PDA

View Full Version : CBT today!!! :-)

Linford
04-04-14, 06:16 AM
Morning all,
I'vegot my CBT today, my first time on a bike!! I cannot wait....I think :-/ :-)
Wish me luck and try not to laugh if you pass Chippenham rugby ground and happen to see a wobbly learner!

Throttle_junkie
04-04-14, 06:52 AM
Lol, we all had to start somewhere, just enjoy it and good luck :)

Linford
04-04-14, 06:57 AM
Cheers T.J. ..I've not long turned 40 - so it's a case of better late than never! :-)

Throttle_junkie
04-04-14, 07:26 AM
Get the CBT done, have a year practice then get ya big boys licence, have you an eye on what bike your going to get ?????

Linford
04-04-14, 07:35 AM
I'm doing my direct access module 1 for 3 days next week & module 2 after Easter. I bought a old beat up CBR400 Aero late last year...so nothing too powerful if and when I pass

WR6133
04-04-14, 07:35 AM
Enjoy your CBT.

Plans after.... 125 or DAS?

Throttle_junkie
04-04-14, 07:40 AM
Cool, little 400s kick ass in the right hands...... So im told lol. I'm sure you will do fine, just remember to stay safe, do your checks, and don't do anything that would cause a potential accident for you or others. I was told the examiners just want to see you are a safe and confident rider. Christ they gave me a licence and my user name is throttle_junkie, what does that tell you lol

Linford
04-04-14, 07:44 AM
Thanks WR6133.. DAS is the route i'm taking

Linford
04-04-14, 07:46 AM
Cool, little 400s kick ass in the right hands...... So im told lol. I'm sure you will do fine, just remember to stay safe, do your checks, and don't do anything that would cause a potential accident for you or others. I was told the examiners just want to see you are a safe and confident rider. Christ they gave me a licence and my user name is throttle_junkie, what does that tell you lol

haha..there may be hope for me then.. I bet you didnt introduce yourself to the examiner as throttle junkie!!

Burbler
04-04-14, 07:48 AM
Smile , nod, and remember to keep the front wheel on the ground. Good luck.

WR6133
04-04-14, 07:51 AM
CBR400 Aero

Cool, I would love a little 400 pocket rocket. I very nearly bought a VFR400 NC30 instead of my current bike but the seller wouldn't lower his price and it needed a lot of work. Mental fun when I test rode it though.

Linford
04-04-14, 07:51 AM
Smile , nod, and remember to keep the front wheel on the ground. Good luck.

sound advice.. Thanks Burbler

Linford
04-04-14, 07:53 AM
Cool, I would love a little 400 pocket rocket. I very nearly bought a VFR400 NC30 instead of my current bike but the seller wouldn't lower his price and it needed a lot of work. Mental fun when I test rode it though.

its no show bike..
I only paid £600 including delivery for it.....but I love it & can't wait to take her out

Linford
04-04-14, 08:03 AM

Annie
04-04-14, 08:13 AM
Good Luck and I hope all goes to plan for you :)

Linford
04-04-14, 08:14 AM
Thanks Annie:D

WR6133
04-04-14, 09:04 AM
Looks like lots of fun for £600!

napalm
04-04-14, 10:22 AM
Awesome! good luck and enjoy it!

Last Train
04-04-14, 01:32 PM
Best of luck :)

matthews677
04-04-14, 01:55 PM
Good luck. I'm sure you will be fine

Linford
04-04-14, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the kind words of support peeps!
We ran out of time today..did the cones in the car park etc..but will be finishing with a road ride on Sunday (probably due to me taking longer to get to grips with the basics and also it now being Friday rush hour!!). I had an amazing day..Garry and Leigh from Phoenix were excellent and very patient....even with a newbie muppet like me! I can't stop grinning now though...why did I leave it so long to learn!?

now I think ill reward myself with a drink or three tonight!!! ;)

DC
04-04-14, 04:53 PM
Well done Linford and good luck for Sunday :cool:

Linford
04-04-14, 05:09 PM
Well done Linford and good luck for Sunday :cool:
cheers D.C. I can't wait to be back in the saddle again now!!

WR6133
04-04-14, 06:13 PM
Congrats and have fun on Sunday on the road. Don't worry if it took you a while, I was a total and utter special needs case with the gears/clutch at first.

