PDA

View Full Version : Losing my nerve

Conehead
13-10-14, 10:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would ride my bike all day long if I could afford it but just recently I have found that I am losing my nerve with riding in the dark. I am not sure if it me or the tyres that I have lost confidence in and I am unable to afford a new set of tyres till the current BT021's have got down to the line. Saying that, I am fine during the day but find the bike twitchy in the wet, especially the front. I have had the light checked and re-checked and the aim is spot on but when riding it feels like it is to the left and too low as I think it only gives me about 30-40yds vision to the main part of the beam on the road. It is a powerful light bulb x2 as twin lights so that is not the issue.

Is there anything you helpful lot could recommend other than getting more dark riding time which I dont really have the time or confidence for.

wiltshire builders
13-10-14, 11:02 PM
Have you had your eyes tested recently? It could be you need glasses for night time driving/riding.

WR6133
13-10-14, 11:08 PM
What wattage bulbs? I think standard H4 are something like 55/50W, you can buy 100/90W I was considering one as my headlight is a bit pants too. Changing the colour of white can make an impact as well, I used to hate riding at night on my 125 and 250 with their crappy 35W standard yellowy white bulbs, I changed them to a much "whiter" light and the improvement was good.

Twitchy front may not be just tyres, could be suspension setup or even worn bearings.

Trev
14-10-14, 08:48 AM
Know how you feel, even though I've been riding for years I only feel comfortable riding at night on smaller/slower bikes, considering the ones I have are older with inferior lights and suspension it must be more about me than the bike. Have to say that I've not commuted on a bike for nearly 30 years and don't often ride at night by choice so for me undoubtedly a case of more practice if I want to shake the feeling, you may be the same.

We must get out for that ride out as we're only down the road from each other, maybe an excuse for a night ride?

Dabz
14-10-14, 12:09 PM
I had exactly this on my old TT600, didn't know if it was the bike or me losing my nerve. In the end I asked someone to ride it for me and they immediately identified the tyres weren't great (also BT-021's!) and the head bearings needed doing.

Might be worth asking someone you trust to have a spin on it and give their verdict?

wheelers
14-10-14, 12:23 PM
if the tyres are on the old side the walls or carcase could be collapsing, pressures good? fork seals ok? when was the fluid changed and bushes checked?
any play in the rear shock linkage as could be unsettling the chassis.
as for the headlight, go for a HiD conversion, would need to swap for MOT

jfranci1
14-10-14, 02:14 PM
I know this might sound strange, but lack of confidence in the dark can sometimes be due to lack of good visibility, which could require night time glasses as suggested or something as simple as a new visor?
A lot of small scratches on the visor can make everything that you see not clear, but in the daytime seem fine. Also have the bike checked over as suggested as well.

Conehead
14-10-14, 07:58 PM
Cheers for all the advice. Here are the answers. I appreciate everyones feedback and will give some a try. If you think of anything else do let me know.

I am running twin white lights think they were 55's so will try upgrading to 90's.
It might also be the visor, good shout as never thought of that.
My eyes are spot on as I used to wear glasses but had the op a few years back and have regular eye tests.
I doubt it is the bearings or setup as day riding is fine.
Pressures are what they normally are.
Tyres are only 1.5 yrs old.

shiftyblake
14-10-14, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately I ride long distance's during the winter months in the dark 50 miles plus each way over 4 years experience. I find that my nerve changes day by day. Some of it is psychological but it is mostly when my tyres get to 2/3rds worn. Generally however many corners I do they tend to flattern out. This leaves a cliff on the edge that drops the bike more suddenly until the bike leans over further. This I hate but have to put up with.
One thing that does help is to remember to relax, stop trying to dent the tank with my knees squeezed tight.
I ride an ST 1050 and I am staggered how sure footed the Bridgstone BT 30 GT is...
I think it also shows how in tune you are with your bike, noticing how much of a difference tyres make.

BikeTreads
14-10-14, 11:34 PM
Hi there, from what you have said it sounds like it's maybe a mental issue. Some people have a twitch then get into their head there is something wrong with the bike and just cannot get it out of their head after that. Riding at night does rely a lot more on feel from the bike as your vision is so reduced and also it's reached the time of year where it's wet and cold and this does effect how your bike will feel and ride.
BT021s are a good all round tyre but as with all tyres they do have a sweet spot so to speak which is the point where they operate at their best, this is not only temperate related but wear related too and once they wear past a certain point their performance begins to decrease.
If it's any help pop the bike down to us and we can certainly give it a good once over and check everything for you. If we find anything we think may effect how the bike will feel or ride we can price up to repair or replace anything needed.

Nano
15-10-14, 12:36 AM
I had the same feeling with my FZ6 totally crap lights! got some 100w philips specials and the difference is amazing much brighter and whiter so helps pick out pot holes and badgers much earlier. I would get about 40m on the old lamps these are more like 80 (reasonable illumiation on a dark lane). I also switched from contisports to PR4s as I am mostly commuting. These are amazing in the wet and on loose stuff (leaves gravel etc) no notice difference for commuting in wet and dry. Stopping time is awesome (maybe the new brake pads mind you!). I had a deer run out in front of me going through farleigh hungerford on night in the pissing rain managed a awesome unexpected stoppie (no spectators unfortunately) but the front never lost grip, did wonders for night riding my self confidence though! I also wear glasses for the night runs, I dont need it for the gov criteria, it does make me feel more confident with long distance vision as I have one slightly dodgy eye, I would recomend getting checked out. I am very unfashionable, I have a police like fluorescent jacket and lid, both of which make people double take at night which often prevents them pulling out in front or doing something silly I find it really works.

