PDA

View Full Version : Compact camera recommendations

DaytonaDog
01-05-14, 11:54 PM
Hi

I'm looking at getting a new compact camera to take on my pending Euro tour as I don't want to lug a DSLR and lenses around with me. I've been doing my research on t'internet and its left me none the wiser. Where one review recommends a camera, the next review slates it!!!! I have a budget of up to about 300 squiddlies, so any recommendations would be gratefully received. Ideally I would like something that allows me to have a good degree of control over the settings, i.e. shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc etc.

Thanks

DD

DC
02-05-14, 12:00 AM
Ive had a Sony Cybershot for around 10 years,brilliant Carl Zeiss optics ,takes awesome pics for what it is and would definitely recommend it, but I'm no David bailey.

DC
02-05-14, 12:33 AM
With regard to your previous What to take thread,I used to do a lot of cycle touring years ago and did the foam roll mat, self inflating thermarest and rolled up trousers as a pillow carry on.Have done a few road trips on the Bonny and from experience,by far,the most important thing for me, when M/C touring is getting a good nights sleep.I now take a proper single airbed,which takes up less room than one of those naff roll mats and a 12v pump,the size of a coffee mug,which plugs into the optimate aux socket and believe it or not, I actually take one of my proper pillows from home in a compression sack.Those three things when camping on the bike are essential now for me and makes a massive difference being able to get comfortable at night and waking up freshish :cool:

edit..... There was a thread on here sometime ago and some folk really rate the Panasonic Lumix range,might be worth a look.

DC
02-05-14, 12:58 AM
Like you,I eat out and about but take a stove for a brew and the odd one pot meal.I bought one of these in 2008 and will never need to buy another. If you haven't already looked at stoves check them out,compact,really efficient and maintenance is a doddle and they run on absolutely anything................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdja7UCIt0Y

Swanny
02-05-14, 08:58 AM
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMZ TZ30 (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_ZS20_TZ30/) which is far too good for my talent :cool:

RedSoul
02-05-14, 09:10 AM
If your mobile contract is nearly up try having a look at the latest generation phones as the htc1,Sony Z2 and the galaxy S5 have all vastly improved their camera function,lenses this year.
Also gives you an extra £300 spending money for your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Davezthomas
02-05-14, 09:36 AM
Look at the latest panasonic then go back two generations to pick up a bargain off t'internet. Panasonic are particularly good for this as the upgrades are usually not that significant. The latest tz60 is about 320£ whereas a tz30/35/40 can be had for well under 200£. They all have Leica lenses. See swannys comment above

napalm
02-05-14, 11:08 AM
Why not save the 300 quid and borrow one off some kind person. That way you can try the camera out in advance as well? If you already have a DSLR, is a compact a wise investment?

DaytonaDog
02-05-14, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies

Daddy cool: I'm with you regarding a good nights sleep and tend not to be able to function in the mornings until I've had a brew. I have purchased an inflatable mattress and I have a small gas stove and kettle from previous camping trips so all sorted on that front.

With regard the DSLR it is seven years old, so have been looking to upgrade anyway, is a lot of kit (three lenses) to lug around and to be honest I don't want the faff of having to change lenses depending on what I am photographing. I'm not just buying the camera for the trip as I intend using it when I go fly fishing as well. (Again with all the fishing kit, a DSLR is just too much to lug around especially if I am wading in the river). The camera that has been recommended to me by Simon Burfoot who is a member on here and is in the camera industry is the latest model and has loads of features that allow me a lot of creativity in my photography which is exactly what I am after. it also shoots HD video which my DSLR doesn't. I appreciate that the cameras on phones these days are really really good, but I'm after something that allows me a decent amount of control over the settings. Appreciate the thoughts and view points though.

In the end I have gone for a Canon Cybershot G16 on the recommendation of Simon. Its a little bit more than I was intending to spend but it comes with a 32gb memory card and a Manfrotto tripod (worth £118), for free and gives £30 cashback.