PDA

View Full Version : Two guys on a Honda BB, T shirt and trainers, GSX R jeans and trainers today..

shiftyblake
15-04-15, 09:36 PM
Each to their own, but I do think that if we ride without simple protection then we have a dangerous attitude to risk. Being very familier with a situation e.g. riding motorbikes without experiencing a near miss or accident for a long while can skew attitude to risk. Making people feel invincible or less likely to have an accident than other riders. (Riders thinking they are better than the average). This attitude is more likely to make a person take bigger risks. I was behind the guys and they whizzed past, over taking cars past right hand turns. It did make me wince when they shot passed a line of cars with a right turn to a busy car park, where I often see cars shoot across before the lights change ahead.
This is just the opposite attitude of a rider that has had a near miss or accident, for a short while who sees the risks as larger than they actually are. Until they settle down again into a familiar old riding pattern. But according to ROSPA they do say that people don't learn from experience after the initial accident shock passes out of mind. They state that if you have had an accident you are far more likely to have another one in the next 3 years. That should be a clue to our own human problem. Meaning that we fail to learn from the experience, usually blaming the other person for violating there right of way etc. Wasn't my fault. Which according to stats it is mainly other drivers fault in bike accidents. However just because car drivers cause many of our accidents it doesn't mean we can't be aware of the risks and try and prevent/avoid them. Or prevent getting into the risky situation.
But perhaps I am biased as a diploma member of the institute of risk management and risk averse!

Swanny
16-04-15, 08:55 AM
Bloke on a GSX the other day dressed in tee shirt, shorts and espadrilles :cool:
Not even wearing gloves

WR6133
16-04-15, 09:06 AM
Having seen the state of gloves after crashing a few times, it really makes me cringe when I see people without gloves. Wearing just a t-shirt... they'll learn the hard way I broke my elbow around 30mph with a CE armoured jacket.

Alan
16-04-15, 09:25 AM
I have ridden in T shirt jeans and trainers many times, admittedly that was in the 70's when it was acceptable and we were all just a bit crazy (well alright a lot crazy). I have had gravel rash more times than I care to remember and yes it hurts. I wouldn't ride anywhere now without full leathers, gloves and boots, I have always worn a helmet, even in the 70's we weren't that stupid.

Stuntsunlimited
16-04-15, 11:16 AM
I have ridden in T shirt jeans and trainers many times, admittedly that was in the 70's when it was acceptable and we were all just a bit crazy (well alright a lot crazy). I have had gravel rash more times than I care to remember and yes it hurts. I wouldn't ride anywhere now without full leathers, gloves and boots, I have always worn a helmet, even in the 70's we weren't that stupid.

I've seen some of my Uncles racing helmets from the 70s, I wouldn't have said they would have offered much protection better than none I suppose.... The padding was really really thin. They say there is 2 types of bikers, those that have binned it, and those that are about to bin it. The squids should get on LiveLeak and search horrific motorcycle accidents... Its certainly a reality check.

wiltshire builders
16-04-15, 02:26 PM
More serious than that. These people raise the stats for serious accidents which forces the hand of the government to put further restrictions on bikers.

Wes
16-04-15, 05:27 PM
Up to them really, personal choices and all that

Uber Dave
16-04-15, 06:56 PM
I am with Wes, legally all we have to wear is a helmet (and pants if we don't want to get done for exposure). Might be stupid but it's each persons choice.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Alan
16-04-15, 07:37 PM
I am old enough to remember the fuss when compulsory helmets and seat belts were introduced and people saying no ones telling me what to do. Now most people wouldn't ride or drive without them. It is personal choice, but I wouldn't want to see it legislated what we wear. No way am I being told I have to wear hi viz clothing to make up for the myopic car drivers short comings

redken1
16-04-15, 07:55 PM
I'm with Wes and Dave. You can only educate bikers then the ultimate decision lies with them. I have been riding bikes since mid 70s and if I dwelled too much on what might happen I'd give it up. I wear protective clothing and we can all ride in such a way as to lower the risk, but the bottom line here is if you want to eliminate the risk completely give it up. Riding a bike is risky - is that not part of the appeal? I mean no one with a full picnic basket up top would ride a bike. Lol :p:D

shiftyblake
16-04-15, 08:05 PM
I agree it is a personal choice, I wouldn't change that, as it is each to their own. But Hi-Viz is a totally different risk argument to armour.
Hi-Viz to its supporters (juries out (I wear it in the dark and fog)) is a supposed preventative risk control reducing the likeliness that a risk (accident) will materialise, it won't help you if the risk materialises, you head butt a car in a silly looking jacket instead of a cool looking black one. But it is supposed to prevent accidents from materialising in the first place (no evidence yet). Armour's risk argument is that it lessons the consequences not the likeliness , as it is supposed to lesson the consequences when the risk materialises, more so than wearing a T shirt.

