PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak!!

SonnyBoy
19-04-14, 01:16 PM
Hello there, i have managed to sort my rear drum out after is seized, all greased up and working smoothly. I though id take it out for a nice ride and when i got back there was alot of oil dripping out from around the air filter!! I believe that there are two hoses that aren't sealed properly and its getting out of there. Any help or advise would be very helpful. This bike is a nightmare.

WR6133
19-04-14, 02:07 PM
There should be either 2 or 3 hoses connected to your airbox. 1 (or 2 if it's a twin) are from the pipes from the EGR valves. The other usually thicker one will be coming from the crankcase breather. The oil is probably coming from that. A little oil isn't to much to worry on, if there is a lot coming through firstly check your oil level is correct. When you use the dipstick unscrew it, wipe it, shove it back in but don't screw it back in (with the bike level). It maybe overfilled that can cause your problem. If your bike uses a 156FMI engine (cg clone) then it takes I believe just under 1lt of 10w40.

If the oil level is correct then it could be pressure building to high. That could be bad piston rings or even as simple as the built in oil strainer being bunged up, either will involve a certain amount of tearing down. My money would be on the strainer the CG clone engines don't have a proper oil filter they have a little strainer which is just under the pump. To get at it you need to remove the right hand side casing (so need to drain the oil first). If your bike has a few years on it odds are nobody has cleaned that strainer ever so it will be bunged up with crap

SonnyBoy
19-04-14, 06:45 PM
Hey,

thankyou for the heads up, i got the engine running for a while and saw that the oil was dripping from the bottom of the air filter casing. I drained the oil and Christ there mustve been about two litres that came out, obviously way too much! I opened the air filter and there was a pool of oil at the bottom. Ive given everything a good clean up and have some Castrol power 10w40 which is the correct oil. Just trying to find put how much i need, on the top of the dip stick it says 1.0l so am guessing that that's how much is needed. Do you think its still worth worth having a look at the strainer? Cheers.

WR6133
19-04-14, 07:02 PM
If you want to clean the strainer before doing the oil you'll need to split the case, that'll then require a new gasket when putting back. If you just drained near 2L that woild have been causing the problem so I'd just put in new and run it.

SonnyBoy
19-04-14, 07:12 PM
Yep those were my thoughts too, the guy i got it from must've been a bit of a numpty. Do you know any good sites to get the spec of Chinese bikes? Shall i go with the dipstick markers when filling or to the 1.0l on the top of the dip l stick screw?

WR6133
19-04-14, 07:57 PM
Go by the crosshatch markers on the stick if it's a 156FMI I think it's just under 1L

SonnyBoy
19-04-14, 08:01 PM
Okay cheers mate, i will do.

SonnyBoy
19-04-14, 08:33 PM
New oil is in i put about 900ml in and the level is around the three quarter mark on the cross hatch marker if not slightly above that. Ive run the engine and had a little ride and it sounds and feels a thousand times better plus no visible oil leaks. Ill give it a longer ride tomorrow and see how it goes, lets hope i can properly use this machine now. Cheers for all your help :-)