PDA

View Full Version : Sportsbike pillion

MayallRob
09-06-14, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned in the forum before but I can't find the thread.

I'm getting a sportsbike next year (the S1000RR; I posted a review of my test ride a few months ago), but currently enjoy having my girlfriend on the back of my bike riding pillion. As a pillion she is perfect, she knows exactly what to do and how to ride with me, so no worries there. However, the pillion seat on sportsbikes look rather... uncomfortable?

http://missusbikestig.com/wp-content/uploads/mr-mrs-bike-stig-bmw-s1000rr.jpg
(random s1000rr pillion from google)

Obviously I know sportsbikes aren't really made for two people, but she is inevitably going to want a ride on the back of the new bike next year. The pillion seat is quite a lot higher than her, and when I went on the test ride I couldn't imagine how she was meant to get on!

So, my question is: for those of you that have a sportsbike and ride pillion, how does your pillion get on?

At the moment I can only presume that they use the rear footpeg to boost themselves up and swing their leg over? Currently my GF is able to get her leg over without using the pillion. The benefits of having a low commuter bike I guess!

wiltshire builders
09-06-14, 04:58 PM
That's exactly it.
You sit with both feet planted on the ground, brake on and,( if it's running) out of gear.
She puts her right hand on your right shoulder and her right foot on the right pillion peg. She will undoubtably put her feet on your pegs but that's just one of those things.
She then swings her left leg over and sits on the seat. Again I've had pillions sit in the rider's seat before.
Tell her to do it in one, clean movement as fannying about can cause the bike to over balance.
After a few goes she'll be fine.

Hazel-nut
09-06-14, 05:27 PM
As described above is how I used to get on a Daytona 675, I know some use the riders foot pegs to get on before getting into position

Swanny
09-06-14, 05:47 PM
You wouldn't get me on the back of a sports bike :eek:

Conehead
09-06-14, 05:52 PM
You wouldn't get me on the back of a sports bike :eek:

He barely stays on the front.

It is best practice for the pillions to get on as mentioned above

Throttle_junkie
09-06-14, 05:52 PM
I had an srad 600, mrs hated being on the back of it, now have an r6 5eb, and she says it's soooo much more comfy, also added some anti slip netting over her seat for a little more support. As for her getting on as pillion, she just throws her leg straight over and hops on, doesn't use my pegs or anything.

We also use pillion buddy handles which she swears by.

MayallRob
09-06-14, 06:03 PM
That's exactly it.
You sit with both feet planted on the ground, brake on and,( if it's running) out of gear.
She puts her right hand on your right shoulder and her right foot on the right pillion peg. She will undoubtably put her feet on your pegs but that's just one of those things.
She then swings her left leg over and sits on the seat. Again I've had pillions sit in the rider's seat before.
Tell her to do it in one, clean movement as fannying about can cause the bike to over balance.
After a few goes she'll be fine.

I figured that this must be the best method! It hadn't occurred to me that she might use the riders pegs to hoist herself up. Good advice!

Has anyone got any horror stories about pillions getting on the back? I once had my friend use the rear footpegs to get him up. Hes significantly bigger and heavier than my girlfriend, and I wasnt quite expecting him to be that heavy! He damn near made me fall over before I managed to get myself upright again.

MayallRob
09-06-14, 06:08 PM
I had an srad 600, mrs hated being on the back of it, now have an r6 5eb, and she says it's soooo much more comfy, also added some anti slip netting over her seat for a little more support. As for her getting on as pillion, she just throws her leg straight over and hops on, doesn't use my pegs or anything.

We also use pillion buddy handles which she swears by.

I saw some buddy handles for sale at the Mega Motorcycle Store in Swindon a month of two ago. Went in again the next week to buy some and they were sold out! I'll definitely get some ready for next years bike. Its good to hear some positive feedback about them.

Burbler
09-06-14, 06:29 PM
Has anyone got any horror stories about pillions getting on the back?

Yep ! Pal of mine with a 1200 Kawa took his grandson to a vintage bike, car, traction engine show. One of the lad's mates wanted to sit on the bike. On mounting he put his arms round the rider's head / neck stood on the peg and swung his other leg outwards and around. Didn't make it. The leverage involved pulled the whole lot over. He fell over but had no problems. My mate however had the bike fall on him and broke his leg.

Burbler
09-06-14, 06:32 PM
You could always try the cowboy-hero method of a run and jump from directly behind :eek:

BB
09-06-14, 09:26 PM
As above, use the pegs that is not the cowboy jump! :eek:

Hazel-nut
09-06-14, 09:36 PM
I always make sure dabz is ready before I step on and he has both feet on the floor and holding onto the bars to steady the bike, only a couple of times have I not made it first time but touch wood we've never fallen over or anything dramatic! When it is almost dropped its because he's not ready

Hope your gf will enjoy the sports bike, it's very different being sat higher than the rider! The more times she gets on and off the better you'll both get at it ��

wiltshire builders
09-06-14, 09:41 PM
I've got a set of 'love handles' but I'm not a fan.
There's too much movement when accelerating and braking.
I prefer the arms around the waist/brace yourself on the tank method.

Gavuk
09-06-14, 11:41 PM
Tried the love handles,but mrs said they were ok for accelerating but there is too much room between us on the saddle for braking .
She taps me on the shoulder to let me know when she's getting on or off,but this is on an xjr so not a sports bike

Kevinb
10-06-14, 02:16 PM
I've got a set of love handles but mine are part of my body!
I would love to see someone ride a sports bike with me on the back though getting on would be easy. Step 1 stand legs apart. Step 2 reverse bike between said legs. Step 3 sit fat arse on seat and raise legs.

Mal103
10-06-14, 09:31 PM
When over arf is on the back of the Triumph Sprint she enjoys the higher view, bad news is she can see the speedo...