PDA

View Full Version : Wiltshire Bikers Trackday - never been on track? This could be your chance

Dabz
26-01-15, 09:38 AM
A few of us have been discussing holding a Wiltshire Bikers only trackday - the benefit of WB-only being that if anyone has always wanted to go on track but only has their road bike, it means they can give it a go in a safe environment where they know everyone.

We did some WB-only sessions at Castle Combe a few years back and a number of members did exactly that and really enjoyed it. All the fun of a trackday with none of the pressure.

We need to gauge interest first - it would be held on a Saturday at Llandow circuit, we ideally need 45 people at £55 a head. This allows 2 novice/beginners groups and one inters/fast group, plenty of tracktime during the day and a price that makes it worth a try if you're undecided whether the track is for you.

Interested to see how many would be interested - I know January is a quiet month on the forums anyway so not expecting many to list their names but some idea of interest would be helpful

Swanny
26-01-15, 10:22 AM
Llandow circuit is great fun in a car but it really eats your tyres. It's not very big and quite technical

http://www.llandow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/OUTLINE-300x146.jpg

Length = 1450m
Width = 9m A technically challenging circuit with both left and right hand bends – suitable for both cars & bikes

Swanny
26-01-15, 10:32 AM
Here's a video showing what the track looks like and how to get your lines all wrong :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ar_hEcvmi0

I think he should have stayed in Tescos car park :D

Nelly
26-01-15, 10:43 AM
Might be interested in that :)

Dabz
26-01-15, 11:01 AM
Llandow circuit is great fun in a car but it really eats your tyres. It's not very big and quite technical

http://www.llandow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/OUTLINE-300x146.jpg

Length = 1450m
Width = 9m A technically challenging circuit with both left and right hand bends – suitable for both cars & bikes

Yup, it's a perfect track for getting in to bike trackdays - no massively long straights for people to work up far too much speed on, and the paddock area is quite technically challenging. The SWB lot do trackdays there regularly which are really popular :)

Last Train
26-01-15, 11:53 AM
I'm in :D

Trev
26-01-15, 03:27 PM
Would be up for this, of course depending on date and very likely I can bring a +1 although may have to get him to sign up to the forum first!

Swanny
26-01-15, 06:00 PM
Yup, it's a perfect track for getting in to bike trackdays - no massively long straights for people to work up far too much speed on, and the paddock area is quite technically challenging. The SWB lot do trackdays there regularly which are really popular :)
You can still get a lot of speed up and the run offs on the two right hand bends after the chicane aren't very good.
The chicane isn't really there for a bike

I like the circuit, even though it completely destroyed my tyres :p

Snowy
26-01-15, 06:57 PM
I assume you'd need to have one piece or two piece leathers that zip together?

Wes
26-01-15, 07:42 PM

Yes mate
I would be up for this, can probably add another 3, fish, longjohn and nelson

Burbler
26-01-15, 07:44 PM

Yep and the zip needs to be 270° as well. Also noise checks !

Julie_S
26-01-15, 08:06 PM
I'd be up for that, the one we did at Castle Combe was great. Although it has since cost me a fair bit of money in more trackdays and leading to a complete change of track with my choice of bikes - never thought I'd be a sportsbike person

Being a Saturday I'm pretty sure Mike would come over too

Wes
26-01-15, 08:11 PM
Noise checks at Llandow are few and far between, not a worry as a rule, You are welcome to meet up with us on the way Julie :)

matthews677
26-01-15, 08:27 PM
ooooh i would be very interested. Are you thinking of getting anyone who can do some sort of instruction at all? I could probably do with a lot

Dabz
26-01-15, 08:35 PM
The numbers are adding up a lot faster than I expected, great to see a lot of interest in this!

I was hoping some of the experienced WB track day bunch might give some advice, maybe show some lines to take and whatnot

Wes
26-01-15, 08:53 PM
Happy to marshal if needed :) (as in on track)

Swanny
26-01-15, 09:11 PM
Someone on a bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0cZJ_Thk30

I think Gerry knows this circuit very well

wiltshire builders
26-01-15, 09:57 PM
Count me in.

