PDA

View Full Version : Bike tax increases

Uber Dave
20-03-15, 12:58 PM
As per the article.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/road-tax-for-motorcycles-over-400cc-increased/26427.html

Dabz
20-03-15, 01:02 PM
£81 per bike, ouch

Wes
20-03-15, 06:31 PM
Its is, especially when you take into account the adverage annual mileage

Dabz
20-03-15, 07:03 PM
I was only taxing my track bike for the odd few trips, and with the baby I won't be doing many miles on the road bike either :/

Swanny
20-03-15, 07:16 PM
And don't forget when you buy your new bike you have to tax it straight away

Snowy
20-03-15, 07:28 PM
At least we've all saved that £1 on 3 litres of fuel recently......

BB
20-03-15, 10:33 PM
Bast*rds!

Gavuk
20-03-15, 10:56 PM
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of-transport-reduce-road-tax-on-motorcycles?recruiter=258177481&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

:D

redken1
21-03-15, 09:23 AM
Perhaps WB should contact David Attenborough to see if he would like to make a programme about a species under the threat of extinction.:p

BugsyB
21-03-15, 07:15 PM
Easy answer is to abolish Road Tax and gather the money on fuel. The more you drive and use fuel, the more you pay.

Swanny
21-03-15, 07:25 PM
They should be encouraging people to use bikes rather than the opposite
So much for all the going green BS they keep spouting

Republic
21-03-15, 09:50 PM
We who pay all form's of tax, are paying for those who don't pay it, if they was made too would we need a tax increase at all, politicians don't set a good example, is this why they don't put it on fuel, why would they, they have us too pay tax and they are not in it for us.

Burbler
22-03-15, 06:14 AM
Easy answer is to abolish Road Tax and gather the money on fuel. The more you drive and use fuel, the more you pay.

They have always done that AS WELL. Never had understood why there is such massive duty on fags, booze and fuel.

Republic
23-03-15, 07:53 AM
Not for MP's they claim it back on expenses, and the people they truly represent don't pay tax at all, your right it's all smoker and mirrors and all at our expense.

Jed
23-03-15, 01:32 PM
Given the state of the nations finances; I'm sorry but I can't get excited by a 1.7 or 1.25% increase (over 400/600 respectively). It grieves me that the money raised by VED is not spent on the roads, but again that is simply a function of how public services are funded. I have long wondered why VED is not scrapped and the money raised directly through an increase in fuel duty. A plausible if not 'the' answer lies in the fact that fuel prices are included in the official inflation figures so the govt won't take the hit on that or risk the implications to the financial markets, albeit only a one off increase. Maybe now with the recent drop in fuel prices this could be a good time to do it?

Jon_W
23-03-15, 02:28 PM
I can't say a £1 increase (for me this will cost a total of £2 extra per year) in bike tax will make much difference. Fuel and insurance costs pale this into insignificance.

WhyNot
30-03-15, 12:55 PM
Atleast its only a pound, it could have been a lot worse! I'll take a look at this thread in 5 years time and try not to cry...

Stuntsunlimited
31-03-15, 06:54 AM
They should be encouraging people to use bikes rather than the opposite
So much for all the going green BS they keep spouting

We all know the story with these.... I went ltd company last year. Basically I pay myself as little as possible each month. Apparently my company can pay for my R1 and there is a tax incentive for it. Thanks tax man.

Alan
31-03-15, 10:24 AM
Road tax is a way of ensuring vehicles are insured and MOT'd, which is one of the reasons I believe for the recent change where tax cannot be transferred with the vehicle. For this reason I am happy to keep road tax, although given the tax breaks for low emission cars, I think it is too high on bikes. The vehicle has to be insured and MOT'd to be taxed, and Road Tax is very easy to monitor, if a vehicle is not SORN'd or taxed, they can automatically issue a fine and ANPR will pick up vehicles that are not taxed. It would not be so easy to monitor insurance and MOT's. If it helps to keep the number of uninsured vehicles on the road down than I am in favour of it.