PDA

View Full Version : Recommended mechanic for a headgasket...

Dan
19-06-14, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

Purchased a ZX9r from a member here last week, the next day the headgasket went on it!

I'm taking the engine out this weekend, then need to send it somewhere to get the headgasket done / skimmed if necessary.

Steve Lynham has a 2-3 week wait, ideally I'd like it done when I'm away in Paris next week!

Any ideas?

Kevinb
19-06-14, 01:59 PM
Have you tried Lightning services in Hilperton Nr Trowbridge?

Dan
19-06-14, 03:08 PM
Nope - should probably add that I'm from Swindon and needs to be local as I don't want to have to transport the engine too far!

jfranci1
20-06-14, 04:15 PM
Hi, I had a GS650 head done by South Cerney Engineering 01285 860295 a while back, and a bit expensive but they do do a good job.

BornAgainPan
21-06-14, 09:20 PM
Not sure why you need to skim the head if the gasket is gone. Surely a new gasket should be all it needs?
Anyway one of my Pan Euro heads is currently in KH Engineering at the back of where the Bulldog pub used to be. Don't be put off by the location 'cos they appear to be a very able bunch. I am having a broken exhaust stud spark eroded and was offered a skim when I dropped it off. They had a very new engine there waiting to be cut in half which is definitely not a job for the faint of heart....!

Jed
26-06-14, 08:42 PM
Who diagnosed that the head gasket has gone? And can they not fix it for you? The reason I ask is that, depending on symptoms, the problem may lay elsewhere. For example if the thermostat has packed up it could give similar symptoms like over heating and pressurising. Always best to be certain and eliminate the cheaper fixes first. Good luck.