Gerry
26-01-15, 10:14 PM
I'm in if we get the numbers :-)

Swanny - yes, intimately lol

Dabz
26-01-15, 10:43 PM
I count about 16 so far (I'll bring one more with me) so we're about a third of the way there in one day of the thread being up :)

Gerry - any of the WB track day gang likely to join us?

Red Zed 1
26-01-15, 11:43 PM
i would love a go at this..did bike safe at cc which i really enjoyed but i dont have leathers..got zip together textiles only..any idea on hiring or borrowing as i dont want to go to the expense of buying leathers when i probably wouldn't use them much(prefer textiles.)

Dabz
27-01-15, 10:57 AM
I think textiles are usually ok as long as they zip together, but I could be wrong!

Thinking Luke might be up for this too?

Burbler
27-01-15, 11:43 AM
If leathers were not compulsory, I would have been at it already. Not going to that expense just for a couple of track-days now and then.

Circuit Rules

Before using the circuit all participants MUST:

1. Sign an Indemnity form
2. Be over 19 years old
3. Provide a full motorcycle driving licence which has been held for more than 2 years
4. Be physically fit
5. Be a competent rider
6. Wear an approved helmet, leathers and gloves
No participants taking part shall have consumed or taken alcohol or any drug that will impair your
ability to ride/drive.
Participants must not race or compete against any other user.
The use of any form of timing equipment is not permitted.
Reckless or dangerous riding is expressly forbidden and anyone disobeying this rule may be
asked to leave. No refund will be made in these circumstances.
All participants on track days at Llandow Circuit MUST attend the Safety Briefing.

Last Train
27-01-15, 12:04 PM
After speaking to Wes at the Christmas meal about my leathers lacking a connecting zip and therefore the need to purchase some with said zip.

Well what do ya know, my leathers do have a zip :o

So all i'm gonna need to do is stop them shrinking too much over this winter (ahem) :o and I'm good to go :D

Let's Roll !

Trev
27-01-15, 06:57 PM
If you're an IAM member then you can do a 'Skills Day' on a circuit and textiles are acceptable but that's an exception I think

billinom8
27-01-15, 07:59 PM
i'll be up for it. have ridden llandow a fair few times and marshalled in novice and inters for swb.

if you would like someone to help with lines etc i'll be up for it.

mikeapm
27-01-15, 08:09 PM
I am interested in this. I am already booked on one in June as a novice. Which month are you thinking - might have to bring forward the purchase of new leathers.

Uber Dave
27-01-15, 08:49 PM
Count me in too!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

billinom8
27-01-15, 11:00 PM
do they have the zip that goes all the way around or just the little 6 inch zip across the back ?

you can get a 270 degree zip fitted. lwr gerry can fit one quite quickly and for a good price.

billinom8
27-01-15, 11:01 PM
After speaking to Wes at the Christmas meal about my leathers lacking a connecting zip and therefore the need to purchase some with said zip.

Well what do ya know, my leathers do have a zip :o

So all i'm gonna need to do is stop them shrinking too much over this winter (ahem) :o and I'm good to go :D

Let's Roll !

do they have the zip that goes all the way around or just the little 6 inch zip across the back ?

you can get a 270 degree zip fitted. lwr gerry can fit one quite quickly and for a good price.

Red Zed 1
27-01-15, 11:46 PM
I think textiles are usually ok as long as they zip together, but I could be wrong!

Thinking Luke might be up for this too?

luke would def be up for it..my textiles zip together and for 270 dgrees and come with armour etc but if i cant use them im not buying leathers so that would let me out..
i'd still come along and watch tho..

billinom8
28-01-15, 06:09 PM
luke would def be up for it..my textiles zip together and for 270 dgrees and come with armour etc but if i cant use them im not buying leathers so that would let me out..
i'd still come along and watch tho..

worth an email to Llandow i reckon.

Long John
28-01-15, 08:54 PM
Defiantly interested, especially if it's on the weekend. If your a regular size and are considering getting leathers, it's good time of year to have a look on ebay. Buy now when prices are low and if you don't need them after sell on once done, you might even make a few quid. Bought a set at the start of last winter, old design but really strong and heavy, like new. Still see similar on eBay for more money,

StreetHippo
29-01-15, 11:59 PM
I'm in Dabz!!!

