PDA

View Full Version : MAG protest

Mal103
10-07-14, 11:30 PM
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/mag-plans-demos-in-nine-cities/25253.html

What do you think, will this help drivers to stay alert, take away the percentage of idiot/bad Riders that contribute to these stats there is still a large number of drivers who can't or don't see us, or too busy on the phone - I even waved to one this morning on a roundabout - she couldn't indicate due to having a more important conversation on the phone.
I think we have been forced to ride VERY defensively to take into account the sloppy drivers out there which seem to get worse every year, will this demo from MAG make a difference?

I think if you drive over a cyclist these days you are almost certain to be going to prison - Rant start: blinking lycra lardies thinking they own the road and can ride side by side but anything goes wrong and it's somebody elses fault - Rant over... I'm all for cyclist, in a cycle lane on a slow and wide road, not a cycling route of twisting country lanes at national speed limit only wide enough for 2 cars. Can't stand them myself but not all their fault and deviating from the topic...

WhyNot
11-07-14, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a good idea, I also like the idea of raising awareness for young riders to get into biking, its more eco friendly then cars and maybe then they'll stop harping on about crap electric cars....

Trev
11-07-14, 08:42 AM
Don't think it will make any difference - not many bikers take any notice of MAG let alone car drivers. Still, if you want a day out riding in a mass group through a city then it's worth a punt.

QB1
11-07-14, 09:55 AM
Don't think it will make any difference - not many bikers take any notice of MAG let alone car drivers. Still, if you want a day out riding in a mass group through a city then it's worth a punt.

Yep agreed

Swanny
11-07-14, 10:04 AM
I was watching a woman texting while driving the other day, luckily her baby was fast asleep in the back :confused:

As for those twats in lycra :mad:

Col
13-07-14, 10:19 AM
What surprises me with the lycra loons is how bloody fat a lot of them are :eek: plenty of fit buggers too....all a complete pain especially two a breast ...... mmmmm talking of 'breast' some of the laydees in lycra are ummmm shall we say pleasant tolerable viewing :p:o:cool::rolleyes:

wiltshire builders
13-07-14, 11:00 PM
I don't want to get all deep on you but aren't we all sharing the same piece of Tarmac?
The reason cyclists ride 2 abreast is so vehicles have to overtake them like any other form of road user rather than squeezing past and knocking them off.
If you don't like it, get off the road because that's the law.

As for the protest. It might help but I'm sure it'll be met with the attitude of "bloody lard assed, leather clad bikers. Think they own the road...."etc

If only everyone was as tolerant and understanding as us lovely bikers eh?

Swanny
13-07-14, 11:39 PM
Trouble is most of us also drive cars so we could be making things worse for ourselves.

THE Motorcycle Action Group is planning demonstrations in nine UK cities over what it sees as unacceptably lenient sentences for drivers who kill motorcyclists.

I'm sure the government is watching this with great joy and will be happy to bring in new punishments

As for cyclists riding two abreast on small country roads, how fecking stupid can they be? :confused:

QB1
14-07-14, 10:23 AM

If only everyone was as tolerant and understanding as us lovely bikers eh?

With that in mind have to say this is one of THE best road safety adverts I think I've ever seen, saw it on TV last night -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ppR5_jJLGs#t=19

theoldbaldone
14-07-14, 03:16 PM
Why is there no bus and taxi drivers included in this advert, are they always happy

wiltshire builders
14-07-14, 04:32 PM
With that in mind have to say this is one of THE best road safety adverts I think I've ever seen, saw it on TV last night -

Perfect example of what I meant.
The problem is these narrow minded nay-Sayers lump all cyclists, van drivers or any other group all in together.
They see a couple of cyclists behaving badly and in their mind all cyclists are bad.
In much the same way racists, homophobes and sexists do.

It's not people's attitudes towards bikers MAG need to worry about, it's just people's attitudes!

