PDA

View Full Version : Helmet removal notice at Petrol stations

Rabb
16-06-14, 09:58 PM
I never remove my helmet at Petrol Stations out of principal.
The principal being that it takes ages to get my helmet & gloves off and then back on again.
If I have a request to do so - I don't buy any more petrol from that particular station ever.
In the winter or in bad weather I insist on not removing my kit.
Do you refuse to remove yours?

matthews677
16-06-14, 11:00 PM
I always remove mine. I get fed up of being asked to get off the bike when I'm sitting on it to refuel so found it easier to take the helmet off. That said though, I can take mine off with the gloves on

Toph
16-06-14, 11:06 PM
haven't ever been asked... I always keep my helmet on though..

wiltshire builders
16-06-14, 11:19 PM
If there's a sign I'll take it off as it's clearly their policy. It's their shop and they have the right to serve who they like just as we have the right to shop where we like.
If someone TELLS me to take it off they can't get stuffed.
I've flatly refused before and just out stared the person on the till.
I'm the same with that rubbish about not using a mobile phone on a forecourt.
"It might cause a spark?!"
How the hell do they think the internal combustion engine works?

Swanny
16-06-14, 11:26 PM
I never remove mine unless I want too and have gone elsewhere for fuel when told to do so. **** 'em

XJ
17-06-14, 06:37 AM
I never remove mine, if they want the money for the fuel I have just put in then they can allow me to wear my helmet.

Burbler
17-06-14, 06:59 AM
I never remove mine unless I want too and have gone elsewhere for fuel when told to do so. **** 'em

Me too.

fd2526
17-06-14, 08:57 AM
I have a flip front, always open it & move my scarf off my face a little. Only once been told to take helmet off & that was while I was queuing 2 vehicles back from the pump! Went somewhere else & never been back there! :cool:

Trev
17-06-14, 09:29 AM
If signs up or asked then I do. Like WB says, their garage, their rules, if you popped round my house to borrow a cup of sugar I would expect you take your helmet off before I let you at the sugar tin ; )

Besides, having a friend who went through the experience of being behind the till at a garage when it got raided (by helmet wearing scumbags as it happens) I can sympathise

Swanny
17-06-14, 10:18 AM
If I came around you house just to borrow some sugar I would of course take my helmet off. But helmet wearing scumbags intent on holding up a garage aren't going to remove their helmets when asked to, whereas someone sat on his bike waiting for the pump to be switched on probably isn't planning on holding up the garage. :p

Garages have rules and so do I. If they want to sell me petrol then they do it under my terms and one of those is that I keep my hat on if I want to

Von Grumble says it best :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyg26qXqvXg

Anyway sugar's really bad for you but that's another thread :D

QB1
17-06-14, 11:42 AM
I've actually never once in 30+ years been asked to remove my helmet at a garage and do leave it on 99% of the time.

I always take my sunglasses off though so that people can see my eyes.

I must look the most unlikely potential thief ever??

It wouldn't really bother me if someone asked nicely but if they were rude I would become hard of hearing.

Personally if I was working in a fuel station I'd be more scared of a Burka wearer than someone wearing a bike helmet.

wheelers
17-06-14, 12:24 PM
haven't ever been asked... I always keep my helmet on though..

ditto.

when the young chav pulls in in his golf gti or 205 with his hoody up do they ask him to drop it before filling?

Kevinb
17-06-14, 01:25 PM
I always take mine off (helmet & gloves) I like to get a bit of air around my head/hands

WR6133
17-06-14, 01:36 PM
I wear an open face and get asked to remove it sometimes. Annoys me up but I normally comply. More annoying is (mostly Tesco) petrol stations that let me fill up with the lid on but then ask me to remove it when I go in and pay.

Burbler
17-06-14, 04:08 PM
I wear an open face and get asked to remove it sometimes. Annoys me up but I normally comply. More annoying is (mostly Tesco) petrol stations that let me fill up with the lid on but then ask me to remove it when I go in and pay.

Oh, that's the fun one. If they refuse to take your payment, then they are offering you the fuel for nothing. Insist on paying several times (with helmet on). Warn tham that you will leave if they refuse payment again and if they do - leave. Free fuel !