DaytonaDog
30-01-15, 01:51 PM
Would love to give this a go but not sure Sabrina is suitable for thrashing around a track.

Wes
30-01-15, 05:28 PM
Only a short track, most bikes dont get out of 3rd :) watched a multistrada flying round last time, loads of fun no matter what you ride

boogitj
30-01-15, 08:29 PM
sounds good as novice

Trev
30-01-15, 10:08 PM
Only a short track, most bikes dont get out of 3rd :) watched a multistrada flying round last time, loads of fun no matter what you ride

Even a Royal Enfield, I would looooove to try and chug that round a circuit, bloody long way there though let alone thrashing the poor lump round a track

Last Train
31-01-15, 09:51 AM
Cuz R is a maybe

Gerry
31-01-15, 11:26 AM
Quick recap...

Definitely x 15
Friends of... x 4
Interested... x 3
Possible... x 4

Without being pessimistic, I recon there will be a rough 20% drop out on Definitely and 50% on the rest, that gives a total of 17/18 so far, well short of the 45 needed, I'm sure we will get more in time, but I think not the numbers needed for a WB only day. Is it time to look at alternatives ?

Sharing Llandow with another club. Advantages: Close, cheap Disadvantages: Short track.
A WB session at Castle Combe. Advantages: Close, our "own" session if we can get 12ish together. Disadvantages: Short sessions.
Picking a standard track day somewhere and all doing that one. Advantages: riding a proper track and proper session times. Disadvantages: Travel Distance.

I've put them in order of best for new trackdayers but it can't compare with No3, proper track, garages etc the real deal. Also remember that the Novice Group at a standard trackday is usually full of road bikes and lots of new riders, it isn't as frightening as it sounds ;-)

Other options ???

Happy to wait and see on the numbers though :-)

Wes
31-01-15, 12:27 PM
If we cant fill the entire day with wbers at Llandow, it could be worth asking if we can book in advance, filling say the novice group as a wb only, and the rest could filter into inters and fast.
Castle coombe is a decent local circuit which dont operate the usual type of nov/inter/fast, but there is a new to track group, this is as it says but doesnt go on ability or experience, if we contact them im sure we could make sure we all end up in the same groups, tho they only run on a wednesday.
Most other tracks are a bit of a distance away, a better day for sure, but as most could be riding there and back, it might be a bit of an ask.

Dabz
31-01-15, 12:48 PM
Castle Combe are happy for us to fill our own group if we have 12 or 24 (which would be 2 groups). Possibly also able to provide us some extra instructors for sighting laps - after all it's in their interests to get more people on track who might book again. We can negotiate a discount lik we did the last couple of times, but likely to be more like £90-100 so my gut is that we'd struggle to fill 12?

Also SWB are happy to organise a joint llandow day with extra novice groups if that's what our aim is. Could be a good idea to keep costs down for the riders - I'm not too familiar with the setup at llandow though and the short track doesn't fully appeal

I guess it depends what people want - I love the idea of a proper garage etc but then again as a novice i also enjoy doing Combe because it's close to home, familiar circuit, and always very accommodating to us.

And I need to get my ass in gear to find funds for a track bike ;)

Last Train
31-01-15, 02:34 PM
Good to see some other options put forward, thanks guys,

Combe would be my fave looking at the choices. A length track and an easy mooch home when you're knackered :)

And I need to get my ass in gear and fix my Firebolt.

Toph
31-01-15, 07:42 PM
I would seriously love to do a trackday.. definitely makes my juices flow, I rode competitive bike motorsport 30 years ago and the love of the adrenanline rush still flows through my veins.
BUT..
My beloved FZ1 is not only my bike of choice, but my personal transport , social, domestic and pleasure.. I need it to ride to work.
I'm worried that if I rode it on a trackday the old competitive spirit would kick in... and I would grow horns.
I would love to do a trackday on a dedicated trackbike, and would really enjoy it, but the fear of binning my yam would be always in the back of my mind, so would probably lessen the enjoyment of the day.
gotta save up for a trackbike.. would love to unlease the devil in me on the track.

