PDA

View Full Version : What type of scrubber are you?

cuffy
01-07-14, 08:17 PM
Couldn't find a thread on it, thought it may be of some use for people to give their thoughts on their "scrubbing in process. May also help with new riders who have never had the pleasure of doing the ritual.
Do you follow the letter of the rule and do 100 miles with caution?
The reason behind this is i had to scrub a new set in on Sunday (Dunlop RoadSmart 2's)
After the deluge of rain on Saturday and cooling temperatures it was a bit tip toey to start with as there was alot of damp patches and even more crap washed onto the road surface.
So, 5 miles of steady acceleration and gentle banking, a further 2 miles of hard acceleration and braking to get the tyres up to temp and then it was off to the Cirencesterl ring road to do a few circuits of decent roundabouts and gradually build up the lean angle. Then off to the ToysRus roundabout which has 4 apexes and a lovely exit which helps with getting the left done. So all in all they were pretty much done in 50 miles. It was then off for another 100 miles of hooning.

Wes
01-07-14, 09:46 PM
I use continentals, which don't use the releasing agent that makes the tyre initially slippery, but that aside i usually take it reasonably steady until the grip levels feel good.

Swanny
01-07-14, 09:48 PM
I take it steady for the first 50 miles then gradually work away at the chicken strips for the next 50 :o

Long John
01-07-14, 10:24 PM
Got a pair of SportSmart 2 fitted on Saturday and went for a 80 mile ride Sunday evening, took the sheen off them but to my surprise all the little rubber spikes are still in tact. Whilst it's dry I'll just plod along as normal.

Dabz
01-07-14, 10:26 PM
Sod's law dictates that it's always raining when I get new tyres, so always a bit cautious

matthews677
01-07-14, 10:26 PM
I've only had the delight of scrubbing in 1 set of tyres and i nearly binned the bike a mile up the road so i would be very hesitant for a while. I have only been riding for 18 months though so probably not the best person to listen to :P

Swanny
01-07-14, 10:35 PM
New tyres

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

Red Zed 1
01-07-14, 11:11 PM
i fit my own tyres and give them a good rub down with cloth/brake cleaner and then a quick rub with emery cloth..done that for the last 4 years on all mine and lukes bikes with no problems..able to ride normal from the get-go..not saying its right but it works for me..

wiltshire builders
02-07-14, 01:10 PM
Thumbs up for Road smarts. Best all round tyre I've ever used.

cuffy
03-07-14, 08:34 AM
Got a pair of SportSmart 2 fitted on Saturday and went for a 80 mile ride Sunday evening, took the sheen off them but to my surprise all the little rubber spikes are still in tact. Whilst it's dry I'll just plod along as normal.
Mine too, arduous little buggers.

Thumbs up for Road smarts. Best all round tyre I've ever used.
Have to admit they are a good hoop. My rear was badly squared off when I bought the bike and it didn't fill me with confidence when I used to get that double tip feeling going into corners.
Another good tyre I used was the Maxxis Supersport, sweet lordy Jesus were they grippy little buggers. Apparently the marshals in the IoM TT used them.

Swanny
03-07-14, 09:40 AM
Another good tyre I used was the Maxxis Supersport, sweet lordy Jesus were they grippy little buggers. Apparently the marshals in the IoM TT used them.

I plan on getting a pair of them soon

Kevinb
03-07-14, 01:34 PM
"I take it steady for the first 50 miles then gradually work away at the chicken strips for the next 50"

Swanny that sounds the perfect way which I also try and follow.

I swear by Metzlers (which with a new set and rain I usually do swear)

Senna(Dan)
03-07-14, 06:23 PM
Take it easy for the first 25 miles then start building the lean angle up.

Never too aggressive, normally struggle to find a clear road to increase the angles though.

cuffy
03-07-14, 07:41 PM
I plan on getting a pair of them soon

Good deals at the moment on evil bay, £159 for Front and rear. Plus with free digital tyre gauge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxxis-Supermaxx-Sport-MAPS-Motorcycle-Tyre-PAIR-120-70-ZR17-190-50-ZR17-/351095736730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51beefc99a

Swanny
03-07-14, 11:51 PM
Thanks Cuffy :)

I need these for my bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxxis-Supermaxx-Diamond-Motorcycle-Tyre-Pair-120-60-ZR17-160-60-ZR17-/390873151949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b01daf9cd

gibbo
07-07-14, 06:20 AM
I was over at Blades the other day and a chap had just picked up his brand new ZX. Pulled out a sheet of sandpaper from underneath his leathers and started rubbing his Battlax tyres all over. Good a job as any I suppose.

Rabb
07-07-14, 10:31 PM
Bearing in mind that we live in a normally wet climate 80% of the time a wet tyre is the only way to go - trust me I've tried the lot.
Michelin Pilot Road 3's are the best tyre that I have ever come across!
No White line shimmy - even when wet and braking on them (yes I've tried it!)
Good ability on turn in on dry days and excellent braking characteristics too.
Longevity is phenomenal - I should get 10-12k out of the rear!
Buy them - the only change I would make is to swap over to Bridgestone S20's in the summer months (stickier and better turn in on twisties