PDA

View Full Version : best way to dry gloves!

Nano
16-10-14, 08:48 PM
Was out for a bimble yesterday and got caught in the downpoor soaked though my supposidly 100% waterproof gear and the short of it is my gloves will just not dry! I tried the old "open-them-out-with-a-old-toilet-roll-tube-and-stick-them-in-the-airing-cupboard-trick" but they are as wet as the moment I took them off. Anyone else got an bright ideas? Same goes for the tips of my fleece lined boots, also supposed to be waterproof.

WR6133
16-10-14, 10:40 PM
I pull mine as inside out as is possible (can never get the fingers out) and then leave them sat on a lukewarm radiator, still takes a couple of days to get 100% dry if a lot of water has got in, ended up buying multiple pairs for when I was doing deliveries as they always got wet just from pulling them on and off constantly.

Burbler
17-10-14, 04:51 PM
I keep hearing tales of leaking clothing. Must say that I've never had a problem, even with the cheaper stuff. Came back from Devizes to Bristol last Jan in a near gale with horizontal rain and not a teeny bit got inside.
Rain can run down sleeves and get in through the wrist. Need very tight fastening or gloves-inside-sleeves with sleeves done up tight.

Conehead
17-10-14, 08:14 PM
I stand them up ontop of the radiator so that the heat can get all the way to the finger tips. Always works for me.

shiftyblake
17-10-14, 08:50 PM
Radiator, crispy by the morning, never had GORETEX leak so would always go for that

Rabb
17-10-14, 10:19 PM
I have been through monsoon conditions last winter.
I put a thin towel over a double radiator then stand them upright on top of the towel so that they dry from the inside out.
Always dry by morning - but costs a fortune on the heating bill!!!
- But I don't do wet hands inside gloves on a bike.....

It won't damage the gloves as they are not in direct contact with the rad (and the towel soaks up any drips too)
They are also nice and warm to put on in the morning too!

Rabb
17-10-14, 10:21 PM
P.s. The same for your boots too mate

Red Zed 1
17-10-14, 11:39 PM
we have storage heaters in our house with a shelf above the dining room one..i put the gloves on a hanger and hang them from the shelf above the heater,drys them properly in a few hours without shrivelling them or affecting the linings..

Nano
18-10-14, 10:55 PM
looks like Iwill have to get 2 pairs and pop the rads on! Thanks for the suggestions! Got them dry at work finally with the use of a vacuum oven, it took 15 minutes but I got 200ml of water out of them! On the recommendation of one of myt collegues I bought a large pair of butyl rubber gloves to put over the top in the event of being caught out again.

Rabb
19-10-14, 10:36 AM
If you get your gloves wet and have no facility to dry them (there is nothing worse than riding with cold wet gloves on)
Go to a local petrol station and grab some of their vinyl gloves to put on inside your gloves
This works for cold hands too!

8_ball
19-10-14, 04:02 PM
i got two bits of old plastic waste pipe about 12 inches long ??? fit the gloves on one end and then stand them up on the radiator (the radiator can be on full then, because of the length of pipe)
still will not dry finger tips over night...

Kevinb
23-10-14, 01:18 PM
Propped up on a radiator and leave for days. Always have a spare set