PDA

View Full Version : Cats!

wiltshire builders
29-06-14, 10:56 AM
Anyone got any proven tips on how to keep these filthy vermin out of my garden?
Sprays and gels get washed away in the rain and sonic scarers irritate the neighbours.
I also don't see why I should have to fork out a fortune and deface my garden just because someone wants 'something to cuddle'
Any help would be greatly appreciated and you'll also be saving an animal's life because I'm seriously considering an air rifle!

Throttle_junkie
29-06-14, 11:13 AM
Lol, we just bought 2 of our own cats, soft as anything, but they actually come in to use the litter tray....... We had loads of problems with cats crapping in our plant pots and killing them. We tried sonic things, and found the only thing that worked prior to getting our own cats was squirting the hose at them. Good luck I know just how annoying other people's cats are, they buy them then just kick them out and forget about them :mad:

WR6133
29-06-14, 01:41 PM
Go with the air rifle you know you want to!

Or if you can find spots where they climb over the fence/ push through hedges rig up an alarm mine. They set one off they will likely never come back

Conehead
29-06-14, 01:47 PM
I am in the same boat. A neighbours cat keeps ****ting in our garden and I have young kids. I have spoken to them but they dont give a damn. If you find something that works let me know please.

Dennis_Sinanan
29-06-14, 02:47 PM
I believe dogs work well (unless the dog likes cats or worse if the dog is afraid of cats)
Warning you may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with this solution.

Speaking from experience, we used to have problems with cats in the backyard and got a dog. No more problem with cats! No more backyard, no more grass (only skid marks) everything plastic or rubber is chewed to shreds. What used to look like a yard now resembles a bomb site but no more problem with cats.

Swanny
29-06-14, 05:31 PM
Yea dogs or pellet guns will do the trick
No cats ever come into my garden. It's a shame as Dave the dog would love them too :cool:
Many years ago my mates dad had a couple of dogs that he used for hunting, strangely the cats in the neighbourhood seemed to disappear about the same time

Mal103
29-06-14, 05:42 PM
Tricky, could try obstacles where they come into the garden or squirting it with a hose, chasing and shouting etc. We have 2 that sleep all day but are good at keeping the rat population down during the night, unfortunately they bring them in - or what's left of them.

We had trouble with a neighbouring cat once, kept on a farm but half starved so it kept coming in and stealing our cats' food, got to be a real problem as ours wouldn't go out and messed indoors, the cat had to be "relocated" one evening.... didn't hurt it, it just lives in a new area. ;)

Although not a great solution you could try setting up a toilet area with litter etc, turn over a small patch of ground and put loose bark etc, if they use this area alone then at least you will know where it is and maybe rope it off from kids.

wiltshire builders
29-06-14, 06:02 PM
I might combine Mal and WR's ideas. Set aside an area and rig it with mines.
Cheers guys. I'll let you know how it goes. ��

cuffy
29-06-14, 08:07 PM
Lion sh1t. I'm not joking, a lad i used to know got some from Longleat, it kept dogs, cats away from his garden. Don't know if they still give it away.

Nano
29-06-14, 11:38 PM
Super-soaker and shovel

super-soaker for discouraging cat, easily applied from a good raised vantage point of an upstairs window, no lethal and satisfing....

shovel is for the owners. I return the poop to the owners front gardens or by the door to the car. I find this particularly effective (provided normal channels of diplomacy do not work).

Doesnt stop the cats but it does keep me sane.

Serious suggestion is to put up an over hanging fence (45 degree inward upward facing with some netting, they don't like to climb on it and if they get in they cant get out quickly and are easier to get with the supersoaker, this worked for us. I tried 25cm and that was not long enough 50cm seems to do the trick! For the hard to hearch places pigeon spikes keep cats off fence tops to.

Toph
30-06-14, 07:01 AM
A guy I know used a bucket of water and a rolled up newspaper...
He called the cat over...encouraging it with a treat, grabbed the cat by the scruff of the neck.. shoved it's head in the bucket of water, then bashed it over the head with the rolled up newspaper... then repeated the process several times...
He says he's had no problems since...the cat's petrified to come anywhere near his garden now.

I of course do not agree with this cruel and barbaric procedure... just thought I'd share this with y'all.

I know first hand the problems with pets fouling my lawns, and agree it's annoying.. but the Lion poo idea sounds the best to me.. if it's still available from Longleat.

Grey haired bloke
30-06-14, 12:11 PM
A bowl or two of anti-freeze left in the garden over night will deffo sort the problem, so I've been told.

GingerWizard86
30-06-14, 12:15 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002B7OT2?pc_redir=1404050750&robot_redir=1 lion poop pellets.... probably the most karma debt free cat repellant

Burbler
30-06-14, 03:27 PM
A guy I know used a bucket of water and a rolled up newspaper...
He called the cat over...encouraging it with a treat, grabbed the cat by the scruff of the neck.. shoved it's head in the bucket of water, then bashed it over the head with the rolled up newspaper... then repeated the process several times...
He says he's had no problems since...the cat's petrified to come anywhere near his garden now.

I tried that with a girl friend once - she didn't come back either.

Silver Bird
30-06-14, 08:04 PM
If you are in to a bit of construction and electronics you could try building this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Swanny
30-06-14, 10:22 PM
Nice work Muuuaaahahahaaa :cool:

wiltshire builders
21-07-14, 11:19 PM
Think I've cracked it.
I did resort to using my 'wrist rocket' catapult filled with gravel but all it did was damage my fence and alert the neighbour I was trying to kill his cat.
I've smeared grease on the fence where the little bast.... Darlings were getting in.
Either they don't like the look of it or they tried but got in such a mess they gave up.
Either way, no more cats sh*tting in my garden.

Nelly
22-07-14, 06:59 AM
I Used my paintball gun for a while. Didn't aim at the cat, just close enough to scare the ****e out of it.
After a while my fence panels looked very pretty as well :)

Goldie
22-07-14, 11:04 AM
cruel bastards, you lot :)

BifferGaz
22-07-14, 12:18 PM
If your neighbours don't feel inclined to control their cats I feel you should be entitled to go and sh*t in their gargen. Fairs fair after all.

wheelers
22-07-14, 12:28 PM
we had problems so bought our own cat to keep them away or mess in other peoples gardens!!! didnt work, it does its in ours as well.
mind you, the rottweiller scares them away... probably the best answer for the cats but the mess is bigger!!! Karma. every plus has a minus

Swanny
22-07-14, 02:10 PM
Chuck the stuff back over the fence :cool:

wiltshire builders
22-07-14, 03:27 PM
If your neighbours don't feel inclined to control their cats I feel you should be entitled to go and sh*t in their gargen. Fairs fair after all.

I tried that but got stage fright.

Last Train
02-01-15, 08:31 PM
How about having someone like this as a neighbour ?

Love her...

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/little-old-lady-arrested-for-making-fur-coats-with-neighbors-cats/

:D

Swanny
03-01-15, 10:54 AM
Haha excellent :D