PDA

View Full Version : Our 300 mile ride-out!

KateD
04-11-14, 02:45 PM
Did my first very long ride on the CBR on Saturday - took the A345 from Pewsey to Salisbury, and then the A354 down to Weymouth for a bit of breakfast. Then took the coast road to Lyme Regis for a cup of tea on the seafront and headed on towards Exeter. Hopped onto the M5 and then the A30, and then off the A30 to Moretonhampstead. Had a baptism of fire coming off the A30 - you filter off and wait to cross the opposite carriageway, waiting for a gap in the (terrifyingly fast to me) traffic. My boyfriend went first and I had to wait for ages after him - all I could think of was "for gods's sake, don't bloody stall when you pull away". He admitted he was quite worried about me and could do nothing but wait for me to make it safely :eek:. Had lunch in Moretonhampstead and then we made our way back along the A382, M5 and then along the A303 all the way home.

It's done wonders for my confidence as there was a bit of everything involved - motorways, dual carriageways, lots of corners, parking up etc. Also feeling a bit more used to the CBR now - it's so different from the Gladius. The road down to Weymouth and on to Lyme Regis is a lovely route - well worth doing! In all we were out from 7.30 to 4.30 and got back VERY stiff and cold :D

Trev
04-11-14, 03:12 PM
Well done on a good day's riding, some great roads in that area especially this time of year when it's a bit quieter.

Recently I've found myself doing more and more back roads and lanes on my weekend rides, often not much more than 100 miles in 4 or 5 hours. Really enjoy that sort of riding but your post has reminded me how much fun a longer ride can be (not sure about too much dual carriageway & motorway though) so will sort a trip down to see my Brother in Cornwall for my next free weekend - thanks for posting.

KateD
04-11-14, 03:38 PM
To be honest Trev the motorway and dual carriageways bit were short - I think the longest I was on was about half an hour - but from an experience point of view, it was valuable for me as a new rider to get used to it - I'll have to go on both at times so may as well get used to it. I wouldn't have called it enjoyable (well, apart from the bit where I overtook a car full of boy racers in a Renault) but it did give me a chance to ride for a time at speed.

We often go to Cornwall as my in-laws live there - so I will be seeing alot more of the A30 next year as they're just past Bodmin.

Wes
04-11-14, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a good day out, sometimes the mways are a means to an end, weymouth is a sound destination, if you have time, carry on to portland bill, nice cafe at the end :)

Nelly
04-11-14, 04:46 PM
/\ /\ What Wes said. I like a nice little scoot down to Portland Lighthouse. :)

Trev
04-11-14, 04:53 PM
Kate, yup a necessary evil.

My brother's place overlooks Kennack Sands right at Southern most tip of Cornwall and if I go by car using main roads it's about 4 1/2 hours from my place (near Fordingbridge, edge of New Forest), on a bike I take one day to travel down along the South coast, across Dartmoor and back down to coast - 6 to 7 hours if only a couple of short stops, fantastic roads and lovely scenery. I then usually stay one night and the next day up to the North coast taking in some tiny coastal villages and dipping onto the A39 Atlantic highway to Bude and Bideford then either the A377 or A386 before deciding whether to take the quick route home from there (M5/A30) or get lost in deepest Zummerzet/Darset ; )

Great this time of year if we get a decent weekend although fitting the downward leg into daylight is a bit tight and as my brothers place is 2 miles along a bridleway and I prefer to get there before it gets dark

BB
04-11-14, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a great day out :cool: