PDA

View Full Version : Limp-wristed :(

Florentine
27-04-14, 07:47 PM
Hello,

I have just done my Das on a Divvy XJ600. On my old 125 I could bimble about for hours, but a few days of instruction on the bigger bike and my wrists really hurt. I think this is just because I am a big wuss and have been hanging on for dear life, instead of relaxing into it, but apart from needing to chill out a bit, is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Is the change of riding position likely to have made a difference? The right one has stopped hurting now, but am definitely twinging (is that a word?) in the left wrist. Or is it just that am old and decrepid... :(

WR6133
27-04-14, 07:58 PM
Might just be the position on the Divvy being different to your 125.

njl
27-04-14, 08:06 PM
I think you have it covered with the handing on tight point you make, once more relaxed on the particular bike I expect it will go away

napalm
27-04-14, 08:14 PM
You're being a big wuss and clinging on for dear life! ;-) you could try adjusting your brake and clutch levers round the bars slightly to be in line with your forearms so you're not riding with bent wrists. Just loosen them off, rotate a bit tighten off and test. Make sure its all done up well and none of the brake and clutch lines are snagging or pulling when you rotate the bars from lock to lock.

Divvys all vibe at around 4000 rpm which can cause cramps and pins and needles in the hands and feet, so it might be this. Id relax more, but if it turns out to be vibe related, balancing carbs, replacing engine mount rubber can help. Heavier bar end weights can dull the vibe. It's a characteristic of this bike. Easiest solution is to use gears to stay out of that rev range. You know you're in it when your mirrors go ape**** and the coppers behind go blurry :-)
Good luck and Congrats on passing the DAS :-)

Wes
27-04-14, 08:22 PM
Could be a couple of things, the suspension could be set up badly pushing the rider forward and putting more pressure on the arms, body position also, try sitting closer to the tank using your legs to grip as well, especially if you become aware of this whilst riding around.
cheers wes

Florentine
27-04-14, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone, :). It's the school bike, not mine, so I can't really fiddle around with it, but I did notice the vibration issue between 4 and 5k revs. And napalm, thanks for your congrats, but they're a bit premature, I passed mod1 this week but couldn't get a mod 2 booked for a couple more weeks...

napalm
27-04-14, 08:46 PM
@Wes i don't reckon you could ever set up a divvy so badly that you'd be pushed forward, even with collapsed forks! It's the most sit up and beg bike I've ever been on. :-)

@Florentine I don't know what mod1 and mod 2 are. Guess I'm lucky! Congratulations anyway, sounds like a hurdle successfully jumped to me!

Florentine
27-04-14, 08:51 PM
@napalm: mod1 is the most fiendish torture known to mankind. Had its use been permitted in WWII, it would have shortened the conflict by at least 3 years.... Mod2 is a bimble around Salisbury, wired for sound and followed by an examiner chappie...

DC
27-04-14, 09:06 PM
Congrats on mod 1 and good luck with mod 2. Do you know what sort of bike you'll go for when you're all sorted ?

DC
27-04-14, 09:08 PM
Eveni'n our Wes :)

Florentine
27-04-14, 09:12 PM
Congrats on mod 1 and good luck with mod 2. Do you know what sort of bike you'll go for when you're all sorted ?
Thank you. :) I have an NTV650 straining at the leash, just got to pass...

DC
27-04-14, 09:16 PM
As you said in your previous post,you've probably done the hard bit.Good that you've already got a bike waiting for you :cool:

Florentine
27-04-14, 09:34 PM
Perversely, I'm far more worried about mod 2. :-(

DC
27-04-14, 09:41 PM
Worrying about it is as effective as chewing bubble gum to solve algebra,relax into it and you'll be fine and dandy :cool:

Conehead
27-04-14, 09:56 PM
MOD 2 is scary as you have the examiner right behind you. The best thing to do is ignore him in your mirrors and keep your line. If you take a wrong turn carry on DON'T try a u-turn, etc. Stay calm and keep your distances. I did it in Salisbury as well and the examiner if still the same rides a BMW. Lovely machine.

