PDA

View Full Version : Shark Raw Helmet

BifferGaz
09-01-15, 08:24 PM
Looking for an open face helmet for the hotter summer months and came across this one advertised and liked the look. Was wondering if anyone owned one or has tried one out and could give an opinion on quality and comfort. The nearest supplier is Fowlers which is a fair old trudge from down here in Yeovil and I would happily avoid the trip if the helmets a piece of ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4x2qY60SY

Wes
09-01-15, 08:33 PM
Ive tried one at Fowlers and it felt really good, but I only wear Shark Helmets because of the good fitment for me personally.

wiltshire builders
10-01-15, 12:23 AM
As long as it's got the Gold star or the Kite mark then it's a good helmet. The rest is down to fit. I could tell you it's the most comfortable lid in the world but
1) What makes you think I know what I'm talking about?
2) what're the chances of us having the same shape head?
Fowlers have a massive selection so you'll find something. If not there's always Riders down the road.

wheelers
10-01-15, 08:59 AM
one thing to bear in mind with 'big' shops, is that many or no people might have tried the demo helmet on.
go to the bike show or anywhere that will let you buy the one you try. I did it once and it pinched my temple areas when I rode, gave me a headache.
London show comming up , may be a few bargains especially on last day:)

BifferGaz
10-01-15, 08:08 PM
I concede not all noggins are created are equal and the kite mark indicates adherence to safety standards. However, this helmet has integral goggles to which a face mask is attached. I guess I should have been specific as to my concerns regards quality in this area of the helmet...sorry if my initial enquiry appeared naive.

Swanny
10-01-15, 08:34 PM
Phoenix bike shop in Trowbridge sell Shark helmets
No idea if they stock that one though

I'm the same as Wes I only buy Shark helmets

WR6133
10-01-15, 08:48 PM
However, this helmet has integral goggles to which a face mask is attached.

I saw one of them in the mega motorcycle store last weekend. Gave it a bit of a prod because I wondered how loose/shoddy the mask bit would be and it seemed well made. Didn't try it on though bit rich for me at £210. Not sure I see the point though open face is...open face, why buy an open lid to then have integral mask and goggles that to all intent and purpose make a closed face (minus the added safety of a proper closed face).

Looks good though in a sort of fighter pilot meets mad max type style.

MaDMaX68
12-01-15, 03:15 PM
nice post........... :)

was wondering what the hell I was going to do as now gone from sports/streetfighters to a V rod, and not sure the piss pot is the way to go here in the UK weather!! or safety wise

but I think you may have shown me the light! there seems to be a few different styles and makes doing this now

cheers

WR6133
12-01-15, 04:06 PM
not sure the piss pot is the way to go here in the UK weather!! or safety wise

There are some DOT approved halfs, pots and Germans that from looking at I think they only don't get 22.05 due to them not coming down low enough. That said though I have an 22.05 approved Caberg that covers less of my head than the novelty German piss pot in my photo, god knows how that got approved.

MaDMaX68
12-01-15, 05:28 PM
There are some DOT approved halfs, pots and Germans that from looking at I think they only don't get 22.05 due to them not coming down low enough. That said though I have an 22.05 approved Caberg that covers less of my head than the novelty German piss pot in my photo, god knows how that got approved.

Am surprised you can get DOT approved pots and the like !
And def a little bit out of my comfort zone but I guess anything other than full face is a risk

WR6133
12-01-15, 05:33 PM
I've definitely seen a DOT german and a shorty on a US online store, I'll try to dig up a link later.

