PDA

View Full Version : Which Optimate?

WhyNot
03-11-14, 04:04 PM
Hello,

Its that time of year, with a bike notoriously bad on electrics. Just had the bike fully serviced at BikeWise and had a new battery, i've been recommended putting it on a optimate over winter, question is which one?

I know engine size is important to consider so its an 03 RSV Mille (v-twin 1000) and needs the extra turnover umph, does anyone have a good recommendation? I can see an optimate 3,4 and 8 but no idea which one to get. Budget isnt an issue if its going to save the battery.

Thanks in advance :)

Snowy
03-11-14, 05:40 PM
I've used an Optimate 3 Sp II for the last 10 years and that does what it says on the tin. What type of battery have you got?

Jed
03-11-14, 06:45 PM
I use an Accumate which does both 6 and 12 volt batteries and like Snowy's Optimate does what I says on the tin ie once the light goes green the battery is fully charged and stays that way.

Wes
03-11-14, 06:55 PM
If you dont intend to use the bike and theres no alarm, you might be better off removing the battery and bring it indoors, then recharge in the warm when you intend to start riding again. I dont tend to keep the battery on a optimiser, just give it a bit of a top up the day before im due to go out.

Silver Bird
05-11-14, 10:26 PM
I use the Optimate 4 on my Blackbird, I leave it plugged in all the time and have had no problems with it.

Cheers,

Len

MelkshamKwak
06-11-14, 09:29 AM
I have no power in my garage, so every winter i take my battery out and into my shed and leave it connected to a solar charger - works a treat.

wheelers
06-11-14, 12:23 PM
the Duke and CBR both use 10 year old optimates without problem, thinking of putting more on the BSA and Triumph because they dont get used often enough.
cant be ar$$ed taking the battery off because if the weather looks good I might want to go for a ride during winter. then half the plastics have to come off!!
also helps to keep the motor turning over and oil circulating on the cams.

really depends on what battery you have as well, Ive had better luck because I fit lucas ones, or Yuasa , the cheaper RobH ones dont last as long as they only cost half the others

Swanny
07-11-14, 05:58 PM
I have an optimate 5
I use it on the car, never needed to use it on the bike

Davezthomas
09-11-14, 04:32 PM
My optimate 3 served me well for a number of years, only replaced it because the new bike has a canbus so it wouldn't work

Snowy
09-11-14, 05:38 PM
My optimate 3 served me well for a number of years, only replaced it because the new bike has a canbus so it wouldn't work

You could just connect up the pigtail that came with it to the battery and bypass the canbus or do what I did which is to replace the accessory socket on the bike with a Powerlet one connected direct to the battery. That also gets rid of the 5 amp limitation on the canbus fed socket so you can run heated gear or a compressor. Just a thought.