PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations good / bad?

jfranci1
03-03-15, 10:19 AM
Hi All,
I am thinking of buying a second hand Yamaha from Blades in Swindon, and would like to hear your advice, good and/or bad.
I had a look at the bike in question last Saturday (they knew I was coming). They pointed to the bike in question, which was
trapped in a line of bikes, and I had to ask them to get it out, so I could have a closer look at it. They were unable to answer any specific
questions I had about it, and I couldn't even hear the engine running as the battery was flat.
On top of that the salesperson, was of the old school second hand car salesmans tactics, "You don't get many in that condition"
and "you won't find one cheaper anywhere else", (Autotrader says otherwise,) etc., etc.
I was obviously not impressed, but would like to know whether my experience was a one off or not, so your comments would be appreciated,
Many thanks John

WR6133
03-03-15, 10:26 AM
Personally I'd never buy a 2nd hand bike from a dealer, I don't see any worthwhile reason to pay the premium over a (well researched) private sale (but I don't value my time at anything).

If they knew you were coming leaving it in the line, a flat battery and not quickly swotting up on its history seems inexcusable.

QB1
03-03-15, 11:28 AM
If they knew you were coming and couldnt even be bothered to shift it out and get a new battery or connect it up to get it started for you in my book they dont deserve to make a sale.

If they dont make any effort when you want to buy from them I hate to imagine how they'd deal with any after sale problems!

I'd look elsewhere, plenty of other places to buy bikes.

Alan
03-03-15, 11:37 AM
Personally I'd never buy a 2nd hand bike from a dealer, I don't see any worthwhile reason to pay the premium over a (well researched) private sale

I am with WR6133 on this one, look on Gumtree, Autotrader and eBay and see what is out there. Most bikers are honest and genuine, so as long as you do your homework and ask the right questions, you will probably get a much better deal than going to a dealer. I bought my bike off eBay unseen. Bit risky, but it was only 2 years old with 3k miles on the clock so I thought worth taking a chance, especially as it was at least £2k cheaper than I could find in the South West. Cost me £114 to have it collected and delivered. Might not be for everyone, but there are some bargains out there, especially up North

Nelly
03-03-15, 12:34 PM
I bought a CB500 for an ex up there and i couldn't fault the service to be honest. But i must say that Mikkie who used to work there was a bit different. He actually refused to sell me something once because he didn't feel that it would be right for me....
But surely if someone say they are interested in seeing something, then you would make a bit of an effort? Sad if its got to that...

WR6133
03-03-15, 01:04 PM
I actually applied for a job in that part of blade doing sales! They never even emailed me a refusal :(

Dabz
03-03-15, 01:39 PM
The trade centre up there will miss Mikkie as much as the rest of us will, I bought one from him for Hazel and the experience was exemplary

jfranci1
03-03-15, 03:54 PM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the feedback. I have a test ride this Saturday morning (FJR1300), so I will give them a second chance to see if things improve.
Cheers John

Swanny
03-03-15, 07:13 PM
Apart from Mikkie I don't think I'd buy a bike from a dealer, especially if they couldn't be arsed to move it so that I could have a look at it.

Ducatista
04-03-15, 08:50 AM
This dealer sounds awful. If they won't lift a finger for a sale then what help will you get if there's an issue?
Personally I don't think I'd give them a second chance.

However would point out that buying from a dealer does give you legal rights and whilst those can be troublesome to enforce directly, if you pay a small amount on a credit card then the card company are jointly liable.
If there are charges for paying by card then I usually put £1 on it as a precaution to get the protection.
That doesn't negate any research for me, just provides extra protection if the dealer goes bust (which does happen) or renages on their obligations - so I'd say there are definitely advantages in buying from a dealer.

gibbo
04-03-15, 09:44 AM
I believe the bike you are looking at has the auto box which some say can throw up a few glitches now and again. I'd plump for the manual FJR.

jfranci1
04-03-15, 01:48 PM
Hi Gibbo,
It's actually the blue bike in the used bike section, with manual box. I did have a quick look at the one you mentioned, and I just couldn't bear to bring myself to ride a bike without a clutch lever. I mean how can you do a controlled take off without a clutch? Or how can you trickle along in slow traffic, I like to "tickle" the clutch and drag the back brake. Can't see how you can do those things easily. Just my 2p worth.

