PDA

View Full Version : cold weather bonus horses?!

Nano
03-12-14, 10:14 PM
Any one else enjoying this lovelly dry cold weather? my bike seems to like it certainly getting a few extra horses with the colder drier air. Only down side is that is blooming freezing! I started wearing the thermal one piece with stylish bum flap and got caught changing at work, definitley lost my cool. Should the lack of humidity and heat make such a difference to a bike or is mine just wierd?

Swanny
03-12-14, 11:01 PM
Cold air definitely makes a difference :cool:

Kevinb
04-12-14, 01:49 PM
Pipes tend to pop and bark back in the cold weather. Sounds lovely

wheelers
04-12-14, 07:35 PM
cold air is denser so there is more body to the fuelmix so absorbs more fuel and is more efficient. methanol and NOS are cold fuels and used in race machines

Wes
04-12-14, 09:47 PM
:) much better running at lower temps, good for the engine, not so for the rider, but hey , its a fair trade off

theoldbaldone
04-12-14, 10:41 PM
Being a newbie I was just thinking the bike was having a good week, but after reading this post i now see, i was wanting to take it easy this week riding to work, with it being a bit slippy out and new tyres, but the bike was yelling at me "let's go" after coughing for a minute at start.

Trev
05-12-14, 12:12 PM
Can't wait to get the Enfield out this weekend and enjoy the extra 0.5 hp ; )

Republic
05-12-14, 10:18 PM
Started back to home from Honda at Swindon today at 13.00 with the sun in my eye's most of the way making it very very hard too see, not for me this time of the year the sun is too low in the sky.

Nano
05-12-14, 10:21 PM
Found this good article covering it http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/11097/how-does-cold-dry-weather-affect-horsepower

Whilst enjoying the extra horses this evening on the way home I found the not so fun winter problem of road salt! Glad I had the PR4s got me right before Uncle Gus came around the corner....blooming cold I had frost on my Visor when I got home.

Stay safe!

Swanny
06-12-14, 01:17 AM
Started back to home from Honda at Swindon today at 13.00 with the sun in my eye's most of the way making it very very hard too see, not for me this time of the year the sun is too low in the sky.
You're riding the wrong way. Turn around and ride the other way until it gets dark ;)

WR6133
06-12-14, 08:06 AM
sun in my eye's most of the way making it very very hard too see, not for me this time of the year the sun is too low in the sky.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fog-City-Proshield-Dark-Smoke-Universal-Visor-insert-none-pined-visors-only-/191118642657?pt=UK_Helmets_Headwear_Visor_Inserts_ Tear_Offs&hash=item2c7f8f0de1 The cheapskate solution (works extremely well)

Republic
08-12-14, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the advice, yes I may as well turn around I feel I have been going backwards for year's,
One quick question on my open face helmet when I put the stick on sun visor on my face when I take off will it pull my eyebrows out and will it hurt.

WR6133
08-12-14, 09:15 AM
will it pull my eyebrows out and will it hurt.

Yes but only in a mildly arousing way

Republic
08-12-14, 11:54 AM
Thanks Great I will get half a dozen