PDA

View Full Version : Sad loss

Mal103
24-03-15, 12:30 PM
Young biker died on Saturday at Longbridge Deveril just south of Warminster, he was seen close behind a blue car but ended up losing control and hitting a van head on. The blue car didn't stop and it is unclear of their involvement, awareness or if they bumped the bike etc, the best guess is that the bike was trying to overtake the car and lost control on gravel. The road was a 40 on an S bend just before the church, heading south.

Unfortunately it sounds a bit like rider error, lack of training/experience but whatever happened it's a sad loss.

KateD
24-03-15, 02:46 PM
Yes it was a moped. These things always give you a little shiver, don't they? Poor kid.

Nelly
24-03-15, 03:41 PM
Always sad. RIP that kid.

Swanny
24-03-15, 04:45 PM
RIP

Wes
24-03-15, 06:12 PM
Sad news RIP

BB
24-03-15, 08:26 PM
RIP young man

Republic
25-03-15, 11:27 PM
Very sad my thoughts go too the family

wheelers
26-03-15, 12:21 PM
to be honest , its a sad loss but to be blamed on the government.
those scoots arent fast enough and handle bad, they would be better off on geared 50's like what we were brought up on.

a moped doing 40 trying to overtake a car????

8_ball
26-03-15, 12:49 PM
its amazing that so many jumb on the band wagon and assume that the poor guy was in the wrong. there is other news now that the kid was hit from behind by a car that left the him for dead and that caused him to go into oncoming traffic.
RIP son.

Mal103
26-03-15, 01:06 PM
"Police said Mr Snook was following a blue car when he lost control and collided with the Transit van." From the news, where did you get the report of him colliding with the blue car - not arguing, just interested.

I said what I said based on the news above and from talking with a friendly copper, although neither of us where there but he was reported as following the car into a 40mph zone where it is downhill and on an S bend. Experienced riders wouldn't be overtaking or too close.

I agree with the general statement of allowing scooters/mopeds to be able to keep up with traffic but then we also need a method of training them to ride properly, clearly the current system is not quite there yet.

Nelly
26-03-15, 02:08 PM
A bit of supposition going on here. It will be a while before the story truly unfolds. But, whatever the result of that, we all have a knowledge of what our particular machines can do. We understand that, as experienced riders we can make judgements based on the knowledge of our particular bike. The guy may have been riding a brand new machine to him and didn't know its limits. In which case he shouldn't have been planning moves that he wouldn't have been able to judge.
But...as i said, all supposition...

WR6133
26-03-15, 02:23 PM
He wasn't on a restricted 50 moped but a 125 scoot

Mr Snook, who was riding a Yamaha 125cc moped

Source - http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/11875994.Moped_rider_who_died_in_A350_crash_near_W arminster_named/?ref=rss

wheelers
26-03-15, 07:19 PM
not jumping on any band wagons, just stating fact.
I work/ed with 3 or 4 older (40+) riders of 50cc scooters and upto 125 usually chinese bikes. they all say trying to get upchequers hill on the A4 between Chip and Corsham they got so much trouble with cars overtaking and cutting back in, lorries right up their backs or being forced into the gutter that they all diverted round the back lanes taking their chances with mud and dirt rather than A road.

also from experience, my eldest has just sorted his accident after 3 years, after a van pulled across in front of him. the biker was travelling at speed, was the comment from witnesses. only proved incorrect as they witnessed the wrong bike.

redken1
26-03-15, 08:33 PM
I shall reserve judgement until the full investigation findings are in the public domain. Whatever the outcome it won’t bring back this young fella taken in his prime. My thoughts go out to his family. Always sad news.