Wes
31-01-15, 08:02 PM
Theres a company in Gloucester that hire trackbikes, ive seen them at the bikesafe day :)

Gerry
31-01-15, 08:31 PM
From what I've seen it's very expensive to hire a trackbike, and if you bin it, even more expensive!
It depends how serious people are but if two / three people joined forces you can get a bike for around a grand !
eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZX9R-Ninja-Track-bike-Race-bike-/271742597374?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f451ef8fe

Or road worthy !

http://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/r6/1082087781

Could be run in two groups in a day, novice & inters
Just a thought :-)

Trev
01-02-15, 02:39 AM
Toph, know what you mean but a track day hasn't got to be balls out, au could have a lot of fun on an FZ1 without being too crazy. A great chance to use more of its capabilities than you could on the road

Dabz
01-02-15, 10:56 AM
I've done a few track days on my road bike, really it's the ability to ride fast without worrying about potholes, drain covers, other traffic, mud etc. I actually went slower on track on average than I do on the road but faster through the corners. Taped over the speedo so I didn't check speed and race myself :p

Moo
01-02-15, 12:52 PM
Castle combe is ok as a local track but I find the biggest problem is the lack of track time as you get only 1 x 10min session per hour which includes 1 or more sighting/ warm up laps. The other issue is noise as their noise test is probably the strictest in the country where a lot of bikes with standard cans will fail which really ruins the day. Lovely circuit to ride though.

Gerry
02-02-15, 09:12 PM
Trev /Dabz, It's good to encourage Toph, bet remember he's an ex racer (is there such a thing) so whilst I totally agree that you don't have to push out of your comfort zone, I suspect the chance of him "taking it easy" is slim :-)
I can sympathise lol

Moo, totally agree, but I can't see enough numbers willing to travel from the club, it's a pity as Cadwell, Oulton, Brands are just awesome.
It was Scotty encouraging me, Chappers & Laim to go to Brands Indy that got us hooked and have given us so many brilliant days over the last few years.

Dabz
03-02-15, 10:26 AM
You're probably right Gerry - I suspect getting Toph on track might unleash a beast!

Trev
03-02-15, 12:59 PM
Trev /Dabz, It's good to encourage Toph, bet remember he's an ex racer (is there such a thing) so whilst I totally agree that you don't have to push out of your comfort zone, I suspect the chance of him "taking it easy" is slim :-)
I can sympathise lol

Good point, although so am I (albeit a long time ago and not a very good one!) and I've managed to tone down the competitive edge on the few trackdays I have done, the trick is to make sure you don't have a competitive bike ; )

billinom8
03-02-15, 04:52 PM
the trouble with castle combe is the noise level, anything louder than a mouse fart and you won't be allowed on circuit.

just because you are on a track doesn't mean you have to rag/race/thrash/scream and any other verbs you choose to use. you ride at whatever pace you like. I marshalle there a few years ago and was shoadowing one rider who was doing 56 mph down the straight and 9 mph into the bus stop. It really doesn't matter what your pace so throw that concern out the window, chances are you will ride faster and take more risks just riding to work if you were to put them down on paper.

leathers, yes they have to be worn and zip together, if you don't have them, ask. there might be a few spare sets drifting around the site that you can borrow.

swb did two at llandow last year, one normal in June and one novice day in August. They are both well populated with WBrs, the instructors provided by us were there between sessions to talk or advise if needed to anyone in their group aswell as when out to play.

the chicane at the end of the back straight has enough space to allow one bike to pass through in a straight line, it's there to slow people dow before the corner. there is an 'oh sh!t' lane at the end of the home straight just in case you feel you are going to over shoot (tut tut) or jump off (gerry).

yes the track is short, compared to donny or cadwell but it's the just slightly shorter than mallory but that means you get comfortable on circuit quicker and also you are doing the same corner every 50-70 seconds so you get to practice alot.

as a toe dipping exercise into the world of track llandow is ideal, ok so there are no garages, so take a gazebo. the circuit is run by very friendly people who are more than happy to have a laugh with you and help out.

if this was advertised on swb to help fill the groups you would get like minded and similar ability riders with the same outlook towards their pride and joy.

distance to Llandow is nothing, maybe 100 miles for you. i would advise against riding to a trackday as come the end of the day you are very tired. A lot get together and share vans or trailers. that way you can get 2 or 3 bikes together, split the cost or fuel, driving and rental 3 ways. plus you have people to talk to there and back, adds to the spirit and ecitement of the day.

look to the positive,
remember there isn't a maximum OR minimum speed,
no one is born an awesome rider despite what they may tell you,
at some point it was everyones first trackday,
you will be surrounded by friends in the same boat - all having fun
and
there will be lots of people on hand to make your day fun, fun , fun by helping you out.