Goldie
04-04-14, 06:14 PM
well done, we were all newbies once. Have fun and take care on Sunday :)

Linford
04-04-14, 06:39 PM
Congrats and have fun on Sunday on the road. Don't worry if it took you a while, I was a total and utter special needs case with the gears/clutch at first.
Lol...yeah my arms weren't doing what my head wanted that's for sure :p...think they were locked straight by fear even though my mind wanted them to turn!!.but by the end of the session i thankfully loosened up
cheers

Linford
04-04-14, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Goldie;461709]well done, we were all newbies once. Have fun and take care on Sunday :)[/QUOTE

Thanks Goldie..'twas so much fun :D

Rabb
04-04-14, 08:17 PM
Well done - Keep it up for the DAS.
You'll need surgery to remove the grin from your face when you ride everyday.
Be confident on the test and don't spare the horses.
When you do the dual carriageway bit the examiner will expect you to set off like a man possessed, quickly achieving the speed limit with confidence. If you do this and do your lifesavers you will not go far wrong.
Above all, enjoy the freedom of biking :-)

napalm
04-04-14, 11:20 PM
I remember having locked arms on cbt too! Nearly hit a tree on my road ride! Absolutely rubbish but kind of hilarious too. It gets easier when the controls click and you're not always trying to figure out what does what. Good luck and stay relaxed and it'll all come together!

Linford
05-04-14, 05:42 AM
Above all, enjoy the freedom of biking :-)
Thanks Rabb...you sure do feel the speed on a bike....it felt like u was doing 100mph on the straights in the car park!! :)

Linford
05-04-14, 05:50 AM
I remember having locked arms on cbt too!
Thanks Napalm...I'm glad it wasn't just me then!! I think the instructors could make a lot of money out of me if they video my training and sent it to you've been framed!! :)

Throttle_junkie
05-04-14, 06:51 AM
Hahaha no I didn't, however my instructor kinda Sussed I liked speed and we went for a drag race up on wroughton airfield, I was on a Kwak ER650, him on a bandit 1200, suffice to say I lost......... But I think he told the examiner I was a speed freak, my test consisted of a maximum speed of 50 whole MPH, the rest was all 30 through residential. Confidence is key, I was lucky that I've ridden bikes a long time, so was just a case of riding them "correctly" for the purpose of obtaining my licence. But trust me there is no better feeling than having that piece of paper that says you can now ride a big bike legally. Good luck, I'm sure you will do fine, just look at the people on here lol, I'm sure they all have stories to tell about there riding and how they came to get their licence.

Linford
05-04-14, 07:24 AM
I can now see how twisting that throttle could turn into a addiction T.J. :)

Burbler
05-04-14, 08:12 AM
My car test was in Bridgend and my passenger cried off at the very last moment. I drove alone from Bristol at speeds of up to 85 mph on the road of death. The M4 ended E of Cardiff at that time. Then there was a 3 lane road - 1 lane east, 1 lane west and a middle one for whoever got there first.
I was on a huge adrenalin rush and had smoked about 10 cigarettes en route.
Stalled 3 times trying to get out of the test centre car park as knees were shaking like hell. Passed !

Sins
06-04-14, 09:20 AM
Hang on in there Buddy.. It's all worth it in the end.. I picked up an NC30 years ago for a mate.. He saw it advertised and hadn't passed his test.. I did the test ride and loved it.. Even if I was like a spider in a match box (far too tall for it..lol).. Changing direction by putting weight on the foot peg.. What a cracking little bike.. Press On my way! .get the test over and go earn some smiles...

Gerry
06-04-14, 09:26 AM
Have fun, & good luck for today :-)
Gerry

Sins
06-04-14, 09:27 AM
As more seasoned rider.. Or just old!! Not sure !! My test on a 250 triumph trailblazer involved riding around a left hand circuit as described by the examiner whilst he watched out of sight then a right hand one.. After which he said he'd be hiding somewhere on route and step out in front of me and I was to do and emergency stop.. I turned at a junction and saw his legs sticking out of the bottom of a thick hedge..sorted!! A few questions on the Highway Code and Bobs your uncle..

Sins
06-04-14, 09:31 AM
Oh... And to add to the story.. I rode minus "L" plates into Chester.. Went to the AA shop got the cover note for my other bike which I'd been lovingly doing up.. Rode home..sold the Trailblazer to a guy down the road.. And wheeled out the Bonnie.. And road it to the post office to Tax it.. Never looked back!!! .... Mmm wish I had it now..it would be worth more than the £30 I paid for it..

