PDA

View Full Version : Royal Enfield front sprocket - nil Trev - one

Trev
05-12-14, 10:34 PM
Was passing the UK Enfield gurus, Hitchcocks near Coventry yesterday so picked up a couple of oil filter kits & oil + a larger front sprocket for my rocketship RE. It pulls the standard 17 tooth pretty well and will chug on up over 75 eventually (on the clock) but 55/60 the best cruising speed before it starts to feel like your wringing the poor things neck. Switching to the 18 tooth should lift the cruising speed by about 5 mph even if top speed won't increase -apart from down truly massooooooooove hills!

You need to drain the oil and remove the right hand casing to change the sprocket on these so an evening of fettling in the garage. Everything went well (silencer, footrest, kickstart, side casing off, chain split) apart from nut holding the sprocket on is 46mm across the flats and way outside largest spanner/sprocket size I own. Spent half hour tap tapping away with a drift and even chewed up the nut a bit before deciding to give it a miss and try and scrounge a spanner in the morning, I even thought it may be opposite direction thread on the output shaft.

Couldn't find any helpful info on tinternet so decided to give it one last try and what do you know, I wasn't using a big enough hammer! As my old engineering instructor used to say to me 'don't tickle it Smiffy, 'kin hit it!'