PDA

View Full Version : Rapper's delight

napalm
16-04-14, 12:46 AM
So following my off at oulton last year I've finally got round to doing something about the cosmetic damage to the track fairings. Filled in all the missing chunks, fibreglassed the more serious holes and smoothed it all down to something resembling new.
Tomorrow I'm getting a delivery of some gloss white and matt black vinyl wrap to see what I can make of it. If it works it'll definitely be a cheaper alternative to paint.
I got what I think will be enough vinyl (6metres) a squeegee and knifeless tape all for under a ton. Even managed to persuade Rach to lend me her hair dryer to put heat into it. So I'm all youtubed up and ready to go. Shiny!
Any tips peeps?

wiltshire builders
16-04-14, 10:37 AM
A mate wrapped his Honda S2000.
Looks really good.
He said the surface needs to be spotless, chip free and take your time.
Look forwards to seeing the results.

WhyNot
16-04-14, 11:50 AM
I'd recommend a proper heat gun, hair dryers are ok but the heat spreads better across the vinyl better with a gun, thus making it easier to stretch and get a flawless finish on the awkward bendy bits.

napalm
16-04-14, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not looking for it to be perfect, after all this is a track bike and I've already slid it down the road so I'm going to limit the amount of effort I put in and use it to learn. If it goes well then I'll be wrapping my road bike too, but making a better job of that!

@WhyNot sounds like you have experience of this? I saw a video on the tube where the guy was using a small blowtorch from about 6 - 8 inches away. seemed to do the trick and get a good heat spread and plenty of stretch without burning so was thinking of getting one of those.

WhyNot
16-04-14, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately/Fortunately I carbon wrapped some dashboard panels in my old corsa (a vxr, none of this chav 1.1 rubbish). I say unfortunately because it took me a day, was massively fiddly but it looked awesome by the end. The best wraps I have come across have been vinyl from 3M, its great stuff and not thick enough to cause you agro on curves but equally not so thin that you overstretch the pattern, burn a hole in it etc.

I do love a good wrap, be sure to post some pictures when its all finished!

A blow torch huh, well no one that knows me would ever recommend that I use one of those, which is probably why I used a heat gun :D

Wes
16-04-14, 06:36 PM
Be interesting to see how you get on with this mate, looks a bit beyond me, hope it goes well :)

napalm
20-04-14, 04:55 PM
Good progress so far. Pics... it's time consuming!428

napalm
20-04-14, 04:56 PM

napalm
20-04-14, 04:58 PM
Its not perfect, but its a first go and trackbike so not too fussed about it being spot on.

Wes
20-04-14, 05:05 PM
Looks pretty good there mate :)