PDA

View Full Version : Hi .... New Biker

Temporaltraveller
01-10-14, 02:34 PM
Hi all,

I am new to big biking, although I did have a scooter a while back, maybe I shouldn't mention that though.
Found the 'wiltshire Bikers' website and as I live near Salisbury thought it would be good to be able to meet up and share experiences, rides etc.
Just about to take my Mod 2 final test and have bought a bike, suzuki gsx650f, arrived today and looks bigger than I remember in the dealers, used to kawasaki er6n which I have been riding for training etc.

If any of you experienced riders have any hints or tips before I take it out fir it's initial ride I would be really grateful. Also if any of you guys live near Salisbury and wouldn't mind a slow careful newbie tagging along for the odd ride that would be great.

Many thanks

Tony

WR6133
01-10-14, 02:50 PM
Welcome. I'm not far away in Tidworth. Who you doing your training with? Watch out for hard to see stop signs in Salisbury on MOD 2!

Temporaltraveller
01-10-14, 02:58 PM
Thanks.

Doing training etc with pheonix at Amesbury, am at Shrewton myself. Thanks for tip about signs 😊

Nelly
01-10-14, 03:14 PM
Welcome along :)

WR6133
01-10-14, 05:37 PM
Thanks.

Doing training etc with pheonix at Amesbury, am at Shrewton myself. Thanks for tip about signs 

Did mine with them great instruction but I hated the ER6N. The examiner at Salisbury (if it's the same guy still.... rides a bmw) is pretty chilled out, I probably should have failed but he let me pass with 7 minors.

Wes
01-10-14, 06:04 PM
Hi and welcome

BB
01-10-14, 06:44 PM
Hi and welcome to WB :cool:

Republic
01-10-14, 07:53 PM
Hello and welcome

Temporaltraveller
01-10-14, 08:16 PM
Know what you mean bout er6n, they are a bit lumpy. Hoping I get a good examiner too ☺️

Last Train
01-10-14, 08:53 PM
Evenin Tony :)

Toph
01-10-14, 08:58 PM
'ello!.. welcome to Wiltshire Bikers!

Good luck with MOD2
Best advice I can give is talk to your self throughout the test... give yourself a running commentary, just like your trainer does through your earpiece... remember your lifesavers and cancel your indicators.. tbh, mod 2 is far easier than mod1...you'll be fine mate.. relax and enjoy!

Jed
02-10-14, 09:11 PM
Hello and welcome

Temporaltraveller
03-10-14, 05:01 PM
Just to let you know I passed my mod 2 today, only 2 minor faults so all good. Will be out on the road next few days on my bike, practising and getting the feel of it and starting my riding experience. Thanks for the tips by way, think I managed to remember to cancel my indicators which was one thing the instructor kept having to remind me of 😎

theoldbaldone
03-10-14, 05:42 PM
Well done 😊

WR6133
03-10-14, 06:27 PM
Congratulations

Last Train
03-10-14, 07:29 PM
Well done on the pass Tony :cool:

So it must be your fault that Autumn arrives tomorrow.

Thanks for that....

;)

BB
03-10-14, 10:07 PM
Well done to you :cool:

matthews677
05-10-14, 05:33 PM
hello and welcome and congratulations. i done my training with phoenix and have recommended them to others. take care and enjoy racking up the miles :)

Republic
05-10-14, 06:43 PM
Very Well Done, talk it steady and see and be seen and you will have many years of great fun on your motorcycle

Davegsr
05-10-14, 08:23 PM
Well done on passing.

Conehead
05-10-14, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the group

Temporaltraveller
14-10-14, 03:20 PM
Hi guys, well going on a week and a half since I passed my mod 2 and still not been out on the new bike, weather has been pretty awful and would rather take her out in the dry to start with while I familiarise myself.
Can anyone suggest an easy riding route for a short jaunt out, weather permitting, (am in Shrewton). Thanks.

WR6133
14-10-14, 03:46 PM
How short? If I want a really short hoon in the local area I have a "lap" I do when bored and feeling like riding like a loony. If you head down toward Bulford, down the bulford droveway, range road to Tidworth, through Tidworth then take the turning off the 338 for everleigh, before everleigh there is a left turn (just before the old pub) this takes you along the country road to Haxton and Netheravon, as you pass through Netheravon take the turning before the garage that leads up to the army estate, as you pass the kids nursery on the estate turn right, follow that country road and it will lead out back at Bulford droveway (the milston road junction). It's mostly fast straights, with a few decent corners and a couple of blind hills.

Edit - added map

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/map_zpsc263484b.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/map_zpsc263484b.jpg.html)

Kopite
14-10-14, 04:54 PM
Hello and welcome.

Vulcanboy
15-10-14, 09:35 PM
Congratulations and welcome. ;) Richard

Trev
15-10-14, 09:53 PM
Hi Tony, welcome and congrats on your test. Happy to meet up for a gentle ride out, I'm the other side of Shrewton from you but happy to pop out your way or meat up somewhere. Can't do this weekend as doing IAM slow riding course on Saturday and already out on Sunday with a newbie co-worker of mine who wants to get used to his 125 before he starts commuting on it.

Temporaltraveller
18-10-14, 12:24 PM
Hi wr1633,

Thanks for the route update, think part of it actually follows some of the route we used for ride outs while training so am familiar with some of the roads. Weather still awful though so not been out yet, hopefully soon and will definitely give it a go 😊. Prob won't be doing the fast riding bit for a while until I have practised a bit. Need to get used to different set up and balance of bike.

Temporaltraveller
18-10-14, 12:33 PM
Hi Trev,

Thanks for the offer of ride out, is appreciated and be nice to catch up with people from the group. Glad you said not this weekend, weather ain't exactly great 💦, be good another weekend though 😊. Gentle ride sounds fine, I need to get the feel of new bike and see how she handles, so won't be disappearing into the distance he he. Let me know some dates you are free and we can arrange to meet up 🚴.