JoshFawkes42
12-01-15, 08:39 PM
Phoenix bike shop in Trowbridge sell Shark helmets
No idea if they stock that one though

I'm the same as Wes I only buy Shark helmets

Tried one of these on at Phoenix, they have them in stock atm i believe :) v.comfortable helmet! you can get it in full face or open :D

was looking of getting one myself :)

BifferGaz
22-01-15, 07:09 PM
I took the plunge and bought one of these (the soyouz paint job in mat black and grey). Can't believe how light it is in comparison to my Caberg. Added advantage, it looks pretty cool on

MaDMaX68
22-01-15, 07:25 PM
I took the plunge and bought one of these (the soyouz paint job in mat black and grey). Can't believe how light it is in comparison to my Caberg. Added advantage, it looks pretty cool on

after going to phoenix motorcycles in trowbridge on Tuesday and finding they haven't got any, I decided to shoot to fowlers in Bristol to try one on,,

the helmet itself I got on with, as you said very light, but the goggles and guard, what a pina ! once on its ok but a found it a struggle to left up with one hand, and I notice there was one helmet that obviously had been tried a few times, and it was quite lose , can imagine that being fun around 40-50 mph,

having said that, its def a cool helmet, and I hope you have nothing but pleasure wearing it :)

8_ball
23-01-15, 07:15 PM
ive tried one and they are comfy until you want to break the law and go a bit 'mad max' ????? then the mask tries to push throughh your face !!!! also you need to buy another visor to ride at night as it only comes with a dark. riding with the mask up over 40 mph and youll have a good neck work out, but they are cool.

they do do a ful face version which seems a little more strudy, but again dark visor ????

MaDMaX68
23-01-15, 07:28 PM
ive tried one and they are comfy until you want to break the law and go a bit 'mad max' ????? then the mask tries to push throughh your face !!!! also you need to buy another visor to ride at night as it only comes with a dark. riding with the mask up over 40 mph and youll have a good neck work out, but they are cool.

they do do a ful face version which seems a little more strudy, but again dark visor ????

gonna stick with my matt black XR1000 for now, I was nervous about not having a full face anyhows but glad to be put off open face ones by the RAW! def a cool helmet just better looking than wearing I guess!,,

BifferGaz
24-01-15, 05:18 PM
Horses for courses I guess. Yes, if i'm out to tear down the road then I want the protection of a full face. However, there are days when I fancy a bit of a bimble. On such days an open face, letting a bit of air to circulate, is just what the doctor ordered, especially in the heat of summer. I've got to be honest sometimes I'm in no rush and just enjoy relaxing and going with the flow. Got a feeling the Raw' will come into it's own on those days. It's all a matter of taste and matching the mood...

MaDMaX68
24-01-15, 07:23 PM
Horses for courses I guess. Yes, if i'm out to tear down the road then I want the protection of a full face. However, there are days when I fancy a bit of a bimble. On such days an open face, letting a bit of air to circulate, is just what the doctor ordered, especially in the heat of summer. I've got to be honest sometimes I'm in no rush and just enjoy relaxing and going with the flow. Got a feeling the Raw' will come into it's own on those days. It's all a matter of taste and matching the mood...

You are right mate, looks wise it's the bomb I just felt it was trying to be something it isn't

As in your prob just as well off in a pisspot with a pair of dirty dogs :)

And if I find the right one for a quick cruise down the road I'll get it

Either way happy biking dude

WR6133
24-01-15, 07:55 PM
I've definitely seen a DOT german and a shorty on a US online store, I'll try to dig up a link later.

Forgot to follow up on this

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Half-Helmets/115Matt - DOT german

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Half-Helmets/100FlatBlack - DOT shorty/half

Not really legal here but worst I've had for a blatant plastic novelty is a boring roadside safety lecture, DOT ones should have a proper liner comparable to 22.05 lids. £50 shipping is a killer though

BifferGaz
08-03-15, 01:30 PM
Got out today for a bit and decided to wear the new Shark Raw helmet for the first time. Was worried it might have been a little cold for an open face but I was very pleasantly surprised. The goggles did an excellent job of keeping cold air away so no annoying teary eyes. Also the helmet was extremely comfortable, offering head mobility only dreamed off in my Caberg full face. All in all, very happy with the purchase.