PDA

View Full Version : The new R1 release

matthews677
03-11-14, 10:07 PM
Well today it looks like the new R1 was released. I personally think yamaha have done me a favour and the value of my bike can only go up from here. That front end look hideous. What do others think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWod24WB3VE

apparantly it will be £15-18k and an R1M model for £25k.

matthews677
03-11-14, 10:09 PM
MILAN SHOW: 200bhp Yamaha YZF-R1 revealed!

Highlights
• New 998cc crossplane in-line 4-cylinder, 4-valve engine
• 200PS without ram air
• Large capacity 10.5 litre airbox
• Titanium 4-2-1 exhaust
• Lightweight assist and slipper clutch
• Newly designed asymmetric aluminium Deltabox frame
• 1405mm wheelbase
• 199kg wet weight / 179kg dry weight
• Lightweight cast-magnesium wheels
• ABS with Yamaha Unified Brake System

The only thing the new YZF-R1 shares with the outgoing model is the name that has graced Yamaha’s superbikes since the launch of their first game-changer back in 1998 – and the firm is hoping this bike will help them recapture some of that magic.
Redesigned from the ground up, and now packing 200bhp into this new version of their crossplane inline four-cylinder motor, it weaves a host of MotoGP-derived rider aids into the deal, including traction control, anti-wheelie, a quickshifter, launch control, ABS, linked brakes and multiple riding modes. There will even be two versions of the bike for the first time since 2006; a standard R1, and a limited edition higher-spec YZF-R1M, which gets full carbon bodywork and Ohlins suspension, amongst a host of other upgrades.
Shedding weight has clearly been as high on the priority list as gaining power, and the bike now weighs an impressively featherweight 179kg dry, which equates to 199kg when the bike is fully fuelled and ready to ride.
One of the biggest changes to the new bike is going to be the price. The days of £9000 superbikes are well and truly at an end, and while no official price has been announced for the new pair of R1s, MCN understands that the base model will cost between £16,000 and £17,000, while the halo R1-M will be more like £25,000. With such a jump in price, it’s crucial that the new bike lives up to the price tag, and the spec sheet suggests that it can.
The new R1 will be available in dealers in March 2015.

Swanny
03-11-14, 10:50 PM
I like the look but not the price. Seems rather expensive given that people are moving away from sports bikes

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/2015-yamaha-yzf-r1/2015-Yamaha-YZF-R1-16.jpg

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/2015-yamaha-yzf-r1/2015-Yamaha-YZF-R1-31.jpg

Loads more pics here http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-yamaha-yzf-r1m/#more-75888

WR6133
03-11-14, 11:31 PM
That is hideous. Insane price too though I guess they know they can get away with it as people now just look at monthly payment costs.

Dabz
04-11-14, 08:55 AM
I'm not crazy on the looks but it's not that bad, but what a ridiculous pricetag. Lots of people are drawn to bikes because they give super-car performance with an affordable price tag. I can't see many people being able to justify £16k on a 'toy' and this new R1 isn't exactly a commuting tool. Unless it depreciates massively (which means it's way overpriced or not very good) then second hand models won't even be affordable before the next new R1 is released!

Trev
04-11-14, 09:42 AM
I quite like the looks but irrelevant to me as not something I'll be putting cash towards.

At £17k+ they're obviously looking to move upmarket and more to the realms of exclusivity. One of the great things about Jap sportsbikes was the accessibility, if that is lost then needs to be a compelling reason not to spend your dosh on a 'real' piece of exotica - if that's the sort of thing that floats your boat.

WR6133
04-11-14, 09:50 AM
I can't see many people being able to justify £16k on a 'toy' and this new R1 isn't exactly a commuting tool. Unless it depreciates massively (which means it's way overpriced or not very good) then second hand models won't even be affordable before the next new R1 is released!

I wouldn't think of it that way. How many wealthy mid life crisis, sunny sunday riders will see the specs on paper and then look at the cost monthly over 3 years. I doubt many will sell outright cash sales but PCP type "rent a bike" sales will be where it's at. After 3 years those garage queens will get chopped in for a newer one and the dealers will have a predictable stock of low mileage 2nd hand ones to finance on to the people that need slightly lower payment plans, a few years after that is when they will change hands private sale for cash.

Bike makers are just copying cars, look at some of the cash prices on small hatchbacks, absolutely crazy for what you get but they know most people don't even look at that they just look at what they pay per month over the few years they "own" (rent) it.

These bikes with their massive list of electronics and high price tags are more about showing off than having cheap fun at high speed...... if you want that there is little need to spend more than £2k on a GSXR750 SRAD or even just a few hundred pounds on a ZZR.

Sorry if above is a bit rambly my morning Tramadol is kicking in :confused:

Trev
04-11-14, 10:36 AM
if you want that there is little need to spend more than £2k on a GSXR750 SRAD or even just a few hundred pounds on a ZZR.

Add a few hundred £ to that and I've a nice lil' GSXR750Y you can have now that my 'new' toy has arrived, not exactly R1 performance but quick enough to put a smile on your face ; )

Kevinb
04-11-14, 01:28 PM
Why do they make them smaller with each new model? Great if you are a dwarf.

matthews677
04-11-14, 05:00 PM
I'm looking forward to the test ride reviews. Wonder how good it will actually be?

I think the price tag is way to steep as mentioned though. If I was to spend that money I would be off to the Ducati shop and buying something that doesn't look like a Star Wars alien with Googley eyes