PDA

View Full Version : Local bike racing clubs

Rabb
09-08-14, 10:21 AM
I intend to race in the Manx Grand Prix in 2016 (As some of you are aware)
I need to get an ACU race license but need to be a member of a local club to get my race license.
I assume that there must be one based at Castle Combe - any ideas?

Conehead
09-08-14, 06:16 PM
You could try http://www.ngroadracing.org. I marshall some events for them but I think they might be nationwide

Wes
09-08-14, 08:24 PM
Did see the north gloucs doing ACU at castle coombe last month, im sure you can do it with a couple of the trackday companies as well.

Rabb
09-08-14, 09:41 PM
Thanks both - will investigate every option
I need to compete in at least 6 races in the preceeding 12 months before the Manx (so timing is
really important to me)

Moo
15-08-14, 06:56 PM
Sorry to appear negative but have you raced before or not?

If not I think you might struggle as you will first need to get rid of your novice license (finished a race on 10 racing days at 3 different circuits) and then upgrade to an ACU national license (finished within 110% of winners time and on same lap on10 racing days at 3 different circuits). You will also have held the National License for a minimum of 6 months before you are eligible to apply for a TT mountain course license which is required for the Manx.

http://www.manxgrandprix.org/~/media/Files/MGP2014/Entry-Forms/MGP_REGS_2014_1.pdf

wheelers
16-08-14, 08:32 AM
as Moo says, but if you or others can remember back to the good old days, we used to use local airfield tracks, Little Rissington, Staverton, Kemble, Hullavington, Keevil, Colerne, Wroughton and occasionally Combe. North Glos were also registered at Thruxton and Mallory for once a year due to booking allowances and Cars taking majority of days. being affiliated with the RAF gave us the option to use airfields. we could have twelve or more races a year. this gave riders the chance of cheap racing and quick progression to get a licence.
the RAF policy on useage meant we lost a few , then NG started getting into bigger events partly due to riders having more expensive bikes not wanting to throw away on grass outside of runways and perry tracks and partly due to just having a small group willing to set up a track. going bigger meant less work for this 'commitee' and what you have to remember is they dont actually race themselves they do it for others. the downside is we no longer have local race tracks and means riders have further to travel and higher entry fees. the plus side is better surfaces and facilities.

I don't think trackdays will give you a qualification but a chance to 'ride ' the track as competition is not allowed on track days, we all know that riding in a group throws up different obstacles and therefore lines.
NG or NewEra are the clubs down here using Uk circuits otherwise if Retford are still going they use Mallory or Donnington.
you will probably have to attend a training day or two on protocol and rules of the club , this usually happens once a year( at the start of the season) before they let you out on the track.

Rabb
17-08-14, 09:58 PM
Plenty of time to jump through their hoops.
Nothing that has mentioned phases me.
Thanks for the info though.