Conehead
17-06-14, 08:09 PM
I actually complained to the head office of Shell and their response was it is only so that the cashier can confirm the bike rider is over 18. They said you can show your licence to confirm then they will turn the pumps on for you. I tried this and the cashier tried to have a right go at me till I gave them the middle finger. When I turned round there was a copper standing there and he just laughed it off. I think they are all on power trips.

wheelers
17-06-14, 08:51 PM
I actually complained to the head office of Shell and their response was it is only so that the cashier can confirm the bike rider is over 18. They said you can show your licence to confirm then they will turn the pumps on for you. I tried this and the cashier tried to have a right go at me till I gave them the middle finger. When I turned round there was a copper standing there and he just laughed it off. I think they are all on power trips.

what about 17 year olds on scooters and 17s on 125's , don't need to to be 18 or whats the point in letting them ride? stupid rule that Shell!

8_ball
17-06-14, 11:28 PM
i was asked at the sainsbury petrol station after i had filled up she was polite 'next time can you please not wear your helmet ' she said ???
i lent over the counter and open faced helmet on just politly said 'no,,,,,,,,,10 seconds later I said there will not be a next time and just walked out...

I will go back and I will take my helmet off and I will pay for my fuel with 1p (full tank and super unleaded)

I have the same problem with a shop I go in and they always ask and I just leave the money on the counter and walk out.... if I had a turban on I bet they would not ask me to remove it

Kevinb
18-06-14, 08:39 AM
So if you had one of these on under your helmet would you also be asked to remove it?

WhyNot
18-06-14, 09:04 AM
So if you had one of these on under your helmet would you also be asked to remove it?

Dont be silly, that would be a blatant violation of someones human rights................

..........oh wait......

Last Train
18-06-14, 09:23 AM
The Texaco station at Beckington are pro helmet removal

Jon_W
18-06-14, 09:26 AM
I remove mine if asked. Don't really mind either way.

Swanny
18-06-14, 10:14 AM
They don't ask, they tell you too.
My Dad's moto "Ask me always, tell me never."

Burbler
18-06-14, 10:45 AM
Dad's are good aren't they?
When I started biking he told me.
'There is a dead cow in the middle of the road around every corner. Don't go too fast until you can see that somebody has removed it.'

Gerry
18-06-14, 10:49 AM
Think I can only ever remember a fellow rider getting asked to take their helmet off once and the assistant simply asked her to over the loud speaker (I had mine off like a good lad) :-)

I always take mine off anyway, it takes a few seconds (inc gloves) keeps everybody happy and is easier to fill up anyway without it on.
Life's to short (well, mine is anyway) to get overheated about such a trivial thing ;-)

Saying that, in my younger bolshy days I might have made a fuss, but the older I get, the more chilled I get !

Jon_W
18-06-14, 12:17 PM
They don't ask, they tell you too.
My Dad's moto "Ask me always, tell me never."

I find they ask...

Swanny
18-06-14, 12:36 PM
No it might sound like they are but they tell you too, asking leaves you with an option

Snowy
18-06-14, 06:02 PM
If I'm asked to before filling up or there's signage I will take my helmet off...what's the point in getting hot under the collar and stomping off to another fuel station, I mean really, who is getting the worst deal out of that? You're on private property and whether you like it or not, you have no legal right to be served in the same way as Sainsbury's don't have to sell to you whilst trying to do your weekly shop. Its then my choice if I go back there again.

I have only ever once been asked after filling up and simply asked the cashier if they're refusing to take payment and my card was received somewhat ungraciously with my helmet still on my noggin.

Wes
18-06-14, 08:06 PM
I dont remove my lid, where do they suppose you put it, on the diesel spilled floor or pump, yea right, i tend to use sainsbos as they have never asked, or asda and morrisons which have pay at the pump, much easier.

redken1
18-06-14, 08:27 PM
Question; if the rider of a stolen bike refuelled and sped of without paying, how do the police identify the suspect from the CCTV footage if his/her helmet were not removed?

