PDA

View Full Version : Poor rider !

shiftyblake
13-11-14, 08:39 AM
A chap wrote into the RIDE magazine and was quite upset. He said, ever since he brought a BMW GS nobody nods at him anymore !
:D

Snowy
13-11-14, 05:39 PM
I get loads of nods although it does tend to be only from other Beemer riders. When I nod to a sportsbike rider, they sometimes seem to be in state of confusion as to what to do and end up doing nothing;)

Jed
13-11-14, 05:44 PM
I wave at everyone I see; whether or not they nod/wave back is up to them!

Wes
13-11-14, 06:00 PM
yep ^^^^ :)

Killerflamingo
13-11-14, 10:08 PM
I like to include a camp little wave with my nod. Definitely confuses some riders.

pluggedinpete
14-11-14, 09:28 AM
I nod to most people, but it gets harder when a whole load of riders goes by, I start to feel like Churchill! :-) I've started not to bother with Peds though, as I've never had one back from a ped rider. I want to be inclusive, but whats the point if they don't acknowledge the nod? :-)

wiltshire builders
14-11-14, 09:55 AM
If you ain't got clip-ons you ain't getting a nod.
Fed up of getting blanked by cruisers, tourers and commuters!

Gavuk
14-11-14, 12:16 PM
I nod to all,but find the bmw gs owners or Harley owners don't respond....:p....went to France earlier this year,found bikers waving across 4-5 lanes of traffic going in the opposite direction...:) not to mention all the bikes that went past with their right foot hovering just above the road.
We went as a group of 7 large bikes,we found kids on Peds loved seeing us and often their passenger taking video of us going past,we could learn a thing from the French, of course they don't have the potholes or the traffic they we have to put up with :)

Trev
14-11-14, 12:20 PM
I get loads of nods although it does tend to be only from other Beemer riders. When I nod to a sportsbike rider, they sometimes seem to be in state of confusion as to what to do and end up doing nothing;)

Most times I give a nod or raise a hand so long as I'm not concentrating on a particular road or traffic situation, might explain why you don't get so many from sports bike riders, I know when I'm out on a Gixxer it can get a bit 'frantic' and nodding at someone is sometimes not high up the priority list ; )

My rule is; providing I feel safe to do so I acknowledge anyone on two wheels (yes including 'peds and Harleys, trying to be selective is too much hassle for no good reason) but don't usually keep my gaze on them long enough to see if it's returned or if they went first. I really don'r care whether they do or not unless I'm trying to signal a hazard or 'something else' to them. Givers gain as the saying goes

Kevinb
14-11-14, 01:44 PM
Maybe Harley will produce a big v-twin trails bike and then you would be guaranteed to be ignored

wheelers
14-11-14, 07:48 PM
we found kids on Peds loved seeing us and often their passenger taking video of us going past,we could learn a thing from the French, of course they don't have the potholes or the traffic they we have to put up with :)

just come back today from the Somme area, brilliant roads there are some that you could hit the second ton easy, then there are the sweeping and twisty bits. we remarked thatthe worst roads we came across were better than a lot of our A roads and a few motorways, especially the concrete slabbed ones!!
as for the kids on peds, they go round all day at 30kmph no problems, leve them parked on the pavement , a lesson for ours who just want to rant and kill them.
as for waving, it depends on if Im on the KLR, the Harley or Ducati as to who nods back, when the Brit Iron coms out its generally a different matter, different class..
you are less likely to get help on the road side with a race rep than a Beeza or Triumph.

Gavuk
14-11-14, 09:06 PM
I believe they have duty on petrol to pay for their roads but it must be spent on the roads in that area,makes a change from milking the taxpayer and giving it to bankers to pay themselves millions in bonus's :mad:

wiltshire builders
15-11-14, 08:03 AM
From bikers not nodding to fat cat bankers in only 2 posts. That's got to be a record.
Who's going to try and steer it to "send 'em all back" or "my Grandfather fought in the bloody war"?

Snowy
15-11-14, 08:19 AM
From bikers not nodding to fat cat bankers in only 2 posts. That's got to be a record.
Who's going to try and steer it to "send 'em all back" or "my Grandfather fought in the bloody war"?