Armour can have adverse consequences in risk, as it can give the rider a feeling of extra safety and in turn a rider might take more risks wearing it. Risk compensation. Remember the old argument that if you put a spike on a cars steering wheel aimed at a drivers face they would drive more safely !!

Swanny
16-04-15, 10:04 PM
I'll never wear hi-viz

wiltshire builders
17-04-15, 07:27 AM
I am with Wes, legally all we have to wear is a helmet (and pants if we don't want to get done for exposure). Might be stupid but it's each persons choice.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
There are lots of things that we aren't legally required to do but are socially unacceptable.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it should be done.
We need to put pressure on riders like this because it makes the rest of us look bad.
When was the last time you heard anyone comment on how safely a biker was riding?
People only remember the bad and it spreads like wild fire.
I never nod to "squids" or engage I conversation. They're not bikers they're wanna-bes.

Julie_S
17-04-15, 08:29 PM
Human nature unfortunately, the same mentality that will get wild birds to come to your bird table and trust you after you don't eat them the first couple of times works with us, it may be stupid, it may be dangerous but if you don't get wiped out your brain says it's OK. Some folk don't seem to have the gumption to fight that bit of nature.

redken1
18-04-15, 07:15 AM
Human nature unfortunately, the same mentality that will get wild birds to come to your bird table and trust you after you don't eat them the first couple of times works with us, it may be stupid, it may be dangerous but if you don't get wiped out your brain says it's OK. Some folk don't seem to have the gumption to fight that bit of nature.

In light of the fact that bikers are 25 times more likely to be involved in an accident, could this theory not be applied to all bikers?

wiltshire builders
18-04-15, 10:36 AM
In light of the fact that bikers are 25 times more likely to be involved in an accident, could this theory not be applied to all bikers?

Stats can be manipulated to suit any argument.
If the propaganda said "if you ride like a bellend, you're 25 times more likely to be involved in an accident" nobody would take any notice.
How many riders from Bath Classics have been involve in an accident recently?
Riders from the GS owners club? Riders HD club?
I bet not many.
If you broke it down further you would find The bulk of these stats is made up of sports bike riders and couriers, yet everyone gets put into the same bracket.
The government are reluctant to target one group because they're worried that the rest will think "that's not me, so I'm fine"

Mitch9128
20-04-15, 05:12 PM
Personal choice innit, i see people stupid enough to smoke every day, they WILL most certainly die of some smoking related illness, but hey it's really none of my business. None of you lot are stupid enough to smoke, are you?

Trev
20-04-15, 10:25 PM
Personal choice innit, i see people stupid enough to smoke every day, they WILL most certainly die of some smoking related illness, but hey it's really none of my business. None of you lot are stupid enough to smoke, are you?

I son't smoke but if I did it wouldn't be while wearing trainers Tshirt, full leathers and armour for me ; )

Jon_W
21-04-15, 09:42 AM
I sat in a brilliant lecture on statistics (if you like that sort of thing - yes I may be a little sad...) where the guy proved mathematically from the stats that all motorcyclists are dead by the age of 25.

Of course this is nonsense, but as a demonstration of the power of statistical evaluation it was an eye opener!

shiftyblake
21-04-15, 08:11 PM
I sat in a brilliant lecture on statistics (if you like that sort of thing - yes I may be a little sad...) where the guy proved mathematically from the stats that all motorcyclists are dead by the age of 25.

Of course this is nonsense, but as a demonstration of the power of statistical evaluation it was an eye opener!

Like it!

Kevinb
22-04-15, 12:58 PM

Yes I do. I'm hoping it will stunt my growth but at 6'5" it hasn't worked yet.. I smoke, I drink and I sometimes ride my bike too fast (not after a drink though).

Kevinb
22-04-15, 12:59 PM
I'll never wear hi-viz
Totally agree me neither

BugsyB
22-04-15, 09:15 PM
'But perhaps I am biased as a diploma member of the institute of risk management and risk averse!'

Always wears two condoms I suspect - you can never be too sure..........................

wiltshire builders
01-05-15, 07:02 AM
I spotted this guy today riding in jeans, t-shirt and no gloves. Ridiculous. http://www.machovideo.com/14054/free-ass-for-all/#close

Trev
01-05-15, 08:58 AM
I spotted this guy today riding in jeans, t-shirt and no gloves. Ridiculous. http://www.machovideo.com/14054/free-ass-for-all/#close

I had to pop Mother-in-law to the shops urgently, didn't have time to suit up