PDA

View Full Version : Seatcovers,gel,sheepskin?, advice needed

Gavuk
10-05-14, 02:43 PM
The seat on my xjr has seen better days, so i've been looking at the custom covers on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJR-1300-RP-06-SEAT-COVER-gift-present-/131179125582?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e8ae29b4e

Would i be better off avoiding the stitched type (water ingress) and just go for a replacement vinyl welded cover?

How easy to fit are these things?,I would prob buy an air stapler if I attempt to fit it myself...

BUT

I also get a numb bum after 1-2hrs in the saddle,so i've been reading about gel inserts and seat pads and sheepskin pads,so i'm wondering if I should just get the seat recovered and having gel inserted at the same time by someone who knows what they are doing :o

I don't want to spend a fortune but with a cover and gel already adding up to £100 or so,I want to spend once and wisely .

I'm wondering if there are any members that have modified their seats and can offer advice?....I can weld and turn,but never attempted seat recovering,give me metal any day :D

Annie
12-05-14, 08:24 AM
Hi Gavuk.
I can do the whole job for you, but I need to see the seat before I can give you a price.
There are several ways of making a seat more comfortable, gel pad, softer foam topper.....
I have done loads of this type of thing for many of my customers and they all have said so much better and the miles just drift away...
I am on a 7 week lead at present so if you do want me to do it, I can put the job up and contact when ready. You are only then without the seat for 2/3 days.
Please have a look at the website www.cobra-leathers.co.uk
Hope to see you soon
Annie

Rabb
15-05-14, 09:07 PM
I bought a gsxr bespoke seat cover in blue White & gsxr logo too.
A guy on eBay in Weston super mare I think.
£40 ish - Marine vinyl & stiching etc . Goes directly over your original seat with staples to secure.
Use a hair dryer to make the vinyl maleable first.
Very very happy with it - looks great too.

Gavuk
15-05-14, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the replies Annie and Rabb,I was talking to a fella at the Harp and crown who had one fitted and he was singing its praises too.
I will be in touch Annie,would your 7 week lead time be the same if I get the cover and just need you to fit it and mod (foam/gel) the seat?.
Can you give a ballpark figure?...by PM if you prefer
I was offered a saddle with a cover already fitted,which may be of interest ,but I need to get a price first,but i will be in contact

many thanks

Gav

Annie
16-05-14, 08:17 AM
Morning,
Just a new cover fitting £30 approx.
However if you require a re-model first eg foam/gel pad.
Gel pad £50 ish + fitting cover
Foam £30 ish + fitting cover
Foam/Gel pad + making and fitting cover £120 ish
Happy decision making
Annie

Oakley
17-05-14, 01:06 AM
I recently purchased an Airhawk Cruser R - not cheap - but I don't regret it...

...and neither does my perineum....