Trev
14-07-14, 05:11 PM
Perfect example of what I meant.
The problem is these narrow minded nay-Sayers lump all cyclists, van drivers or any other group all in together.
They see a couple of cyclists behaving badly and in their mind all cyclists are bad.
In much the same way racists, homophobes and sexists do.

I don't you can throw that accusation at us bikers - apart from the Harley owners, and of course BMW owners, oh and all sportsbike riders, the bloody adventure bikers an their all boxes. FYI - I don't class moped or L plate riders as bikers - apart from that lot we're all pretty open minded (oops I forgot the classic owners)

BB
14-07-14, 06:22 PM
I don't you can throw that accusation at us bikers - apart from the Harley owners, and of course BMW owners, oh and all sportsbike riders, the bloody adventure bikers an their all boxes. FYI - I don't class moped or L plate riders as bikers - apart from that lot we're all pretty open minded (oops I forgot the classic owners)

^^^exactly so!^^^ apart from including the classic bike riders that is....

Silver Bird
17-07-14, 08:23 PM
Saw a big fat bloke last night wearing lycra and riding a racing style bike, on the back of his T-shirt is said "Fat guy at the back" made me smile :)

Jon_W
22-07-14, 09:23 AM
All I'll say is that no-one "owns" the road. We all need to learn to use it together. The roads are getting more crowded and we must all be aware.

As motor vehicle riders and drivers we must be aware of the weapon that we are controlling, and as cyclists we must be aware of the lethal objects around us. Occasionally all need to slow down and use the road responsibly!

Mal103
22-07-14, 02:43 PM
All I'll say is that no-one "owns" the road. We all need to learn to use it together. The roads are getting more crowded and we must all be aware.

As motor vehicle riders and drivers we must be aware of the weapon that we are controlling, and as cyclists we must be aware of the lethal objects around us. Occasionally all need to slow down and use the road responsibly!

Why should we all slow down so others can use the road at a fraction of the average speed? We slow down in towns because it's busy and has lots more people wandering about, junctions etc, why should we reduce speed on a national speed limit road because people want to go for a joy ride on a bicycle.

Jon_W
22-07-14, 03:21 PM
No, just keep it below three figure speeds and respect other road users. On the classic and the cycle I get regularly passed by motorbikes and cars doing stupid speeds. the don't pull out properly, rather just pass in the same lane without slowing down. That may be fun for the driver or rider of the speeding car or bike but not for the poor sod just scared sh*tless.

wiltshire builders
22-07-14, 03:38 PM
Why should we all slow down so others can use the road at a fraction of the average speed? We slow down in towns because it's busy and has lots more people wandering about, junctions etc, why should we reduce speed on a national speed limit road because people want to go for a joy ride on a bicycle.

This is quite possibly the stupidest post I've ever read on here.
Where do you draw the line?
Why should cars take extra care to when pulling out just because people want to go on a joy ride on a motorbike?
Why should we do anything that benifits others to the slightest detriment to ourselves?
It's calling living in a society and being a decent human being.
Bicycles were on the roads long before cars.
If you're not capable of driving/riding accordingly then you shouldn't be on the road at all.

theoldbaldone
22-07-14, 03:56 PM
This is quite possibly the stupidest post I've ever read on here.
Where do you draw the line?
Why should cars take extra care to when pulling out just because people want to go on a joy ride on a motorbike?
Why should we do anything that benifits others to the slightest detriment to ourselves?
It's calling living in a society and being a decent human being.
Bicycles were on the roads long before cars.
If you're not capable of driving/riding accordingly then you shouldn't be on the road at all.

that is right, everyone needs pay a bit more attention on the road, even if you are on a skateboard or in a lorry.

Vulcanboy
22-07-14, 06:38 PM
Yea .... and what about people walking on the roads .... two abreast on a windy little Wiltshire back road ....with a pram acting as a human shield .....

redken1
22-07-14, 10:50 PM
Too many hamsters in the same cage.