PDA

View Full Version : conversation starter

Trev
18-08-14, 12:04 PM
Took the Royal Enfield out for a potter around the back lanes around Tisbury/Shaftesbury/Fovant on Sunday morning, clocked about 70 miles through some lovely villages and some surprisingly fun (at least on a RE) backlanes. Was my Dad's stomping ground when he was a kid and he often recounts tales of back lane blasts and 'races' to Salisbury so riding the 500 single through some of the villages he recalls was nice, bet he covered the ground a bit quicker on his Gold Star though ; )

We stopped in Tisbury for a coffee and had six separate people come up and chat about the bike, three of whom were RE owners themselves. I don't think any of my other bikes would have encouraged so much discussion unless I was at a 'bikers meet' and even then I'm not sure. It was a toss up between taking the RE out with my wife as pillion or a lone blast on the Gixer, glad I took the slow option but think I'm growing old before my time, I'll be polishing the bloody thing next!

Conehead
18-08-14, 03:45 PM
Sounds like great fun. I enjoy a pootle about sometimes too just to watch the world go by.

Beware, once you start polishing life begins to end. :0)

Grey haired bloke
19-08-14, 02:19 PM
I think there's something to be said for a 'plod' style ride, every now and again I'll go out onto the quieter back roads and lanes and make the effort of not doing more than 50mph tops, it just makes a pleasant change and it gives you a little more time to take in the scenery.

Trev
19-08-14, 04:53 PM
I think there's something to be said for a 'plod' style ride, every now and again I'll go out onto the quieter back roads and lanes and make the effort of not doing more than 50mph tops, it just makes a pleasant change and it gives you a little more time to take in the scenery.

Get yourself an RE and save yourself the effort of trying not to do more than 50mph ; )

Grey haired bloke
21-08-14, 08:40 PM
It's funny you say that Trev, while I was at 'Not Poole Quay' at Cranborne, I was watching some of the old bikes coming and going and I really fancy the idea of an old British bike for such occasions, though I'm not sure my skills with spanners and sockets are up to scratch.

Trev
25-08-14, 08:39 AM
It's funny you say that Trev, while I was at 'Not Poole Quay' at Cranborne, I was watching some of the old bikes coming and going and I really fancy the idea of an old British bike for such occasions, though I'm not sure my skills with spanners and sockets are up to scratch.

Next time your there give me a shout and I'll bring the RE over and u can try it out. Not there this week as daughters 21st

SupeRDel
25-08-14, 09:18 AM
Try riding a RD400 from the 70's mate with expansion chambers fitted.

Can't go anywhere without being accosted by someone saying.... "I had one of those" or similar - "I can remember" - "not seen one of them in....."

Have ridden into chippenham town centre on a saturday just to drop a cheque in the bank and been gone for 2 hours because passers by start asking about the bike.
You get it refueling in garages, been stopped at traffic lights and drivers will wind windows down to speak to you.

Second effect is the riding one...........
The expansion do "ring-a-ding" a bit. People hear you coming and and the noise stirs old 70's memories. Have seen chaps with families stop and point, and you get a beaming smile from some and a big thumbs up!
On the road drivers will drive beside you and give the thumbs up (sometimes give them a little squirt of the pipes)

Have ridden on motorways and become aware of cars beside you going the same speed - you look across and someone will be pointing a camera phone at you

I have more fun, enjoyment riding the old 400 than I do XJR1300

Grey haired bloke
25-08-14, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the offer Trev.

Del,
Ah, the sound of a two stroke with expansion chambers a true sound of the 70's, with a slight haze of blue smoke I might add, the sound of my misbegotten yoof :)
Suzuki GT 250
Honda 250 Superdream
Kawasaki 350 Triple
Suzuki GT550
Suzuki GS550
Kawasaki Z1000 with a full Dunstall exhaust also with and without a Squire Sports sidecar, depended on what kind of mood I was in.
Kawasaki ST1000 with Polaris full fairing.

SupeRDel
25-08-14, 02:30 PM
One bike in your list that has no "nostalgia" effect is the CB250 Superdream.

SupeRDel
25-08-14, 02:40 PM
Pix from this years Aircooled RD club rally - 21 rally next year.

A few good blasts around Derby and into Matlock and a couple of bands in the evening

Even had 20 guys over from Germany, who enjoyed it so much they are coming again next year

Jon_W
12-09-14, 12:11 PM
One bike in your list that has no "nostalgia" effect is the CB250 Superdream.

Great bike. Have owned three and would have another.

Brit bikes are great. I use the Cub (1961 Triumph T20, Tiger Cub) for pottering about. Is a change of pace from modern riding and no bad thing.