PDA

View Full Version : Best bimbling routes

Nano
22-04-14, 10:15 PM
I have long loved the ride from devizes to salisbury but I just have a nice long ride from exmouth along the coast road and back up to Trowbridge across country. Now that I have a bike that can finally make the speed limit even uphill, I was wondering what other treasures people might like to share to us newbies.? Is it something peculiar to Easter week that the roads are unusually empty the day after a bank holiday Monday? It was blooming brilliant. On Friday I was out for a bit in 20 miles I counted 357 bikers enjoying the sun today I saw 15 all the way from Exmouth (100 miles the back way). Any sage advice as to routes would be appreciated, I like to mix it up a bit and I am new to Wiltshire roads.

Nano
22-04-14, 10:17 PM
I should add, yes I am that sad that I 'count' things for fun.....curse of my day job!

fd2526
22-04-14, 11:36 PM
I'm also interested In some decent rides/routes starting/ending in trowbridge/frome areas.... Been here 2 years and don't really know any!

Burbler
22-04-14, 11:38 PM
On Friday I was out for a bit in 20 miles I counted 357 bikers enjoying the sun

That was the 357 Magnum that you saw.

Trev
23-04-14, 08:25 AM
Shaftesbury to Salisbury is a nice A road run with some decent corners and not much traffic, also some lovely B and even C roads off it with practically no traffic. Happy to meet up and drag a couple of you around my favourite local roads if you want, I'm near Ringwood off teh A31 but happy to pop across and meet near you guys.
I'm up to the Cotswolds thsi weekend with local IAM group (only do one or two a year as not into riding in groups) but usually get out most weekends for a decent run.

WR6133
23-04-14, 09:45 AM
I find the most fun bimbling around is not to plan much at all. My planning rarely goes beyond the vague direction I head when I leave the house.

Swanny
23-04-14, 10:32 AM
Think this fits the bill for a Thursday evening bimble. Hunters Lodge, Wincanton BA9 8LD is a good excuse to go for a ride. Luckily for you it starts and ends in Trogtown or Frome

The route goes along the B3092 though Maiden Bradley which is a good bit of road
Nice place to go and great food plus you get to look at 500+ bikes

Be warned though that most riders that go only have daylight licenses and disappear long before it gets dark, so if you turn up at 8 they will be long gone.
Maybe Coronation street is on on a Thursday?

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/showthread.php?33245-Hunters-Lodge-Wincanton-A303

(http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/showthread.php?33245-Hunters-Lodge-Wincanton-A303)

QB1
23-04-14, 10:53 AM
The A4 isnt a bad road heading out of Calne past the Divine cafe then on into Marlborough and Pewsey etc.

shiftyblake
23-04-14, 08:15 PM
The A4 Stretch accross to Hungerford is excellent if you leave it late enough to miss the traffic. I do love the road from Pewsey think its the A432 to Upavon over the hill. Most roads South of Bath through to Sommerset are good !

Jon_W
25-04-14, 12:12 PM
Turn off of the A4 just out of Malbrough at the "Who'd have thought it" pub sign and there is a truly excellent route back to Pewsey or Devizes.

Gerry
25-04-14, 06:33 PM
Or the same direction, Marl to Hungerford then turn North to Wantage on the A338. I've also been on a road from Wantage back to Newbury which was ace, lovely twisty roads, but don't know the road number.

Nano
25-04-14, 08:09 PM
Cheers peeps! some more routes to try, I love to get lost but I seem to always get lost around the same routes so its nice to get some more suggestions!

Vulcanboy
27-04-14, 05:46 PM
A4, Marlborough to Calne as the sun sets in the West .... magic !