Unless I am in a real hurry, I remove my helmet because I think it is rude to converse with another person with my face covered and as already stated, it's a welcome break.

redken1
18-06-14, 08:29 PM
Question; if the rider of a stolen bike refuelled and sped of without paying, how do the police identify the suspect from the CCTV footage if his/her helmet was not removed?

Unless I am in a real hurry, I remove my helmet because I think it is rude to converse with another person with my face covered and as already stated, it's a welcome break.

Trev
18-06-14, 08:34 PM
I always take mine off anyway, it takes a few seconds (inc gloves) keeps everybody happy and is easier to fill up anyway without it on.
Life's to short (well, mine is anyway) to get overheated about such a trivial thing ;-)

Second that, it's not as if I've come in to refuel mid-way through a TT lap ; )

wiltshire builders
19-06-14, 07:36 AM
I think the problem is as a section of society we already feel persecuted as it is.
We've all had "the look" when we tell someone that we ride.

Being presumed to be a criminal or up to no good is just another example Of being prejudged.
Would they ask someone to remove a hood, baseball cap or sunglasses before serving them?
Yes people do use helmets to commit crimes but does that mean we all have to be thought of as guilty until proven innocent?

Reading the other comments it seems many of you are big enough to turn the other cheek.
Not me. I'm a petty, petty man! ��

Swanny
19-06-14, 08:14 AM

You see it as a welcome break, others see it as a pain in the arse. Call me rude if you want but I don't want to talk to the petrol station employee, I just want to fill my bike with fuel, had over some cash and be on my way.

WB makes a good point, we are being treated as would be criminals

redken1
19-06-14, 08:48 AM
Don't bite my finger, but look where it is pointing. I agree with you Dan. I am merely trying to explain why some garages have adopted this policy.

QB1
19-06-14, 10:06 AM
The main reason I don't generally take my helmet off is actually because I'm very well aware it takes quite a while to faff about putting it back on!

I actually feel quite bad when car drivers are waiting behind me.

OK sometimes I could just roll the bike forward but it's not always safe/possible/easy to do with a helmet on your arm, earplugs stuffed somewhere, gloves off etc.

I also dont really want my helmet getting scratched and covered in diesel as its very rare to have somewhere you can put it safely so the floor is often the only choice.

QB1
19-06-14, 10:10 AM
I think the problem is as a section of society we already feel persecuted as it is.

I dont never have.

Grey haired bloke
19-06-14, 06:12 PM
Perhaps it's not just as bikers that we may be asked to remove some kit before being served, just around the corner from me the local 'On the Run' garage will not activate the pumps if your wearing large sunglasses, baseball caps or any other headwear that may hide your facial features, I don't find it a big deal more just a sad sign of the times.

Burbler
19-06-14, 07:19 PM
just around the corner from me the local 'On the Run' garage will not activate the pumps if your wearing large sunglasses, baseball caps or any other headwear that may hide your facial features

Now then, howzabout getting 15 or 20 bikes round there and asking if they want 300 quids-worth of business or not !

Could really milk it as no other cars could get in. Oh please someone organise it...

Long John
19-06-14, 11:10 PM
I hate being asked to remove my helmet, it's happened twice and on one occasion the cashier sent out the 16 year old part time cannon fodder to deliver the message. Sadly he bounded up to me and asked me to take my hat off. To which the answer was a rather short rant explaining a would not be treated like a criminal just because I was on a bike and I'd take my business elsewhere. Which I did, but only after bricking it that I'd run out before the next station. Luckily I made it, so didn't manage to lose the nose to spite my face.

The other occasion was even more annoying, they let me start to fill up before turning the pump off after delivering about £2's worth. This really pissed me off and the cashier got a right blasting, needless to say I won't use either again whether I'm on the bike or in the car.

Goldie
20-06-14, 11:28 AM
I've got a flip front lid and have never been asked to remove it prior to filling up. If I were asked, they'd get a swift 'far cough' like the last person who insisted I dismount my bike to fuel up. It is almost impossible to fill my bike up whilst on it's side stand ...and I made sure they all knew that at the till. I was angry, and they knew that too.

wiltshire builders
20-06-14, 01:19 PM
I hate being asked to remove my helmet, it's happened twice and on one occasion the cashier sent out the 16 year old part time cannon fodder to deliver the message. Sadly he bounded up to me and asked me to take my hat off. To which the answer was a rather short rant explaining a would not be treated like a criminal just because I was on a bike and I'd take my business elsewhere. Which I did, but only after bricking it that I'd run out before the next station.

