PDA

View Full Version : My Near Miss, that made my legs go to jelly ! HGV v Bike

shiftyblake
24-05-14, 08:36 AM
I thought it would be good to tell you what happened to me. Just reminded me after 20 plus years of riding don't get complacent, stay out of vulnerable positions.
I was in Belgium last week and slipped on to a dual carriage way, leading in a group of three. Short slip road onto the carriageway. We we were taking the next junction off probably about 500 yards. Travelling at about 60 mph. A HGV came down the hill at a rate of knots, no limiter. Over took my fellow riders and sat with his cab next to me in the outside lane. Realising I was in a vulnerable position. I couldn't blast forward as their was a lorry in front that we were approaching at 70 ish. So looked at the exit coming up and thought, 5 seconds I am out of here. But the HGV just pulled over into my lane as that thought came. I emergency braked, thank **** for ABS, and thought SH1T it should just pass with a light clip, but unfortunately he had a double trailer and this one wasn't going to get passed. I stopped breaking and took my chances off the carriageway into a deep drainage ditch. Stayed up right, managed to get bike back up the steep side and then exited off. CLOSE does not describe it ! it was worse for my mates who had to wittness it !

Next time, if I enter a dual carriage way with an HGV I will either slow up very quickly and let it pass or blast away ! Yes we were astonished that he hadn't seen me as he had pulled out to over take us and I was in the lead. But that would have been cold comfort as I ate an HGV tyre !

Anyway, didn't effect my weeks ride at all, really enjoyed it and just road with more vigilance about vulnerable positions !

shifty:)

wiltshire builders
24-05-14, 09:00 AM
Glad you were ok. That was some pretty quick thinking.
I've ridden all over Europe and the standard of driving in Belgium is by far the worst.
It's the combination of dangerous driving and being oblivious to it that makes it so bad.

shiftyblake
24-05-14, 09:28 AM
Yes agreed, it happened a lot quicker than it took to describe it !

Brizzer
24-05-14, 10:05 AM
glad your ok , and you think that's the standard of a professional driver

Conehead
24-05-14, 10:52 AM
Good to hear you kept it up and yourself off of the ground. It is shocking how quick it can happen. The kind of manouvre you made can only be done with experience so luckily you had all those years under your belt. Don't think many would have been able to keep it up including myself. Good to still have you around

shiftyblake
24-05-14, 10:54 AM
Cheers for that Conehead :o

Nano
24-05-14, 01:51 PM
Glad you made t. I just got back from a trip in europe and belgium drivers are by far the worst, the same thing happened to a local rider in front of me h dropped back only to be nailed by the bmw tailing him. He was not so lucky he lives but had to be tretchered out. It took 4 hours to givea statement to the belgian police and it was a very hot day. We all hoped that the belgian guy was ok, I have never en any one go ovr the bonnet at spped bfore quite shocked. All I can sy is be really carefull in belgium I saw more ner misses in 3 days than I do in a year in the uk and I ride daily. Stay safe.

Nelly
24-05-14, 05:31 PM
Glad your ok fella:cool:

shiftyblake
24-05-14, 06:18 PM
Glad you made t. I just got back from a trip in europe and belgium drivers are by far the worst, the same thing happened to a local rider in front of me h dropped back only to be nailed by the bmw tailing him. He was not so lucky he lives but had to be tretchered out. It took 4 hours to givea statement to the belgian police and it was a very hot day. We all hoped that the belgian guy was ok, I have never en any one go ovr the bonnet at spped bfore quite shocked. All I can sy is be really carefull in belgium I saw more ner misses in 3 days than I do in a year in the uk and I ride daily. Stay safe.

Its bad to have avoided the accident and have a car driving too close that gets you, hope the guy recovers well.

shiftyblake
24-05-14, 06:20 PM
Cheers everybody, yea I still love getting on my Trumpet, but I do take a deep breath...!

redken1
24-05-14, 08:02 PM
Wow that sounds scary. Glad it ended ok.

Mal103
24-05-14, 09:18 PM
Lucky miss, I had one last week but luckily guessed what they were going to do, turning right on a big roundabout and a woman in a small red car looked at me and still pulled out. I was in a good position to still be able to stop but when I realised she stopped I carried on whilst tooting at her and the muppet next to her who had also gone because she did.
she wouldn't have been able to say she didn't see me as she looked straight at me, the same as another muppet today whilst I was on 4 wheels, they nearly had 2 tons of Land Rover testing their side impact bars but we seem to have an extra sense to detect muppetry...

BB
25-05-14, 04:27 PM
Well done and extremely lucky - did you buy a lottery ticket? :D