a e-stop to let somebody join a main road from a side road)

MT03 is going for MOT next week and then putting it up for sale so need to drag that out and give it the once over.

Aww you keep selling the ones I like!

We should catch up

Definitely, let me know when you have a free Saturday/Sunday.

BB
24-04-15, 10:52 PM
So many things on here I totally agree with......

Julie_S
25-04-15, 11:46 AM
Don't agree on the chicken strips. If you live on a really straight road and own a sports bike you have an obligation to go out and seek twisty bits, or a track.

The scooter thing happens in reverse too, if you are making fair progress, guaranteed some tool on a minor sports bike ( one usually 10 years or more old) will have to prove that his CBR600 is indeed faster than 200cc of raw Vespa power, and too make himself feel faster will pass within a foot of you

I dislike cyclists who ride 2/3 or 4 abreast on narrow roads, yes I know why they do it and I'm sure I'd do the same but that doesn't make it any less annoying when have to get around them

Those slow drivers who do 40mph max on a main road, you drop to 30 or less in a village, they are up behind trying to overtake you whilst still doing 40

Slow car drivers who bunch up like scared wildebeest bumper to bumper and out towards the white line leaving no room for anyone to pass

I'm not a good one to comment as everything pretty much annoys me, except me

redken1
25-04-15, 01:46 PM
Ye I agree with a lot on here. Would add, other Bikers who keep telling us we should go on an advanced motorcycle course. I know it is for the wrong reason, but I refuse to sign up because I hate being told what to do even if it would be of benefit to me. Not sensible, but there you go. And the self proclaimed biker heros who ride in all weathers and remind us of that fact every day throughout the entire winter season.

Last Train
25-04-15, 03:21 PM
Drivers who pull over to let you by.

Specifically, those who drive through the crap at the very edge of the road 'to let him by' and consequently throw all sorts of shrapnel at you.

Coming back from Gastard wednesday night I was following an estate car along the dual carriageway section of Western way, Melksham.

This complete dickhead, having seen me, pulled as far to the right hand side of the outside lane (I assume to let me filter through the middle of the two lanes) as he could get.

He instantly kicked up a stone that smashed into my 1 month old new visor and left a 4mm long scratch right in the middle of my sight line. Feckin marvellous.

Great though it is that drivers are aware that you're there, but, FFS, a bit of commom sav please.

wheelers
25-04-15, 08:46 PM
cyclists, again!!
came down sandridge hill today two cyclists racing down... we all had to wait until we could pass.
first one got to the bottom, then pulled into carpark.
only to turn bike back round to cycle back up. thus holding those cars up leaving melksham!!

redken1
25-04-15, 09:09 PM
Bikers that hate cyclists :p

I very much hope that road users of other modes of transport are not as intolerant towards bikers. Doesn't bother me slowing down to pass cyclists - it's not a race track and 'we are all in it together' lol

Davezthomas
26-04-15, 08:37 AM
You could just settle for inconsiderate road users who own the entire road: cyclists with green credentials, women with children in the back and a mobile phone, 2 litre mondo man, transit drivers, drivers/ riders over 50 who are too old to live let alone drive/ride, anyone who owns a BMW or Harley, because ,of course, sports bike riders are perfect��������

wiltshire builders
26-04-15, 08:55 AM
Ye I agree with a lot on here. Would add, other Bikers who keep telling us we should go on an advanced motorcycle course. I know it is for the wrong reason, but I refuse to sign up because I hate being told what to do even if it would be of benefit to me. Not sensible, but there you go. And the self proclaimed biker heros who ride in all weathers and remind us of that fact every day throughout the entire winter season.
The Jehovah's witnesses of the biking community.

Trev
26-04-15, 11:26 AM
The Jehovah's witnesses of the biking community.

Cometh Judgement day it will be just the door knockers and us IAM members who escape retribution, the last minute purchase of a hi viz vest will be in vain for those who mock now

BB
26-04-15, 09:35 PM
^^^made me smile ^^^

redken1
26-04-15, 10:02 PM
Cometh Judgement day it will be just the door knockers and us IAM members who escape retribution, the last minute purchase of a hi viz vest will be in vain for those who mock now

Made me chuckle too very good.:D