Those "Ha! I'll bloody show them (sh*t, what've I done.........phew made it)" moments are the best.

Swanny
20-06-14, 06:16 PM
It's good to see that most of us won't stand for being dictated too

Some people are nails, some people are hammers :cool:

Snowy
20-06-14, 07:18 PM
It's good to see that most of us won't stand for being dictated too

I think you'll find you will though as you'll be standing at the pump for ages coz they won't switch them on. Its that or run out of fuel getting to the next petrol station that may or may not serve you. Aren't there more important things to worry about in this world?

Grey haired bloke
20-06-14, 08:45 PM
"Some people are nails, some people are hammers :cool:"

And others couldn't really give a sh1t one way or the other, I just happen to think it's good manners to remove a crash helmet to speak to someone if they are providing a service, even if it is to hand over some money and I have no real wish to speak, good manners cost nothing, let's be honest without fuel you aint going anywhere.

Snowy
20-06-14, 09:23 PM
Don't forget its the poor cashier who's trying to earn a living, getting paid a pittance working unsocial hours that you're "avin' a go at" - all in the name of a principle. And what exactly is this principle? Some outdated and paranoid notion that "we" bikers are being persecuted for no good reason? And who is this "we" anyway?

Do you really think the bosses of Shell, Esso, Tesco or whoever really give a damn? You're going to fill up anyway so they get your money wherever you spend it.

redken1
20-06-14, 09:29 PM
"Some people are nails, some people are hammers :cool:"

And others couldn't really give a sh1t one way or the other, I just happen to think it's good manners to remove a crash helmet to speak to someone if they are providing a service, even if it is to hand over some money and I have no real wish to speak, good manners cost nothing, let's be honest without fuel you aint going anywhere.

I agree. I don't like conversing with people who have their faces covered. Out of politeness I remove my helmet for this reason and no other. I was talking to a forecourt sales assistant about this the other day and she said she felt slightly intimidated and uncomfortable when customers came in to pay with their faces cover with a helmet or whatever, especially at night. As I said earlier there has been instances of riders filling up stolen bikes and riding off without paying. The police were unable to identify the culprits by the CCTV footage as their helmets were obviously not removed when refuelling. Unfortunately, we live in a society where the law abiding majority are penalised for the behaviour of the law breaking minority. Kids not allowed in sweet shops in more than pairs being another example. Sadly, I
expect we will have only two choices in the not too distant future Swanny - fill up with helmet removed or no fuel.

Burbler
20-06-14, 09:41 PM
Sadly, I expect we will have only two choices in the not too distant future Swanny - fill up with helmet removed or no fuel.

Then what ? Date of birth, dna sample, retina scan ?
..and queries re loyalty cards, cashback etc. meet with my silence.

redken1
20-06-14, 10:02 PM
Then what ? Date of birth, dna sample, retina scan ?
..and queries re loyalty cards, cashback etc. meet with my silence.

Not disagreeing with you Burbler, just saying how it is. I have spent most of my life fighting to keep our basic rights. I just happen to think that if someone wishes to converse with me or carry out a financial transaction then I would like to see their face.

Burbler
21-06-14, 08:53 AM
I take off my helmet without thought as a matter of course when entering someone's house, most shops, the docs, cafes etc. Automatic. Never really thought about it.
However, these people have no interest whatsoever in conversation, eye-contact, couth or etiquette. They are only interested in one thing...getting your face on their camera...**** 'em.

