PDA

View Full Version : Every motor biker will crash one day

shiftyblake
06-08-14, 08:26 PM
According to an article in Visordown it is inevitable, but is really just luck that in 25 years of riding and I mean lots of it I never have?
http://www.visordown.com/features/one-day-youll-crash/6225.html

What do you think?

Conehead
06-08-14, 09:16 PM
It is all guess work. Someone could have ten accidents and the other nine would never have one. I would like to think that I will never crash again as I am now more responsible and careful but there is always something around the corner that could take you out.

Swanny
06-08-14, 11:03 PM
I had mine when some prick knocked me off my moped

WR6133
06-08-14, 11:48 PM
It is all guess work. Someone could have ten accidents and the other nine would never have one. I would like to think that I will never crash again as I am now more responsible and careful but there is always something around the corner that could take you out.

Yeah I think I'm becoming that someone :eek:

Nano
07-08-14, 12:45 AM
I have a dodgy knee as a reminder of a nasty encounter with a kerbstone when I was 16, tried to go around a corner on rails but the bike didnt want to. Think myself very lucky as I missed the on coming truck by inches! Certainly I treat corners (especially kerbstones) with trepidation! Also taught me the value of cow hide! Amazingly the bike was fine, save a torn seat cover.

The other morning I saw a neighbour from the street (16 years old) do the same thing that I did all those years ago, although he did it without the breakage (well not to him anyway his special go-faster exhaust looked more like a saxophone when he picked up his bike).

Trev
07-08-14, 08:59 AM
Several early days accidents in my teens, mainly on the 'ped and a notable one that wrote off my X7, all would now be avoided as totally down to my inexperience and (mainly) to my total disregard for personal and public safety - ie riding like a dickhead.

Since then most have been off-road or the odd track spill (a few seasons bum basic proddie racing back in the LC era). On the road I've not had a spill for nearly 25 years and IAM training will hopefully help this continue.

Nothing is guaranteed though, out Tuesday evening and was presented with a van overtaking a cyclist on a blind corner, fortunately I was not bang on the white line and had plenty in reserve and was able to drop in sharper. Not so sure though if I had arrived at the corner a fraction later : (

Nelly
07-08-14, 10:43 AM
We've all been there. Laying in a ditch or roadside somewhere. Sadly with increased traffic on the road multiplied with less tolerance and awareness of other road users multiplied the shocking state of our roads these days, by it's inevitable that we will all have "incidents" of some kind while riding. We just have to do our best to minimise the chance of that happening. :(

redken1
07-08-14, 06:36 PM
We've all been there. Laying in a ditch or roadside somewhere. Sadly with increased traffic on the road multiplied with less tolerance and awareness of other road users multiplied the shocking state of our roads these days, by it's inevitable that we will all have "incidents" of some kind while riding. We just have to do our best to minimise the chance of that happening. :(

+1. All the above factors. Would add a lack of patience which = frustration = accidents.

Rabb
07-08-14, 08:35 PM
I've had mine too - luckily with no injuries
A couple of car 'pull outs' whilst filtering resulting in two heavy stoppies
And hitting a kerb stone on a bend at 60.....

I have got away with them all so far......
(My angel can fly really fast!)

8_ball
08-08-14, 12:20 AM
Ive adopted that 70% rule. and when i act like a dickhead ( most of the time) I pull over and have a fag. had a few close calls like most the art of survival is to adpt and improvise. Ive been pushed off the road and along a bank at 50 I dont know how I survived to this day. I just did not panic.
ride safe guys and girlz

Swanny
08-08-14, 08:19 AM
Riding bikes is dangerous and we all know that we maybe killed doing it, but it's a fantastic buzz so we take the chance

If I die riding my bike then know that I died having fun doing something that I love :cool:

WR6133
08-08-14, 10:40 AM
Well if the average is 1 crash each I saved 1 of you the hassle when my works 125 broke it's chain last night and tossed me in to a hedge. :rolleyes:

shiftyblake
08-08-14, 02:09 PM
Trev did you ever race against a mate of mine Adam Lewis in the LC proddie days.

Trev
08-08-14, 03:11 PM
Trev did you ever race against a mate of mine Adam Lewis in the LC proddie days.

Don't recall the name but then only new a few by name. I raced in North Gloucester Motorcycle Club in the early 80's, I think from about '82 through to '86, circuits were Castle Coombe, Keevil, Colerne and I even recall a session at Thruxton but that may have been an 'invitation'. Started on an X7 (used a couple) and then onto an LC. Steve Colville was the tuner of choice (also got him to do my DT175!). Never troubled the leaders much (certainly on the X7) but usually managed to get in half a dozen or more races each weekend by running a 250cc and entering proddie and open classes. I recall being lapped by a mate of mine, Mark stone on his RG500 race bike and that was in a 4 lap 'qualifer'!

Cracking fun, really was racing on a budget, the first couple of seasons were on the bike I rode to work, just changed top end, rejetted carbs, bunged on the racing tyres and taped up the lights. Did lead to two weeks commute on my mums C70 when I binned it once in practice.

Marmalade
09-08-14, 09:24 AM
I average 1000 miles a week and have recently had my 1st off in 26 years.
Although not inevitable, I think it's highly likely that most will have an off at some point.

SupeRDel
09-08-14, 01:56 PM
Did most of my crashing on mopeds back in the mid 70's when we did stupid things - learned a lot from them slow speed offs

During that period I had 2 close mates killed in bikes accident (all their own fault and one had is wife on the back) all their own fault.
Then I had a Yamaha RD 250 at 17 and about a month after owning it I came off it and went over the handlebars landing on top of my head. The crash punched a hole through the top of my helmet that you could get your fist in right down to the lining. I've never listened to any idiot who says they want to ride without crash on its the number-one piece of kit.

Luckily over the years I have never had another off and sometimes override like a bit of an old woman, if I think some think is even slightly risky I will air on the side of caution.

Trouble is you cannot rule out the accidents that are totally out of your control. How many times have you been round a blind bend and thought to yourself if somebody was stupidly overtaking a car coming the other way there would be nothing you could do.
In our daily lives of driving we have all seen people do stupid similar things like that and thought for ourselves that could have caused a nasty accident but it didn't just because of the circumstances of nobody being like you or me.

I know you can go out and get advanced training but how good is the advanced training. I am not one of these riders that like this idea of when you ride motorcycle you have to "make progress".
My next-door neighbour is a policeman and has done some work on traffic and he has told me that over the years they have been to a few colleague motorcycle accidents involving police officers.
My neighbour rides a BMW or he used to because coming back from Salisbury a couple of years back he was involved in one of those pure chance accidents. He was riding along on a nice clear piece of road in broad daylight at only 50 mph when a deer jumped out in front of him from the hedge. It jumped out in front of him just a few feet in front of him. With no time to react at all he hit it square on and killed instantly unfortunately the crash broke his neck and for a few weeks they did not think he would walk again.
Mind you the ward he was in in Salisbury had other neck injury people and most of them it was the result of falling off of bicycles.

I'm just thinking of another pure chance accident as I am writing this. A few years ago a mate of mine was riding to work at Honda in Swindon when a deer jumped over the hedge in front of him and he thought to himself "that was close" when a second deer jumped over the hedge and landed clear on top of him which resulted in a broken shoulder.

Have you ever noticed that all these real-life emergency and accident programmes on TV always have a good number of motorcyclists that they have to attend to.

There is a lot to be said with riding old classic bikes because if you do have an accident you will be going slower when it happens.

Swanny
09-08-14, 04:26 PM
Play with fire, you're going to get burnt :p