Swanny
27-04-14, 10:14 PM
Back in 1981 the examiner walked while you rode :cool:

Florentine
27-04-14, 10:19 PM
MOD 2 is scary as you have the examiner right behind you. The best thing to do is ignore him in your mirrors and keep your line. If you take a wrong turn carry on DON'T try a u-turn, etc. Stay calm and keep your distances. I did it in Salisbury as well and the examiner if still the same rides a BMW. Lovely machine.
I would prefer a lovely examiner....

DC
27-04-14, 10:29 PM
You could always try buttering them up with a few Florentines :)

theoldbaldone
27-04-14, 10:43 PM
I done my DAS at the beginning of the month in Swindon, to many speed change areas, watch signs, just think you have a satnav in your ear and don't watch him all the time, remember life savers and winkers on and off, the person who done it after me left his winker on to long, instant fail, just try to relax and enjoy the ride, it goes quicker as you relax, good luck

Conehead
27-04-14, 11:10 PM
They usually are but wont show you till they are finished as they have a serious job to do. Really they are ok.

Swanny, show how old you are old man

DC
27-04-14, 11:20 PM
Back in 1981 the examiner walked while you rode :cool:

They walked in front with a red flag in your day eh Swan ???:p

Toph
28-04-14, 12:22 AM
ha ha... dc you are a wag!! :)
I did das 3 years ago..my advice to you Florentine is to talk to yourself throughout the test.. "approaching a right turn.. check over your right shoulder.. indicate.. move to the crown of the road, lifesaver again.. if clear move off... after turn cancel indicator" etc etc... just talk to yourself out loud whilst you ride.. did the trick for me...
Welcome to Wiltshire Bikers.. and good luck with MOD 2.

Jon_W
28-04-14, 08:04 AM
could be two things.

A) Your gripping too hard. Relax, drum your fingers on the grip from time to time to make sue you are relaxed.

B) The Divvy is a bigger bike and may have longer reach between the seat and the bars. Sit as close to the tank as possible. Lean forward a little more and make sure your arms are a little bent.

QB1
28-04-14, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone, :). It's the school bike, not mine, so I can't really fiddle around with it, but I did notice the vibration issue between 4 and 5k revs. And napalm, thanks for your congrats, but they're a bit premature, I passed mod1 this week but couldn't get a mod 2 booked for a couple more weeks...

From what you've said does sound like you are just holding on too tight rather than just relaxing.

Vibes tend to make your hands go dead rather than cause your wrists to ache.

Burbler
28-04-14, 03:19 PM
WTF is a 'lifesaver'. I thought they were fruity polo-type sweets. Didn't have them on my test...only one mirror and that vibrated like hell, and often no mirrors at all. No indicators either...fun days.

Wes
28-04-14, 05:50 PM
Eveni'n our Wes :)
Hi mate :) hows it going?

Rabb
08-05-14, 07:57 AM
Three things
1. Use your back muscles to support your position on the bike.
2. Grip the tank with your thighs - as if your life depended on it.
3. And relax.......

Your main problem I would suggest is that youre being a bit lazy with use of your back muscles and trying to support the top of your body with your arms, hands & wrists. This also makes you 'tighten up' and become un-relaxed on the bike. Use your back muscles and put very little weight on your bent arms - don't grip the handlebars (lightly caress them).
If you follow the above advice - your wrists will not hurt.

Conehead
08-05-14, 10:36 PM
Good luck for tomorrow Florentine. Take it easy and try to relax. Forget the examiner is there and dont make allowances for them./ Ride your ride. :)

Rabb
09-05-14, 12:44 AM
Good Luck Florentine!
Keep smiling :-)

Linford
09-05-14, 08:15 AM
Is Mod2 today? - If so the very best of luck to you Florentine- just relax & enjoy the ride!
oh...& be prepared to have the grin surgically removed from your face when you pass- mine is still aching from last Friday!! :cool:

Florentine
10-05-14, 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone. :-) I failed. Gutted. It was nerves. I completely effed up my hill start and most of my pulls away were sponsered by Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Never been an issue before. Purely nerves. Have rebooked for 23rd and ordered valium...

Last Train
10-05-14, 10:32 AM
I feel for you Florentine.