Swanny
21-06-14, 10:04 AM
Fill'er up please gov

http://blog.timesunion.com/opinion/files/2011/04/0421_WVburqa.jpg

Dabz
21-06-14, 12:53 PM
I usually only buy from pay at pump garages - they get my payment details up front so have no risk of not getting paid

It's a faff to take everything off, especially for someone who usually wears glasses to ride too. With pay at pump the splash and dash is a couple mins tops and I'm away :)

Long John
21-06-14, 09:38 PM
Maybe there's an intention to actually discourage bikers from certain garages. Less face it, we buy less fuel than most cars, and don't attempt to buy a weeks shopping every time we fill up.

theoldbaldone
21-06-14, 10:58 PM
Used Tesco Trowbridge today, paid at pump and filled up with lid on, i have found it depends on the staff (jobs worth's) like when i sit on the bike to fill up then they get funny with me

wiltshire builders
22-06-14, 12:07 AM
Used Tesco Trowbridge today, paid at pump and filled up with lid on, i have found it depends on the staff (jobs worth's) like when i sit on the bike to fill up then they get funny with me

Hit the nail on the head!
It's always a jobs worth. If they were to say "Sorry, do you mind taking your helmet off" it'd be ok.
But they never do. It's always some self righteous sod who makes a scene.
It's not illegal and the onus is on them to inform us that it's their policy before we use their services. If the company were really that bothered they would put signs on the pumps.
These people relish the opportunity to talk down to someone else as it gives their crappy lives a little meaning.

Senna(Dan)
22-06-14, 09:54 AM
I generally take my helmet off when fuelling, although it does depend on which garage.

It stays on at Pay at Pump, Sainsburys in Oxford have stopped me fuelling at Pay at Pump with the helmet on. I ranted at the attendant because I had no intention of entering the shop!

Pump came back on, filled up and off on my journey.

I used to work in a petrol station and never asked people to take helmets off as there is no need. It depends on the company as they have policies they adhere to and Sainsbury's was always that the rider should not be on the bike. Never enforced by me.

Mal103
22-06-14, 11:33 AM
I agree. I don't like conversing with people who have their faces covered. Out of politeness I remove my helmet for this reason and no other. I was talking to a forecourt sales assistant about this the other day and she said she felt slightly intimidated and uncomfortable when customers came in to pay with their faces cover with a helmet or whatever, especially at night. As I said earlier there has been instances of riders filling up stolen bikes and riding off without paying. The police were unable to identify the culprits by the CCTV footage as their helmets were obviously not removed when refuelling. Unfortunately, we live in a society where the law abiding majority are penalised for the behaviour of the law breaking minority. Kids not allowed in sweet shops in more than pairs being another example. Sadly, I
expect we will have only two choices in the not too distant future Swanny - fill up with helmet removed or no fuel.

Agree totally, if someone approached me with hoody/helmet/face cover then I will be wary, even more so if i'm sat behind several hundred quid and infront of loads of cigs that some people would love to have for nothing. I think it's a fair call to ask anyone to remove any facial covering, so long as they are fairly polite.
I also think riders shouldn't fill up whilst being sat on the bike, can't imagine being knocked over and lying under the bike whilst petrol is pouring out all around you, or even the nozzle/hose being damaged due to being stuck in the tank. What if there was a fire, at least if you are stood next to it you have a chance of legging it with only your eyebrows missing.

Saying that I often use Asda in Frome as it's un-manned pay at pump, I assume someone is keeping an eye on it somewhere but don't think someone has to push a button to start fuelling.

Swanny
22-06-14, 07:36 PM
Today I was asked to get off my bike before I could fill it. I asked the reason and was told it's because static from my jacket may cause the petrol to ignite.

http://www.mydisplayimage.com/blog/premium/anim_cryingwithlaughter.gif
I did conform but only because the young lad was ok about it and apologised. I did tell him it was a load of bollocks and he agreed :rolleyes:

Mal103
22-06-14, 08:30 PM
I don't believe it.... Before long they will be asking us to de leather! :)
at least come up with a better line of bullsh..

Rabb
23-06-14, 12:06 AM
I don't believe it.... Before long they will be asking us to de leather! :)
at least come up with a better line of bullsh..

If they asked me to de-leather I would require a payment for it ;-)
£300 would just about do it......

WhyNot
26-06-14, 10:29 AM
Another rant about petrol stations.

Pulled up in the Mille last night at Tidworth, noticed fuel literally all over the pump I was parked at, thought about moving the bike to another pump but by then I was fully in it anyway. Filled up, said to the cashier 'you do realise pump number 6 is covered in fuel' - 'uh yeah' was his response.

