PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem on GSXR 600 srad

Rabb
07-08-14, 08:49 PM
I have just fitted new throttle cables on the above bike.
Followed the Haynes manual to the letter.
Freeplay is as per the manual and the throttle snaps back as it should.
The problem I have is in relation to 'idle adjustment'.
I let the bike warm up to operating temp (90 degrees 'ish) then set the idle so that it's around the 1200 rpm level (as per Haynes Manual) then I rev the bike and it doesn't drop the revs back down to the idle speed???
Any ideas or help would be appreciated as it's driving me mad!!!

Conehead
07-08-14, 09:06 PM
It could be a sticking idle cable. Just turn it down to the correct revs and keep playing till it clears. A spot of WD40 would help.

Rabb
07-08-14, 09:21 PM
Thanks CH
I will give it a go Tomorrow

wheelers
08-08-14, 09:20 AM
could be fuel, dirty idle jets or choke staying on

Rabb
09-08-14, 09:20 AM
I have checked all of the above - but it's still doing it
Arghhhhh!!!!!

Conehead
09-08-14, 06:21 PM
Bizarre,,,,,, If not that then your cable must be catching somewhere. Try looking at the end of the throttle cable before twisting then let go and see if it goes all the way back to the resting place. Is it a carb bike?

Rabb
09-08-14, 09:45 PM
Will do CH
Yep it's a carbed bike
The only thing it could be now is a balance on the carbs?

Trev
09-08-14, 10:01 PM
Is it deffo the right cable for the bike? Could be that it's very slightly different and you now have too much tension when the handlebars are turned slightly. Try loosening off the adjuster at the twistgrip end until it has way too much slack and see if returns to idle then, if so gradually adjust out the slack twisting the bars through full lock each time to check for overtightening

Rabb
09-08-14, 10:34 PM
Oem - part number checked too.
Will try Tomorrow

Jed
10-08-14, 04:24 PM
"I let the bike warm up to operating temp (90 degrees 'ish) then set the idle so that it's around the 1200 rpm level (as per Haynes Manual) then I rev the bike and it doesn't drop the revs back down to the idle speed???"

Despite what the Haynes manual might say; if you set the idle speed to 1200rpm why would it be significantly different to that after you blip the throttle? I would suggest simply setting the idle speed and adjusting as necessary to achieve the right setting. This is assuming that nothing is sticking as per earlier replies.