Dabz
03-02-15, 05:16 PM
Spot on post :)

I wonder whether we should be looking to join forces with swb and do a novice day in the summer?

What are people's thoughts?

billinom8
03-02-15, 05:40 PM
i'll help you out all i can

Trev
03-02-15, 05:44 PM
Good post billinom8, I for one would be up for a shared day.

Good point on riding to the track, I've only done Thruxton and Castle Combe and always ridden, bloody knackered at the end of the day and Llandow would be way too far home for me at end of play (I live near Ringwood). I could probably use the company van but will need a hand heaving the bloody great lump of bike I will likely use in and out of it - unless noise regs allow a MT03 on Leo Vince cans ; )

Wes
03-02-15, 05:56 PM
Im happy to go with the majority vote, always have a good day with Simon and the SWBikers :)

Dabz
03-02-15, 08:08 PM
Maybe join forces with the SWB lot in the spring then and get some definite names down and money in the pot, and a date booked?

In the meantime the track day bunch can keep us up to date in the track days events forum with what they're up to and see what appetites they can wet?

Wes
03-02-15, 08:23 PM
Yep seems like a plan :)

Last Train
03-02-15, 08:52 PM
Yep, sounds good :cool:

Trev
03-02-15, 09:27 PM
I'm up for that

Julie_S
03-02-15, 10:02 PM
If you do decide to try Castle Combe again this year I am definitely in.

I have booked all the Castle Combe trackday dates off this year (except for the one preceding the race meet as that is always full of racers) in the hope that I will be able to make 2 of them in decent weather

Anyone thinking of trying a trackday I can't recommend it enough. Forget the 'track' bit of it, it's not racing, it will though teach you more than you can imagine about your bike, and your riding. I'm sure I learnt more in a couple of trackdays than I ever would have done on the road, some of the stuff I learnt I don't think I ever would have twigged, period.

Rabb
03-02-15, 10:50 PM
I would be up for this - if it was at Castle Coombe

Gerry
03-02-15, 10:52 PM
I'm happy with Llandow or Combe. I think newer (trackday) riders will have more fun at Llandow as it's a very friendly place and although it's short as you are busy 100% of the time 15 / 20 minute sessions is more than enough. No worries about noise either.

I'm more than happy to take a gazebo, tools etc and help out too.

Re the mention of the "Bus stop" and a problem I encountered there a couple of years ago, I only remember crossing the finish line in front of Moo and that's all that matters. Doing a somersault on the grass, my bike doing a somersault beside me, Moo skimming me as I crawled from the track on my knees are all completely forgotten as is the pain in my ribs and wallet ;-)

Happy days :-)

Moo
08-02-15, 08:56 PM
He he, I remember that day well Gerry :)

Had my own Llandow moment at the fast chicane though last year when I hit a 3 foot cone which smashed the belly pan and gave a rush of brown adrenaline!

billinom8
08-02-15, 10:40 PM

Had my own Llandow moment at the fast chicane though last year when I hit a 3 foot cone which smashed the belly pan and gave a rush of brown adrenaline!

The idea is to go past them, not through them.

Duh!

Gerry
09-02-15, 01:03 PM

I did that the year before too, although I think we may have had the same excuse, the guy in front hitting the brakes really hard so he could "negotiate" the chicane at 35 MPH lol

Dabz
10-02-15, 09:17 AM
Looks like we may have a date for this - being confirmed soon - huge thanks to Wes for organising and liaising with Llandow

billinom8
10-02-15, 06:54 PM
Looks like we may have a date for this - being confirmed soon - huge thanks to Wes for organising and liaising with Llandow

:-(

Wes
10-02-15, 06:55 PM
No probs, cheers to Simon for all the advice, should be a good day out :)

Gerry
10-02-15, 10:51 PM
Is that with Southwestbikers ? or on our own with invited guests ?
Well done Wes :-)

Dabz
11-02-15, 10:07 AM
It's on our own with invited guests (we'll probably invite some of the SWB bunch as we'll struggle with numbers otherwise)

It does mean the onus is on us to get the money in and pay because it's very expensive being a Saturday

Trev
11-02-15, 10:16 AM
I'm sure I saw a thread with the date in it but can't find it now, looked back through this thread and under track days but obviously being dim, what is the date that's been booked and where is the 'sign up' thread?

