PDA

View Full Version : Is there any better road to ride within 25 miles of Swindon than ..............

shiftyblake
05-10-14, 08:46 PM
The Newbury to Wantage Road? ;);)

wiltshire builders
05-10-14, 09:52 PM
My money is on the A361. Big, fast, sweeping bends, beautiful countryside and some great pubs/cafés en route.

Republic
06-10-14, 08:40 AM
The A4 from Corsham too the sainsburys roundabout at Chippenham, A killer crossroads, a 50mph straight section, a unbelievably steep hill and a sweeping bend too a massive roundabout what a rush all in 2 miles, a must for an adrenaline junkies.

wheelers
06-10-14, 12:24 PM
Sandridge Hill comming out of Melksham towards Bromham , past the school at the bottom at 30 then wind through the climb and bends then a fast straight.

WR6133
06-10-14, 01:43 PM
When I've ridden to Birmingham, I've always enjoyed the A419 and A417 as I pass Swindon and use them to get to the (boring) M5. Favourite Wilts roads though I have no idea of the names I like to just randomly ride the small less used roads

Throttle_junkie
06-10-14, 01:52 PM
good road is the Marlborough to Pewsey road, not sure of its name, also the s-bends outside of Burbage towards Tidworth. A good ride is from swindon, out to Marlborough, on to Pewsey, then out towards Upavon, then either loop round back to Tidworth, or out to Amesbury. You could even just go from Pewsey, out towards Devizes, then out towards Lyneham, or back via Marlborough. Just be careful as the roads can get quite crudded up with dirt from farmers fields,

jfranci1
06-10-14, 01:53 PM
My favourite is the B4192 from Hungerford to Aldbourne and then to Marlborough via Stock Lane/Axford. A challenge to do a "brisk" 60 all the way, except through the villages of course.

Linford
06-10-14, 01:55 PM
It's a bit further than 25 miles, but I love the A46 from the M4 to the Bath Easton bypass. Lovely twisties, great views, unfortunately a couple of speed cameras though ;)

Dabz
06-10-14, 03:10 PM
That section is a 50mph now I think, 40 in some places, with shellgrip and rumble strips on the big bends :(

I like the Seend bends, not a long section but good fun

cuffy
07-10-14, 11:58 AM
Fish hill. :)

wheelers
07-10-14, 12:27 PM
when we were full time marshalling, we used to ride The Fosse., back in the eighties and early nineties we used to leave Chip at 6, drop in at Hullavington then Cirencester and onto the fosseway, stop at Moreton in Marsh for an early coffee then non stop to signing on at Mallory or Donnington.
was some real good straights and bends, then the Warwick by pass went in past Wellesbourne Airfield , we became members of the 180 club along the bypass...
wouldnt do it now, in those days we didnt see sunday markets , only the odd Merc sprinter.
so good we used to ride up saturday, back in the evening and back up again sunday all for the love of riding and racing... happy days

Trev
07-10-14, 12:37 PM
Not within 25 miles of you but the A30 Shaftesbury to Salisbury is s lovely stretch of road, about 20 miles usually very quiet, decent surface for the most part and with a good mix of open and blind corners and plenty of nice places for a coffee or a beer at either end

Scotty
10-10-14, 07:32 AM
The Newbury to Wantage Road? ;);)
The B4494 isn't bad, but it's bumpy in places. The A338 is a better road, but visibility round bends is limited. possibly the best road in this area is the A343 (Andover road) between Highclere and Hurstborne Tarrant. If you want good, fast, relatively empty roads, go up to Rutland. If you want good fast completely empty roads, go to Spain.

KateD
20-10-14, 02:23 PM
The road to Tidworth Army camp off the A303 (just past Countess Roundabout) is lovely on a sunny day. I'm a new rider, so just getting to grips with riding the roads around where I live - also did the A338 Hungerford - Wantage road yesterday which was great fun :)

WR6133
20-10-14, 02:29 PM
The road to Tidworth Army camp off the A303 (just past Countess Roundabout) is lovely on a sunny day.

If you are local to Tidworth/Bulford and like that try this

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/map_zpsc263484b.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/map_zpsc263484b.jpg.html)

Other than the Bulford - Tidworth bit it's mostly old back roads that not many cars use much.

matthews677
20-10-14, 09:10 PM
should try a few of these. love the 'S' bend that is near bulford camp before going to durrington on that range road. not been down some of those other ones though. are they gritty or muddy as i know a lot of the roads around here are :(

WR6133
20-10-14, 09:16 PM
The map above most of the time is fairly clean roads, sometime bits of the bulford - netheravon bit can be a little mucky from farm vehicles but not really bad.