PDA

View Full Version : Fast riders

Wes
23-06-14, 08:54 PM
Just had a 2 day event at Rockingham, and been up to castle coombe to watch NG Roadracing, and was really impressed by the speed and skill of the riders, which got me thinking, what goes into the mix to make one rider much quicker than many others?
Passing people and getting passed is the norm on track, but the speed in which some riders clear off is amazing, especially if you think you are hanging em out, and end up getting left for dust.
Cheers wes

wiltshire builders
23-06-14, 11:16 PM
Brain function.
Natural ability will only take you so far.
Top riders are able to process information a lot faster than the average human being.
Much like a fighter pilot you must have this ability to be at the top of the racing game.
This is why we see very little difference when racers cross over into other motor sports.

Another factor is how people assess risk. A good example is Michael Dunlop. This year he eclipsed everyone on the litre bikes purely because he was willing to eat into the margin of error. This gives him an edge in road racing because the danger element is a much bigger factor than in other forms of bike racing.
If you put him on a track, where natural ability and brain speed come to the fore, he would lose his edge.

SupeRDel
23-06-14, 11:28 PM
Well I went on Saturday to watch the racing and did video this...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203491454183570

SupeRDel
23-06-14, 11:33 PM
Anyway there was some seriously fast racers going around but also in the same race there was half a dozen riders that were no where near on the pace or cornering at a real racing speed. In fact a slow rider nearly caused a serious pile up on the chicane when the leaders came to pass him.

Some riders should not be out there.

Gerry
24-06-14, 11:49 AM
Suspect a lot of it is just down to perception of risk and bravery Wes.

I know I can go round corners on track a lot quicker than I usually do, I know this as when I cock it up and get my entry speed wrong and think I'm going to crash & die I can get round OK, what's infuriating is that the next lap round I go back to my "default" speed which is slower.
I think experience has a lot to do with how quick you are but big bollox helps. On my first trackday with four WB members at Brands I felt I was right on the ragged edge but Liam (Basil) made me look just slow.
What always surprises me is the big difference between Novice, Inters, Fast, Clubmans racing and then BSB, you look at the Fast group on a trackday and think Holyhell, that's quick and then a racer joins them !!!

SuperDel, not sure if you are a trackdayer or racer, but if not, I suspect your "slow rider" at Combe might have been lots faster than most guys on the road ! They have all got to start somewhere and good on them for being brave enough to try - they all have more bottle than me :-)

Swanny
24-06-14, 08:58 PM
Some of the "slow riders" at Combe were very slow.

Burbler
25-06-14, 09:41 AM
Position is very important. As with cycling, playing the piano etc. the relationship between feet, ass, and hands is crucial. Mine has had it's rear dropped 35mm and has 35mm bar risers.
I've tried every which way, but due to having very short legs for my height and a very long body, just can not get comfy.
The bike knows where it wants to go, my brain and ass know where they want to go but the handlebars stop it from happening.

Frustrated of Nempnett Thrubwell.

Moo
30-06-14, 06:08 PM
I appear in your video so am quite interested in this post being one of the slower riders out there. I also was in the " I could ride faster than that brigade" before i started racing and it isn't as easy as it may appear. Yes the guys at the back appear slow but they are riding to the limit of their ability and ultimately it is the responsibility of the faster riders to keep out of the way. That is one of the reasons why we wear orange vests as novices. At the end of the day its a club race and not a national championship so its open to all abilities.

Having said that there was a seriously slow guy there who even I lapped and it was quite a shock how slow he was going.

Gerry
30-06-14, 08:04 PM
I appear in your video so am quite interested in this post being one of the slower riders out there. I also was in the " I could ride faster than that brigade" before i started racing and it isn't as easy as it may appear. Yes the guys at the back appear slow but they are riding to the limit of their ability and ultimately it is the responsibility of the faster riders to keep out of the way. That is one of the reasons why we wear orange vests as novices. At the end of the day its a club race and not a national championship so its open to all abilities.
Having said that there was a seriously slow guy there who even I lapped and it was quite a shock how slow he was going.

Wondered if that was you Moo !
When's your next one (raceday) ?

Moo
01-07-14, 12:40 PM
It wasn't me who was the slowest, think I came about 35th out of 42 starters, bloody hard work too and PB lap times on both days :)

Gerry
01-07-14, 04:46 PM
It wasn't me who was the slowest, think I came about 35th out of 42 starters, bloody hard work too and PB lap times on both days :)

No Moo, I know you weren't the slowest, I meant that I thought I recognised you / the bike on the video ;-)
35/42 is getting better, pleased for you !
Looking forward to you showing me the lines around Cadwell this weekend if I can keep up (and you know I'll try) :-)

G

Moo
01-07-14, 07:01 PM
No Moo, I know you weren't the slowest, I meant that I thought I recognised you / the bike on the video ;-)
35/42 is getting better, pleased for you !
Looking forward to you showing me the lines around Cadwell this weekend if I can keep up (and you know I'll try) :-)

G

No last lap heroics though Mr Simpson although I would like to put it on record that you, Lucinda and Chappers all have larger capacity bikes than me and Shammy. Excuse No1 officially logged :)