PDA

View Full Version : Condensation in the clocks

himaro
05-09-14, 01:13 PM
How do you get rid of condensation in the clocks?
My Yamaha MT-03 has been getting stedily worse as time goes by.
I litterally can't read the digital clocks at the moment...

I was thinking of getting a tiny drill bit and popping a small hole in the bottom to get some air flow but i'm hesitent to do that...

Conehead
05-09-14, 01:37 PM
I would complain to yamaha first and see what happens. It might just need a new rubber seal.

Trev
05-09-14, 02:21 PM
If it's a newish bike then give Yamaha a go, I understood that clocks were being replaced under warranty but not sure whether there was any 'goodwill' from them on out of warranty bikes. Mine's done this from pretty much day one but only in the revcounter and nowhere near this bad, it doesn't bother me as I rarely look at the rev counter on the MT but if mine weere as bad as yours are then would be a pain.

Jon_W
12-09-14, 11:11 AM
The clocks should be sealed to prevent that. I'd complain to Yamaha.

himaro
14-09-14, 12:37 PM
As an update, I've spoken to both Yamaha and Fowlers now
it's not confirmed yet but it looks like they're going to sort it for me.

Fowlers were hesitent until i forwarded them the email i had back from Yamaha as it means it's not coming out of their pocket....

Rabb
14-09-14, 08:40 PM
I was going to suggest what I did on my bike when I had the same proble

I opened the clocks up
Dried out with a hair dryer
Re-seated the rubber mounting with a line of Vaseline
Cured the problem - and has not re-occurred in two years (I am an "all year round biker")

himaro
15-09-14, 12:07 PM
If push came to shove, that's pretty much what i was going to do.
My main issue is that i lack a Garage to work in now.
Swindon needs one of those 'rent a spot to work on a bike yourself' garages.
I think i read a while back London has one or two of them.

Rabb
17-09-14, 09:44 AM
If push came to shove, that's pretty much what i was going to do.
My main issue is that i lack a Garage to work in now.
Swindon needs one of those 'rent a spot to work on a bike yourself' garages.
I think i read a while back London has one or two of them.

Get Fowlers to fix it - for ease and peace of mind.
The phrase "Not of merchantable quality" should be used with them - Extract from "Sale of Goods Act 1979"

himaro
17-09-14, 02:16 PM
More news

Alistair Good Morning
Follwing discussions with my Service Manager I have been advised that due to the purchase date from Fowlers and taking into the age of the bike Fowlers are unable to assist with the cost of repair/replacement of the instruments.
Carol our Warranty Administer is in receipt of your email along with the pictures and will be processing a goodwill request and will contact you just as soon as Yamaha have advised her of there position/decision.

fuming.
I'm waiting for them to contact me about what Yamaha say and I've also got a friend from work who knows one of the mechanics at fowlers. She's going to have a 'word' with him.

failing that, i'm going to start throwing my toys out the pram at them.

Rabb
17-09-14, 06:10 PM
Phone them up - Ask to speak with their Manager and mention the 'merchantable quality' phrase - you will find it works a treat.

Rabb
18-09-14, 09:38 AM
Using the phrase "Not of merchantable quality" is a pseudo legal phrase which implies that you will take it further legally.