Dabz
11-02-15, 11:49 AM
I think Wes is going to post up a new thread when we've confirmed everything with Llandow fully, but for now it's provisionally Sat 1st August and the price is likely to be around £75 we think. Watch this space for a new thread though :)

Trev
11-02-15, 05:18 PM
Thanks, price looks great, well done. For me date not so good as my daughters birthday that weekend, time to get the thinking cap on ; )

WR6133
11-02-15, 05:26 PM
Thanks, price looks great, well done. For me date not so good as my daughters birthday that weekend, time to get the thinking cap on ; )

Treat daughter to a trackday?

Trev
11-02-15, 07:16 PM
Treat daughter to a trackday?

Chris, good to see you back and with your helpful suggestions as well ; )

WR6133
11-02-15, 07:31 PM
Chris, good to see you back and with your helpful suggestions as well ; )

I was gone?

Maybe this one is actually helpful....... health/beauty/wellness spar thingy weekend for 2...... that's daughter and wife very happy and you free to ride because that is one thing they would definitely not want you attending with them.

Trev
11-02-15, 07:51 PM
I was gone?

Maybe this one is actually helpful....... health/beauty/wellness spar thingy weekend for 2...... that's daughter and wife very happy and you free to ride because that is one thing they would definitely not want you attending with them.

Not seen you posting for a couple of weeks, assumed you had either jetted off to China or were in deepest, darkest Wales somewhere. Don't tell me you had locked yourself in your man cave?
Thanks for the advice but you think I'm made of money? I've two daughters so that makes 3 for a weekend away at a spa, I could get another bike for the cost of that! Best keep your advice to bike related matters, although judging from the response maybe not on GSXR pricing ; ) BTW you saved up enough to make an offer on mine yet, I can do you a good deal?

WR6133
11-02-15, 08:08 PM
I could get another bike for the cost of that!

I didn't say a good spa.......

Best keep your advice to bike related matters, although judging from the response maybe not on GSXR pricing ; )

Probably best I just shut up altogether, I do seem to be a bit "abrasive" it seems ;)

BTW you saved up enough to make an offer on mine yet, I can do you a good deal?

£19.25? I'm surprised you haven't sold it yet. Now this GSXR I would commit murder for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Suzuki-GSXR-750-K-Classic-Sports-Motorcycle-SALE-/291288051575?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43d21eef77

Trev
11-02-15, 09:57 PM
Your getting closer! I've only advertised it on this forum, MOT'd it Saturday in case someone decides they must have it but won't put it on Fleabay until end March/early April. Seriously, if you are interested I'm sure we could come to some agreement, would prefer it to go to someone 'sensible' and might save you a fortune in old Kawasaki spares

Like the look of the ebay link, that must value my 1100K at over two grand. That's a statement not a question, I don't want your opinion on second hand gixer prices ; )

WhyNot
12-02-15, 10:11 AM
Oh I do love to see bitching spread across a couple of threads instead of kept to one, its like being back at school boys...

I'd be well up for a trackday, although I have two issues

1) I havent owned a bike license for over 2 years
2) I have possibly the loudest bike on the forum so Coombe is sounding unlikely

If we can overcome point one then i'll bring the NC23, probably safer to the bank balance than potentially stacking the RSV anyway

Dabz
12-02-15, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately Llandow need you to have a bike license mate :/

WhyNot
12-02-15, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately Llandow need you to have a bike license mate :/

I have one, but I havent had it longer than two years, it'll be 18 months in August.

