PDA

View Full Version : Cotswold Airport threatened

Last Train
20-02-15, 05:02 PM
And now this...

AV8 and Airport to close? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31530303)

FFS.........

I hope the bastids leave Compton Abbas alone !

Wes
20-02-15, 05:34 PM
Surely there are other areas available for development, be a shame if it does go :(

Dabz
20-02-15, 07:42 PM
A real shame :(

Julie_S
20-02-15, 07:48 PM
Problem is with airfields they are 'brown belt' land so far easier to develop than green belt, they count as being previously developed inside the entire perimeter fence, not just where the buildings and runways are. The reasons why so many of our second world war airfields disappeared under seas of house over the last 20 years or so. That would be a real shame. Did wonder why they hadn't held the airshow there for the last few years, something has obviously been brewing

There are quite a few vintage aircraft that fly out of there, particularly the Hunters (think the only flying Canberra is based there also?) a few years ago a Spitfire arrived imported from Australia for restoration, would be sad not to have that on our doorstep, there isn't anywhere else like it in our part of the country

Swanny
21-02-15, 11:25 AM
The immigrants need somewhere to live

redken1
21-02-15, 06:34 PM
I think you could be on to something there Swanny. Everyone knows that immigrants are to blame for the banking collapse and the recent bad weather. Now they could be responsible for closing our airports.:p:rolleyes:

Col
23-02-15, 05:46 PM
The Directors are cashing in for a huge lump sum each very likely.

simmo5159
26-02-15, 09:12 AM
Don't worry we will be open for a few more Hot Cross Bun Runs yet!

Julian
Air Traffic Service
Cotswold Airport

Ducatista
26-02-15, 10:04 AM
Far be it from me to put the cat amoungst the pigeons but there seems to be a degree of NIMBYism here.

We have a moderately serious housing crisis on our hands and a disengaged, disenfranchised younger population struggling to get on the housing ladder and consequently build their assets.
It's widely recognised that there is generational gap and not building enough houses is proliferating the situation.
This is not only down to immigration (which we need - any anyone that's had hospital treatment will know that) but also lower occupancy and people owning holliday homes or bolt holes.

It'd be interesting to hear from some of the parents here as to whether they'd rather have affordable housing for their offspring or a nice cafe to go to.
There is no doubt that it would be a loss, but sadly usually there usually aren't loads of other alternative sites.
If there is somewhere better to build then I'm fine with that - but we do need houses.

WR6133
26-02-15, 10:25 AM
As someone unable to currently get on the property ladder, I'd be sceptical of any "affordable" housing claim. The affordable parts of many of these new builds are now often shared ownership where essentially you pay a pile of money to still be a tenant in all but name.

Last Train
26-02-15, 11:19 AM

Julian
Air Traffic Service
Cotswold Airport

:cool:

Though I fear that now the offer has been mooted, progress will be quick.

Best we fill our boots while we can. :)

Burbler
26-02-15, 11:35 AM
I have a dream...

Instead of MORE housing, MORE hospitals, MORE roads, MORE runways, MORE trains, MORE schools, MORE prisons, MORE power generation etc...

Why can't we aim for LESS people ???

Ducatista
26-02-15, 04:13 PM
Why can't we aim for LESS people ???

Whilst we have open borders with the EU then that's pretty hard to implement.

BB
27-02-15, 10:20 PM
All very well keep building on places like that but could do with building on a few brown field sites rather can keep digging up the grass - even if the grass is between runways!

redken1
28-02-15, 02:35 PM
Local authorities across England plan to sell-off £13.5 billion of land and assets to property developers over the next five years as councils look for more ways to turn assets into sources of revenue - to make up the shortfall in the reduction of the block grant from central government - to help support local services. For example, Mendip Council are considering selling-off our small football pitch and play park in the Mount in Frome. It is a facility which is enjoyed and well used by local residents of all ages for various recreational activities. What really angers me is that on one hand our local and national politicians argue that obesity in our young is a time-bomb, yet on the other they are stealing our parks which they have no right to sell as they do not belong to them. Moreover, I doubt the land sale will be subjected to a proviso to provide affordable housing as this would significantly reduce the asking price. Of course, we need affordable housing, but this smacks of short-sighted short-term desperation. IMHO I can’t see how an unregulated private housing sector will provide genuine affordable housing for rent or to buy for most prospective ‘first timers’. Perhaps, if we viewed property, primarily as a home and not as a financial investment, I might be proved wrong.

WR6133
28-02-15, 02:57 PM
Perhaps, if we viewed property, primarily as a home and not as a financial investment, I might be proved wrong.

Hugely valid point about affordable housing.

The little village in the Rhondda my family is from used to be so cheap to buy an old miners terrace you could have found the required mortgage deposit in old pennies on the floor. Now that's no longer the case and hardly anyone living there owns their house because they have been snapped up (and prices driven up) by buy to let investors. The area is still a deprived, dump with little employment but that in itself has become a cash cow for the buy to let crowd as their tenants have their rent paid by the council.

Swanny
28-02-15, 03:42 PM
http://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dover_billboard.jpg

Dabz
28-02-15, 04:09 PM

Julian
Air Traffic Service
Cotswold Airport

Looking forward to this year's Bun Run :)

WR6133
28-02-15, 04:53 PM
Let me fix that billboard for you Swanny

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/dover_billboard_zpsjt4ngkwf.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/dover_billboard_zpsjt4ngkwf.jpg.html)

BB
28-02-15, 04:58 PM
snigger!

redken1
28-02-15, 06:49 PM
Let me fix that billboard for you Swanny

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/dover_billboard_zpsjt4ngkwf.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/dover_billboard_zpsjt4ngkwf.jpg.html)

Love it Ha ha!;)

Vulcanboy
07-03-15, 11:28 AM
Tut Tut ... just vote UKIP ... they'll sort the problems out ! It's gotta be true .... I read it in the Daily Mail ...

wasted_ace
07-03-15, 02:05 PM
Be a real shame to see Kemble Airfield close ( if it does ) as it's been a firm favourite for our group runs over the last three years.
But not much you can do about it.
Plus point is there's plenty of other airfields dotted about with decent facilities...
We are having a return to Shobden Airfield on the 15th..its a nice venue on the border with Wales..
If any of the WBs want to come along and try a new place then jump on board..