PDA

View Full Version : The 70% rule

QB1
24-07-14, 12:04 PM
Never come across this but makes a lot of sense -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgIB4ZkeCk&feature=em-subs_digest

(not too sure about the overtake of the lorries though)

Trev
24-07-14, 02:53 PM
I like the philosophy of not riding at 100%, don't think I've done that for more than a few miles since I was a brain out teenager - 110% almost everywhere then!

At first I thought 70% was too low but when I saw for, this guy at least, it still meant it's okay to undertake a truck on the hard shoulder then I would hate to see his 100%, wheely past on the verge maybe?

Nice vid and voice over BTW

Conehead
24-07-14, 03:31 PM
I agree with him and it makes sense but the lorry click was totally in the wrong. Wait a few minutes and a live a while longer.

WhyNot
24-07-14, 04:39 PM
We all ride for different reasons, if you ride to get you from A-B like work then fair enough, do the 70% rule. But if you ride for the thrill then the 70% rule would mean your bike would be a complete waste of money and it would be boring, so then why do it?

We all know the risks, I guess it takes one bad accident to make you think twice, but if you sensible and don't do anything stupid then the only person you have to blame is yourself and hopefully you live and learn, tough statement but true.

Wenchbane
24-07-14, 04:55 PM
I've been subbed to RJ on YouTube for a long time actually, he's famous for doing videos he calls "daily observations" where he just posts some more interesting bits of his week's riding: filtering, road rage incidents, pretty women crossing the street, a nice sports car etc. He's well known amongst motovloggers as the "filtering king", since he never sits in traffic (he lives and films mostly in London), and most of the time I'd say he rides to make as much progress as possible whilst staying relatively safe (he's obviously had a lot of city riding experience), and I agree with his philosophy here.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lorry overtake. I wouldn't do it, but then I don't have a BMW S1000RR, and I wasn't riding on that (French? Italian?) road, so I don't know if the hard shoulder was gravelly, I don't know how long the lorries were parallel, I don't know how what his decision-making process was, and I'd be reluctant to criticise it.