Trev
04-03-15, 02:25 PM
Hi Gibbo,
It's actually the blue bike in the used bike section, with manual box. I did have a quick look at the one you mentioned, and I just couldn't bear to bring myself to ride a bike without a clutch lever. I mean how can you do a controlled take off without a clutch? Or how can you trickle along in slow traffic, I like to "tickle" the clutch and drag the back brake. Can't see how you can do those things easily. Just my 2p worth.

Not sure on the FJR auto but take a test ride on a DCT equipped Honda before making a judgement, I've been a 'clutch lever type of guy' since I learnt to ride in a field on an old TS100 (and still have a few bikes with this old fashioned transmission design ; ) ), but have to say I love the DCT on my NC700X and slow speed riding is an absolute piece of wee wee. They do a DCT Crosstourer if you want a big old lump with some more oomphh

matthews677
04-03-15, 10:23 PM
I bought my first bike from blade kawasaki in swindon. have to admit that they done everything in their power to help answer questions etc. didnt get to start it when i got there as it was inside and the weather was terrible but i couldn't fault the lad i was dealing with.
you might have got a lazy so and so and on saturday might be worth asking to deal with another sales person from the yamaha side who is willing to work for their sale.

jfranci1
09-03-15, 09:09 AM
Hi All,
Just thought that I would give an update. I arrived first thing Saturday morning, and the bike had been charged up and filled with 1/2 tank of petrol. I took it for a test ride, and cam back with a couple of reservations. The first was that the engine "ticked", which appeared to be cam chain noise. (the bike had 32K miles on the clock). The second was that the front end felt skittish at 70 mph, seemed to be hopping left and right. Only very slightly, but enough to make me feel that I could not relax on the bike. Speaking to the technician afterwards, and he said that the front end was set up on the softest of the settings, so I couldn't blame it on the front end being too stiff for me. With that in mind, I walked away from this bike, but will still be looking out for one. If anyone can offer any advice on FJR1300's that would be much appreciated. Many thanks, John

wheelers
09-03-15, 04:06 PM
firstly, your choice only you can decide.
secondly, how did mechanic know it was on the softest setting? did he set it himself? would anyone else there have known?? what would they have said???
were the tyres worn out or low or too high on pressure? that would make it wander, alternatively for a 32k mile bike could well have been wheel bearings or suspension bushes.
when was the fork oil checked or changed??
too many questions , dont blame yourself, if really interested you could get someone else to ride it as well.

jfranci1
10-03-15, 09:07 AM
Hi Wheelers,
Many thanks for your reply. The technician showed me the adjusters on the front forks. They have horizontal lines around a central shaft, that adds preload to the springs, and they were backed right off. i.e. 3 lines showing. The tyres were new, and appeared to be at the right pressure, although I did not have my pencil gauge with me to check them. The other points you mentioned are all equally valid, I just assumed that the dealer would have checked all that, as they advertise a 50 point check, on all their second hand bikes. Perhaps I should never assume anything, and check it all myself!
Cheers John

gibbo
14-03-15, 05:37 PM
Hi jf
The FJR is a great bike and I'm looking at a few myself at the moment. I googled the FJR and up came the FJR club which is based somewhere near Wootton Under Edge.
All the info you need to know including the FJR's Achilles Heel which seems to be rear linkage arm bearings which can seize if not maintained properly. Have a look anyway.

shiftyblake
15-03-15, 07:46 AM
I don't think that is unusual service car dealers are known for it but bike dealers in general are worse. I just don't expect anything like good service so I'm not disappointed. I made a special trip arranged to try on some rukka gear that they ordered in. £1400 at one of the dealers. The parts guy wasn't there and the other guy couldn't be arsed and told me to come back another day. I persisted and as much as he tried not for me to buy it I did. He even said that he couldn't do the sale today as he didn't know the price!

Kevinb
17-03-15, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't say no to a dealer bike but would like to know from others who have had dealings with them for some time.
I would buy from Phoenix in Trowbridge but that is a case of knowing them for years, not had any issues with them and always found them fair and helpful.

Mal103
20-03-15, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't say no to a dealer bike but would like to know from others who have had dealings with them for some time.
I would buy from Phoenix in Trowbridge but that is a case of knowing them for years, not had any issues with them and always found them fair and helpful.

I ended up having my MOT there end of last year as recommended by my normal MOT guy - he couldn't fit me in and it was close to xmas. Had great service and they explained what needed doing with a good quote, even rearranged their day to do it. Good all round experience, even though it was a Triumph in a Yamaha shop....