I mean come on, its not like their job is difficult..............

WR6133
26-06-14, 10:41 AM
Tidworths always bad for fuel spills I filled up last night and nearly dropped it on a slippery patch they often only have one guy working so he can't close up to clean up. I almost got billed for 2 lots of fuel too as the guy on a ped who didn't remove his full face when filling rode off. The cashier assumed I was paying for both!

WhyNot
26-06-14, 10:44 AM
That was probably the same patch I was in, it literally wasnt even a spill, it looked like someone had gone mental with the pump and sprayed it everywhere.

Not really what you want on a new bike, if you were out last night what was your excuse to miss the Harp :D

WR6133
26-06-14, 11:10 AM
That was probably the same patch I was in, it literally wasnt even a spill, it looked like someone had gone mental with the pump and sprayed it everywhere.

Not really what you want on a new bike, if you were out last night what was your excuse to miss the Harp :D

Being out consisted of riding the 100 or so meters to the petrol station and back.... I needed the 5 minute break from the worlds most boring OU essay on digital technology, copyright law and effective DRM..... see even the title is boring :(

Burbler
26-06-14, 11:35 AM

wiltshire builders
26-06-14, 04:58 PM
I almost got billed for 2 lots of fuel too as the guy on a ped who didn't remove his full face when filling rode off. The cashier assumed I was paying for both!

That's terrible. They should really make everyone remove their helmets before they serve them......... ��

Smudger1980
14-07-14, 12:04 PM
I sometimes remove mine but not always but I try and use the self service pumps makes it so much easier

Sharik
15-07-14, 11:24 AM
I've got a flip front lid and have never been asked to remove it prior to filling up.

This does not work at Shell/Waitrose, Salisbury. When written to the Management's response claimed it was needed not only for ID but also it restricts hearing and vision therefore is a health and safety issue (his whole argument beggars belief).

To those that state "I always take my helmet off" all well and good if you off for a recreational ride where time is not an issue. I fail to appreciate why a flip front helmet is required to be removed, not least, as has already been mentioned, the problem of finding an acceptable surface to put it on, but also on the daily commute anything that costs more in time is unwelcome.

Back to Shell/Waitrose, Salisbury, I do not understand why, after the recent refurbishment, the pay at the pump facility had been removed. The cynic in me believes this is to ensure customers have to visit the shop in the hope of making additional purchases

Marmalade
16-07-14, 05:53 PM
If they ask me to remove my flip, I take it in, place on counter and say 'take care if it'

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

theoldbaldone
16-07-14, 07:03 PM
I was asked to remove helmet before filling at Texaco station on way to Frome, went in and asked them to look after my lid, when i went back in and asked why i had to remove the helmet, they said with attitude, "we have to many people ride off and we had to have your face on camera as the cameras cant see the number plates" i was asked by a young kid why can't i put it on the floor by my bike, was i scared of getting it dirty and what would i do if i fell off the bike, he then said in a girly voice "oh no i can't let my head hit the floor i mite get my helmet dirty" i had to walk out be for i blow my top, not going back.

himaro
18-07-14, 01:25 PM
As someone who used to work at a petrol station, it literally boils down to a few different things

who is in - if the an area manager is in, they can get funny
mood - cashiers in a foul mood? it happens and they just do annoying crap
recent events - We had it once where about 4 kids turned up on scooters \ 125 scramblers, all filled up and rode off without paying. we got the number plates so it didn't matter but for a while we had to go OTT on crap like that.
New guys - they tend to worry to much

At tesco, we were meant to ask all the time and it was technically a rule, but largely ignored

Me personally, it never bothered me, but then i was a biker so I'm bias.
I've been asked to remove my helmet once before, so i just flipped the front up and they were okay with that.

jack930
26-07-14, 08:40 PM
Had it a t Beckington services. was also asked to get of bike.. wasnt happy,, also got it on film lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKFITeUVfw&feature=youtu.be

Swanny
27-07-14, 09:28 AM
****ing ridiculous

Have you got a new bike?? :D

KP
27-07-14, 05:35 PM
Lmao@ Jack I was with you that day, didn't know you were filming tho, still chuckle now at that

jack930
27-07-14, 06:15 PM
****ing ridiculous

Have you got a new bike?? :D

yes mate changed to the Blackbird

Conehead
27-07-14, 08:19 PM
If in Salisbury there are only two that I know of that will serve you while on the bike. Tesco is the first if you pay at the pump and Shell on Wilton road. I just asked the guy at Shell what his rules were regarding bikes and petrol and he said he didnt mind as long as he got paid afterwards. Funny though that the Shell garage at Waitrose want your helmet and yo off the bike.