Rabb
15-10-14, 07:57 AM
Tyres are 'the most important' thing on your bike.
They are the only thing in contact with the road surface.
Bearing in mind that our climate is about 80% wet and 20% dry it is I believe very sensible to use tyres that are better suited to wet conditions. With this in mind I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3's about a year ago.
These tyres are great (best tyres I have ever used)
They last a very long time and don't do 'White line Shimmy' (even though I have tried to induce it by braking on a wet White line)
Trust me - these tyres might increase your confidence at anytime of the day (and in all weathers)

Long John
16-10-14, 07:39 PM
Noticed the same problem years ago when driving the car. Although I found out I needed glasses the optician explained that we rely on colour during the day but at night everything's monochrome, which makes a massive difference in the way your brain processes the information. May be worth asking an expert, if you haven't already.

Kevinb
17-10-14, 12:48 PM
I'm hoping to try my bike out this weekend. I haven't ridden it for 10 weeks plus due to having sciatica and I'm a bit nervous.
I'm going for a quick pootle around Trowbridge, North Bradley, Southwick etc.. (slowly) before attempting to go out with my wife.

If you spot me give an encouraging wave. Cheers Kev

Trev
17-10-14, 01:51 PM
Tyres are 'the most important' thing on your bike.
With this in mind I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3's about a year ago.
These tyres are great (best tyres I have ever used)

Big shout out from me as well for PR3's, have them on my Gixer11 and NC700X and can't rate them highly enough, will try the 4's out on the NC when (if!) the 3's wear out

Conehead
18-10-14, 09:00 PM
Update: I have been using a hand held tyre pressure gauge to check pressures and it kept reading correct. Went to garage today to check with their gauge and both my front and rear were 6 bar under. Feels loads better now and more planted just got to get my confidence back in the tyres. Shouldn't take long.

Now just to get brighter bulbs and new visor.

Thanks for all your help. Thought I was losing it.

Burbler
18-10-14, 09:56 PM
I have a double-barreled foot pump, a single and a mini. Also a digital gauge and a good old pop-out one. Can't get any two to coincide. Same tyre ranges from 36 psi to 50. Would not trust a fuel station one.

redken1
18-10-14, 10:20 PM
I have a double-barreled foot pump, a single and a mini. Also a digital gauge and a good old pop-out one. Can't get any two to coincide. Same tyre ranges from 36 psi to 50. Would not trust a fuel station one.

That is a huge differential. I suppose the best way to judge is if it feels right.

Kevinb
20-10-14, 01:26 PM
I'm hoping to try my bike out this weekend. I haven't ridden it for 10 weeks plus due to having sciatica and I'm a bit nervous.
I'm going for a quick pootle around Trowbridge, North Bradley, Southwick etc.. (slowly) before attempting to go out with my wife.

If you spot me give an encouraging wave. Cheers Kev

Managed to get out Sunday. Went out on my own and it felt like I had never been off of it. Still had to take it easy so I didn't twist my back. Then went to the farm shop Beckington with my wife.
Was that you Rosie waving madly?

Wes
20-10-14, 05:32 PM
Nice one Kev, glad it went well, CH ive bought some phillips ultra vision bulbs, fitted them and tbh dont notice too much difference, dont love riding at night, but not fazed by it either, just have to roll off the berries a bit to stay in the comfort zone.

Swanny
20-10-14, 09:20 PM
It's the light at dusk which is the worst

8_ball
21-10-14, 03:02 PM
ive read some of the posts but not all, sorry in advance if I say the same things ???

I love reaing at night.....'strange am I'. I used to hate it but hving kids has forced me to have to ride at night. less on the roads.....mostly.....better idea of the oncoming traffic......and a better sense of bike handling...
I can pick up issues on the bike earlier... worm bearings loose stuff and tyre issues as I rely more on feel than eye sight....

and occassionaly I get to go out in the day and the ride feels so much more ...........fun lol

KateD
22-10-14, 02:08 PM
It's the light at dusk which is the worst

This is so true. The first ride I had on my CBR about a month ago was after I got home from work one evening and went out with my boyfriend following me. I'd never ridden in anything other than daylight before so to ride an unfamiliar bike, in twilight, was pretty hairy. Something about your perception seems to alter - full light or full dark doesn't seem to cause problems, but dusk is a worry and I'm not happy riding in it.

Mal103
29-10-14, 01:34 PM
One of the biggest problems with adjusting is that a lot of the car drivers are doing the same thing and some of them are rolling disasters! Noticed it a lot this week with the clocks shifting, plenty of drivers meandering around the road and driving too slow, then the ones that slam their brakes on because they are dazzled or lose sight of the road. Don't believe there are still sooooo many drivers out there with dodgy headlights - it's a basic check that can even be done whilst in the car! Must have flashed a hundred of the numpties...

A few times I have just slotted in behind a car and followed as I have felt weary, plenty of mud and tractors trying to grab the last bit of sunshine, or low sun glaring in peoples eyes. Can't understand why more drivers don't have shades? I always used them as the sun is low in the sky, had a few people doing the salute at the T junction because they can't see a thing.
Gradually getting more confidence as I'm doing more night riding, just take it easy. :)