Dabz
12-02-15, 10:49 AM
Ahh ok, that might be ok then - sorry I misread it as in you used to have one and now haven't! Should be fine, we'll double check with the venue

Trev
12-02-15, 11:05 AM
Any advice from Llandow regulars would be appreciated on this:

I was thinking of taking my MT03 but it's on Leo Vince cans and quite noisy, at least on the overrun. Seen a few posts that noise restrictions not as tight as C.Combe yet both are listed as 105Db. The last time I did CC was on my GSXR11 with standard cans and that was passed as bang on 105Db and it's not a particularly noisy bike IMO. Several got turned away although surprisingly not a guy on a Ducati with Termi's, he guessed something about noise level at 3/4 revs not being too bad but it sounded bloody loud! I know that without an actual sound meter it is subjective but how many run 'race' exhausts, etc at Llandow that get the nod but wouldn't entertain trying it at CC? Wondering whether to take the chance with the MT or try and fire up the big 'ol Gixer

Gerry
12-02-15, 01:19 PM
Wes will know better I'm sure, but castle Combe have a funny way of measuring sound from memory, may be more revs than usual or closer to the can, can't remember. Llandow seems very relaxed on most things ;-)
I think you may well have more fun on the MT03 there's no straight as such so big power isn't really needed (that's my hope anyway) I recon a little MT03 may well embarrass some bigger bikes on track which is always fun :-)

Trev
12-02-15, 05:47 PM
Wes will know better I'm sure, but castle Combe have a funny way of measuring sound from memory, may be more revs than usual or closer to the can, can't remember. Llandow seems very relaxed on most things ;-)
I think you may well have more fun on the MT03 there's no straight as such so big power isn't really needed (that's my hope anyway) I recon a little MT03 may well embarrass some bigger bikes on track which is always fun :-)

Thanks Gerry, I could refit the stnd tail box but it's a bit of a faff as had to modify the tail tidy for the LV cans so will need to refit stand mudguard and tail light as well + the LV cans (together with the K&N) do seem to make a small but noticeable difference. It's good to hear that Llandow is a little more relaxed but don't want to use that as an excuse to take the pee or get it all the way there and not be able to ride.

As for 'a little MT03 may well embarrass some bigger bikes' - maybe should insert 'well ridden' in there somewhere, it will need to be a 'steady' rider on a big bike for me to embarrass anyone other than myself! Should still be a laugh though ; )

Wes
12-02-15, 06:31 PM
Castle coombe measure the bike static at 3/4 revs at approx the end of your exhaust, ive packed my baffle and only just make the 105db, Llandow do have a self imposed limit of 105db, but saying that i dont ever use my baffle there and have never been tested :)

Gerry
12-02-15, 06:46 PM
I'm sure it will be a good laugh, and should you happen to embarrass yourself (which I'm sure you won't) you would then belong to a small but select group of WB Llandow embarasees of which I was the second ;-)
Hopefully this year the guy who does the briefing will have forgotten, and I'll escape the briefing without a special mention lol

Thanks Gerry, I could refit the stnd tail box but it's a bit of a faff as had to modify the tail tidy for the LV cans so will need to refit stand mudguard and tail light as well + the LV cans (together with the K&N) do seem to make a small but noticeable difference. It's good to hear that Llandow is a little more relaxed but don't want to use that as an excuse to take the pee or get it all the way there and not be able to ride.

As for 'a little MT03 may well embarrass some bigger bikes' - maybe should insert 'well ridden' in there somewhere, it will need to be a 'steady' rider on a big bike for me to embarrass anyone other than myself! Should still be a laugh though ; )

billinom8
12-02-15, 07:42 PM
john never forgets.

they don't do noise tests as such but do keep an eye out for any window rattlers. if you have a baffle take it along just in case.

no fuel there so you would need a can with some in, unless you want to ride down into the local village (5 miles away) to top up.

the day is run to normal motorsport regs, flag system, sighting laps etc. this is all explained in the riders briefing though.

they like BOTH parts of your license to be presented when you go to sign in, so you have been warned.

there is no cover there so dig out the hats etc if it's gonna be sunny.

if you are nervous - ASK QUESTIONS, those that have done trackdays would have been in the same position you are so don't worry about it.

billinom8
12-02-15, 07:46 PM
It's on our own with invited guests (we'll probably invite some of the SWB bunch as we'll struggle with numbers otherwise)

It does mean the onus is on us to get the money in and pay because it's very expensive being a Saturday

make sure you get the money before you put the name on the riders list, you don't want 10 names down with no money 2 weeks before the day and then have riders bail. It happens all the time. We run it as, your name goes on the riders list when the cash hits the account.