8_ball
28-07-14, 01:08 AM
I think that the guy that owns beckington services comes into the shop I work at I think im going to have a custom moan and make him aware that bikes are not going there because of there staff. if you wanted to fill up and go without paying you could do that in a car ????
next there will be asking passengers to get out of the vehicle....

QB1
28-07-14, 07:31 PM
Had it a t Beckington services. was also asked to get of bike.. wasnt happy,, also got it on film lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKFITeUVfw&feature=youtu.be

Blimey you had a bad day. Is it really worth getting so angry???

The lady in the garage may just have genuinely thought you were going to steal petrol.

8_ball
28-07-14, 09:08 PM
Blimey you had a bad day. Is it really worth getting so angry???

The lady in the garage may just have genuinely thought you were going to steal petrol.
she thinks everyone on a bike is going to steal petrol....lol

theoldbaldone
28-09-14, 04:57 PM
Found this picture on a Bandit forum today, from up Yorkshire way.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/29/ejybusy8

Swanny
28-09-14, 05:47 PM
That would make me ride away in a second

Burbler
09-03-15, 04:32 PM
2 of us tried Becks yesterday en route to Trowbridge. Saw helmet signs and left. Was also VERY expensive. **** 'em.

Triple675
11-03-15, 12:29 PM
I'm going to surprise them one day by wearing a burkah under my helmet :D

Swanny
11-03-15, 01:45 PM
Notice how they've started putting the price up again.
Prices should still be dropping for a long time yet
Robbing bastards :mad:

WR6133
11-03-15, 03:37 PM
Notice how they've started putting the price up again.
Prices should still be dropping for a long time yet
Robbing bastards :mad:

While I don't disagree, petrol price is not directly linked to oil price. The way I understand it they are wholesaled differently, or to describe it an oil company may pull some black stuff out the ground somewhere, that may then get sold to another company that turns it in to various products, the same oil company (retail arm) may then buy the petrol that is made from the oil they pulled out in the 1st place. So the company flogging you the fuel may have also pulled the oil out the ground but the actual price of the product you purchase is also influenced by whatever company refined it. So while it should fluctuate up or down (though not in anything approaching real time) based on the price of it's key ingredient (oil) you are relying on a number of "middlemen" to reflect that drop at a couple of stages before it gets to you..... as with anything where extra links in the chain are making a profit they will be eager to quickly pass on a price increase but much less eager to pass on the drops, preferring to pocket it as extra profit. That's the way a family member who used to work on the exploration side of the industry explained it to me once, he may have been over simplifying it for me though.

The real anger on fuel should be the ludicrous duty we pay and then the VAT that gets piled on top of that.

Trev
11-03-15, 03:53 PM
While I don't disagree, petrol price is not directly linked to oil price. The way I understand it they are wholesaled differently, or to describe it an oil company may pull some black stuff out the ground somewhere, that may then get sold to another company that turns it in to various products, the same oil company (retail arm) may then buy the petrol that is made from the oil they pulled out in the 1st place. So the company flogging you the fuel may have also pulled the oil out the ground but the actual price of the product you purchase is also influenced by whatever company refined it. So while it should fluctuate up or down (though not in anything approaching real time) based on the price of it's key ingredient (oil) you are relying on a number of "middlemen" to reflect that drop at a couple of stages before it gets to you..... as with anything where extra links in the chain are making a profit they will be eager to quickly pass on a price increase but much less eager to pass on the drops, preferring to pocket it as extra profit. That's the way a family member who used to work on the exploration side of the industry explained it to me once, he may have been over simplifying it for me though.

WB, ever educational ; )