Forums are a mecca for chinese whispers :D

The subject of nodding and who does it to whom and why doesn't everyone nod to everyone else, comes up every year on every motorcycle forum. Being on a few of these, I find it amusing to read the same thing being said by owners of certain brands or types of bike about everyone else. Its virtually verbatim copies doing the rounds. I'm also amazed as to why people think its an important subject and how hot under the collar some seem to get about it. Its like on Facebook when people moan that not all of their 450 "friends" wished them a happy birthday. Back on topic though, I do prefer to wave since my neck mobility isn't as good as it used to be, plus waving like the queen gives me a feeling of superiority as I ride high on my mighty BMW Gelande Strasse :D

Dabz
15-11-14, 10:15 AM

Where's Ken when you need him?? :P

wheelers
15-11-14, 07:16 PM
I believe they have duty on petrol to pay for their roads but it must be spent on the roads in that area,makes a change from milking the taxpayer and giving it to bankers to pay themselves millions in bonus's :mad:

not sure of the duty side but the most I paid for unleaded was 1.54 euros a litre this week so currently around £1.23 here aout the same. 2 months ago when we went last it was 1.23 euros
well worth any duty having driven and riding them

wheelers
15-11-14, 07:18 PM

my grandfather fought in WW1, 2 of his brothers are burried in Wimille and Thiepval the third is burried in Germany.

redken1
15-11-14, 10:38 PM
That's the romantic myth that bikers share a special bond which unites them, dead and buried. The divisions which are apparent in most walks of life exist within the biking fraternity too, so it would seem. I would never have dreamt of waving or nodding at a GS rider before I met Graeme. Lol. :D

Talking of Grandads and the war, I wonder what mine would have made of Sainsbury's Christmas advert glorifying the 'Great War' to promote their brand? The supermarket chain could have added some rats and missing limbs to the video to bring some authenticity to the ad. Perhaps that would not project the warm nicey Christmassy image they were looking for.

Swanny
15-11-14, 11:35 PM
Wow I just had a look at that advert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

Look how nice and clean their uniforms are, I guess they must use a good stain remover washing powder

My Grandad (his brother never came home) fought in the trenches in WW1 as well. I wonder who washed his uniform

I nod at all riders even Harley and BMW ones. I'm friendly even if they are ignorant bastards :D

Mal103
16-11-14, 09:46 PM
I generally nod to anyone on two wheels, to add another angle though I sometimes fail to nod to some, normally in dis-belief that they are wearing only a t-shirt, have their unfastened helmet sat almost on top of their head, wearing flip-flops, no gloves or just riding like a complete tw@t!

as we are in dual topic, anyone who thinks war is clean, organised, glorious hasn't been anywhere near one.

theoldbaldone
16-11-14, 10:12 PM
I always nod even little bikes as I started on a ybr and got the odd nod, but no to nodding stupid kid's who pull wheelies in town, do see a GS on the odd morning (Trowbridge to Bath) and do nod

Republic
18-11-14, 04:59 PM
I aways nod too all two wheels and too cars if consideration is shown, I get lots of nod back when
I am on the BMW, however when I am on the Honda msx125, I get a lot less about 50% less, pecking order of things I guess, but to me it's just bad manners,

Jon_W
19-11-14, 02:53 PM
I always nod even little bikes as I started on a ybr and got the odd nod, but no to nodding stupid kid's who pull wheelies in town, do see a GS on the odd morning (Trowbridge to Bath) and do nod

Do you mean a GS Suzuki or BMW??

If Suzuki, it's probably me.

I'm a miserable scrote and can't be arsed to nod..... especially at that time of the morning.

theoldbaldone
19-11-14, 03:29 PM
Do you mean a GS Suzuki or BMW??

If Suzuki, it's probably me.

I'm a miserable scrote and can't be arsed to nod..... especially at that time of the morning.

Hi, a BMW coming from Bath way towards Trowbridge, I don't see many bikes on my commute.

Vulcanboy
21-11-14, 05:02 PM
Keep nodding :p....