PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

Simon Halpin
26-04-14, 09:46 PM
Bought my bandit 1200 2 weeks ago and rode it home from Bridgend to Westbury and it was fine. been busy past couple weeks so today decided to fit my new digi speedo and headlight. went to start bike and it sounded like it was running on 2 cyclinders. drained the carbs and then left it four a bit whilst i had a coffee and a man-trum.

Anyway when i went back to the bike it sounded better but stank of fuel then i noticed fuel spitting out the exhaust.

asked a few people and they advised taking off the carbs and inspecting them.

well carbs are out but i cant get the f*****g screws out the float bowls

Im literally at the point of thowing a match at it. not big or clever i know but im sick of not beign able to ride a bike.

anyone in the area thats able to lend a hand

i make good coffee :)

WR6133
26-04-14, 09:54 PM
Are you meaning the 4 screws holding each bowl on? On my bike they are weird they look like a normal crosshead but are actually deeper and end in a slight point (more than a normal one)... you need a specific screwdriver head to get em out all a normal crosshead does is mangle them..... maybe yours has those screws?

Simon Halpin
26-04-14, 09:55 PM
ah that might explain a few thins as they were starting to mangle

DC
26-04-14, 09:56 PM
Can't help personally but found this http://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=28818.0

WR6133
26-04-14, 10:01 PM
Google tells me I'm on about JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws and your Bandit may have them on the carbs.

Simon Halpin
26-04-14, 10:15 PM
ill look at mine tomorrow see if they are the same

Conehead
26-04-14, 11:30 PM
You are a bit far from me but if you get your carbs to me I could do it for you.

whizz
27-04-14, 02:04 PM
Simon I'm in westbury n can take a look n help u if u still need it ....

wheelers
27-04-14, 06:08 PM
what we use in the trade is a bit of grinding paste on the end of the screwdriver, give the end of the driver a tap with a hammer to bed point in , then slowly try to tighten a bit just to break the seal then when you hear a click or crack you can undo normally. failing that a pair of pipe clamps , not mole grips.

btw, there are Phillips and pozidrive cross head screwdriver use the one that fits the best aand tightest. the pointed ones often bottom out and you don't get the full effect,.