Remember to send any payments to whoever is organising as a friends/family payment. This way there are no charges. You might not think a couple of quid matters but if everyone does it then you are £140 down (2 riders worth) when it comes to bill payment.

Dabz
12-02-15, 09:34 PM
Great advice, really appreciate the help you're giving mate and looking forward to meeting some of the SWB bunch

billinom8
18-02-15, 09:42 AM
remember, if you nver done a trackday before - you are a novice.

riding on the track can un nerve some faster road riders but can also unleash the beast of your more sedate road riders so treat it as a new experience and respect it and your other users.

don't try to break the lap record (it's 41 seconds at the moment).

please don't do nything to fall out with your bike, it's your best friend, take your time to warm your tyres, learn the lines and treat the throttle and brakes with respect. chances are you won't feel like you are going that fast, in reality you will be but don't spend all your time looking at your speedo. Some people actually cover the speedo as it is a distraction.

if you are that bothered bout it download an app called racechrono. it works using your gps in your phone and will give you lap times, speed etc - THAT YOU CHECK IN BETWEEN SESSIONS.

The only mod you HAVE to do to your bike is fold in or remove the mirrors. you don't have to tape lights, remove number plate etc. the rule is - what's behind you is behind you, only be concerned with what's in front.

when you are on circuit use all of it, it's not the road, make your corners as long as possible, there are cones positioned around Llandow that mark the turning in point, apex and exit point of your turning arc. ride to the cones using the full width. this will give you long, smooth corners.

Burbler
18-02-15, 12:32 PM
john never forgets.

they like BOTH parts of your license to be presented when you go to sign in, so you have been warned.

What is this strange alien licence ? Mine only has ONE part, and it's a bit of pinky paper ! Will that do ??

Gerry
18-02-15, 12:46 PM
I remember how strange it is at first with no mirrors, especially when moving right across the track into the apex on a bend, all your road riding safety kicks in, especially if you can hear a bike close behind you and you yearn to check behind you.
When you think about it though it makes perfect sense. At track speeds you have zero time to think about what's behind you and even if you knew, it's dangerous to move your line to get out of somebodies way.
If the rider behind has 100% responsibility on an overtake it's keeps things simple, what's more, in theory, the rider in fronts line shouldn't change.

I think most TD riders cover their speedo as Simon said, the urge to just have a little peek is very strong at first and you obviously only want to do this at your fastest bit on track - approaching the end of the straight, just the wrong place when you need to get your braking point on target. I know this through personal experience and another Oh**** moment ;-)
What still amazes me is how such a minute change of concentration can have such big consequences, a glance at a crow near the track, a glance at a Marshall you see on his walky-talky, somebody coming off track at the next bend, can all mean you are approaching "your" bend far to fast when you are on the limit anyway !

Reminds me of how much I love it all, although always at the start of a new season when I haven't been on track for a while I get hot just thinking about it lol I always seem to have another mini nervous switch when I see the sign for the race track, but it's funny, as soon as you get on track it's just mega exciting and all you can think about is going quicker and the guy in front of you.
I know it's not a "race" but it's still hard not to try to get round the guy (of neither sex) in front, and is always frustrating when somebody flies by you ! It makes me feel better knowing though that it's not just me, it's 95% of the people on track with you :-)

If there is the slightest bit of you that gets a thrill when you open up the throttle - try it, it's awesome !!!

Dabz
18-02-15, 01:18 PM
It took me about 2 sessions on my first trackday to get over the weirdness of turning in to a corner without checking if someone is in your blind spot, but it's about trusting the other people on the track and realising that if they're behind you it's their problem to let you turn in.

billinom8
19-02-15, 11:28 AM
pop along to swb llandow on june 5th to get a feel of things and try to set any nerves at ease, ask questions, watch what's going on etc.

you won't regret it.

Dabz
19-02-15, 11:44 AM
Might well do that mate depending on work :D