Sounds like your reaction to it is a positive one, well done.

Good luck for the 23rd.

The promised land isn't far away.

:)

Conehead
10-05-14, 10:57 AM
Gutted for you but at least you know what to expect next time round. Good luck.

Linford
10-05-14, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Florentine. The whole experience of the test is thoroughly unpleasant, and something I hope I'll never have to repeat- it's a nice ride ruined!
Nerves...that's all it was down to....damn you nerves! ! (Shaking fist)
The very best of luck to you for the 23rd :)

Rabb
10-05-14, 05:30 PM
Stay positive - As it sounds that you are.
The best riders don't pass first time - believe me I know.
You haven't failed - you've just defered the pass date for when the weather is better.
Good luck on the 23rd - and keep smiling!

BB
11-05-14, 07:37 PM
Keep smiling, you will get there! :cool:

Jon_W
12-05-14, 09:23 AM
Stick at it. It's well worth the nerves.

Vulcanboy
12-05-14, 12:53 PM
Keep on trying .... and the nerves will go away. Good luck! Richard

Florentine
30-05-14, 12:01 AM
Well, I took the test again last week and failed again. It's still nerves. I can ride fine when I'm not being tested. Gutted :-(

Linford
30-05-14, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear that Florentine- the tests really suck if you suffer from nerves (which I also did).
Don't get down....you know you can do it...and next time....you'll av it!!:cool:

WR6133
30-05-14, 08:38 AM
Just see it as a slight delay you'll nail it next time. Do you have a 125 you can practice on? Just spend a couple of days doing nothing but ride round and round Salisbury so the whole test route becomes second nature.

Conehead
30-05-14, 11:31 AM
If you want I could follow you so that you are used to a bike right behind you. You could also try to imagine that I am the examiner. Pm me if interested. I really dont mind.

Florentine
30-05-14, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Am not giving up. Need to save the monies for another test. And that's a really kind offer Conehead, but I dont have a 125 any more, I sold it to pay for the das and 650. :-(

Wes
30-05-14, 06:36 PM
Keep at it, im sure next time will be different, nerves are fine, every trackday or at prescott im the same, just about trying to shake em out and focus on the job. Good luck

Aubz
30-05-14, 06:47 PM
Again keep at it, keep your mind on what is going on around you, and just let yourself flow through the motions. And remember to keep in the correct lane for the roundabouts! :-)

Florentine
30-05-14, 07:45 PM
It's the pulling away and hill start wot did for me. The nerves go straight to my hands and turn them into jellyfish on crack.

I shall lobby for the introduction of the hill stop. I would pass with flying colours..

Conehead
30-05-14, 08:44 PM
That sucks but if I could help in any way let me know.

Burbler
30-05-14, 08:49 PM
It's the pulling away and hill start wot did for me. The nerves go straight to my hands and turn them into jellyfish on crack.

I shall lobby for the introduction of the hill stop. I would pass with flying colours..

Yeah, hill stops are good but my favourite is the 11 point turn.

Florentine
30-05-14, 09:47 PM
That sucks but if I could help in any way let me know.
Would you be prepared to dress as a traditionally built woman of a certain age and take the test for me...?

Conehead
30-05-14, 11:59 PM
Would you be prepared to dress as a traditionally built woman of a certain age and take the test for me...?

No problem but I must warn you I might not get away with it as I am 6'3" and don't look feminine at all but my wife said she will try to make me look more like the role required

matthews677
31-05-14, 06:45 PM
I think cone head should dress up so we can see how ladylike he is. You might be able to pull it off. I know some blokes who I've had to do a double take cos they actually looked like women. That said I have also seen some dressed up and I can never scrub that image from my retinas

Conehead
31-05-14, 09:13 PM
I think cone head should dress up so we can see how ladylike he is. You might be able to pull it off. I know some blokes who I've had to do a double take cos they actually looked like women. That said I have also seen some dressed up and I can never scrub that image from my retinas

Cheeky fecker. I will give it a go but I will not shave my legs.

Florentine
31-05-14, 09:49 PM
I'm 5' 10". Would you be able to stoop a little...?