Linford
06-04-14, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys..I guess you all have your stories of learning and passing..all of which makes have been helpful..and amusing too!! This mornings ride with the instructor was awesome!! And we even got up to the dizzy speed of 50 mph along the cepen park south bypass..I felt like Barry Sheen! :-)
I'm still pretty **** at u turns and low speed manouvers..but I have my certificate now! And On Wednesday mod1 training starts....

Talk about jumping in at the deep end
Thanks for all the comments biker buddies ;)

BB
06-04-14, 04:07 PM
Well done, keep up the good work :cool:

WhyNot
07-04-14, 12:14 PM
Well done and good luck on your DAS training! I have my CBT on friday so fingers crossed :)

WR6133
07-04-14, 12:33 PM
fingers crossed

Thing is it'll be really hard to hold the bars with your fingers crossed

Linford
07-04-14, 12:42 PM
Well done and good luck on your DAS training! I have my CBT on friday so fingers crossed :)

I can't give you much advice being a 'rookie' myself - other than relax your arms (that was easier said than done with me!) and enjoy the day - it's brilliant!!

good luck! :-)

WhyNot
07-04-14, 01:11 PM
To to be fair my next few days will be consisting of praying for no rain :(

thanks Linford!

Thing is it'll be really hard to hold the bars with your fingers crossed

Burbler
07-04-14, 01:18 PM
Like Sins I did not have to face any of the modern-day trauma.
Got a 250 2-stroke when I was 16 and booked first available test. Waddled round a road course, answered a few HC questions and Bob was my uncle. Chopped it in a month later for an old 500 Norton Domi...

WR6133
07-04-14, 01:22 PM
To to be fair my next few days will be consisting of praying for no rain :(

Forecast is on your side :D . School should offer you waterproofs anyway if you don't have your own, bit of water ain't bad though best get used to it in Britain!

Trev
07-04-14, 03:05 PM

Good luck, every new bike rider welcomed! Don't forget the CBT is training not a test and you get a 'certificate of completion' as long as you complete it a competent manner, as long as you're sensible you will be fine. My nephew didn't get a sign-off first time though as he actually went through a read light but then he is a dipstick!!!

A long. long time since I took my bike test and any advice I gave you about that probably wouldn't be worth taking any notice of, the same as a couple of others commented on here, examiner was on foot and as long as you were half competent then you would pass, bit like a CBT but on a 100mph 250cc bike and without the wobbling around cones bit!
Two years ago took my IAM Advanced Riding test and even though that was pretty straightforward there are a few tips from that may be useful;
i) always observe the speed limit, even on 'ped it's not impossible to find yourself exceeding 30mph
ii) make sure you exaggerate the mirror checks so that the trainer sees you making them, even think about positioning your mirrors so that you have to move your head slightly to see in them correctly
ii) be smooooooth, braking, accelerating (less so on a 'ped) and cornering all better in smooth action

Annie
08-04-14, 08:24 AM
Congrats on the pass, I too took my test a long long time ago, did it without mirrors and indicators, that was fun.

Burbler
08-04-14, 08:59 AM
I too took my test a long long time ago, did it without mirrors and indicators, that was fun.

Ha ha, yeah indeed. Almost forgotten swivelling 180 deg looking behind and all hand signals.
Now, this might hurt...my first petrol was bought at the eqivalent of 24.5p per GALLON, i.e. about 6p per litre. And NO speed limit once past the black diagonal stripe sign.

Annie
08-04-14, 06:51 PM
My first bike I used to be able to Fill up for 50p !!!!

WR6133
08-04-14, 07:12 PM
My first bike I used to be able to Fill up for 50p !!!!

Did someone have to walk infront of it with red flags? ;)

Burbler
08-04-14, 07:28 PM
Oh, and gears on the right...1 up 3 down...but all you had to get away from was...

(LE Velocette Boxer)

Annie
09-04-14, 08:38 AM
Red Flag.....umm not quite....it was a Honda 50 step thro' Red and cream with tartan panniers.
Bought from Hammonds in Cirencester. I was 16 and so proud ;)

njl
09-04-14, 10:43 AM
Red Flag.....umm not quite....it was a Honda 50 step thro' Red and cream with tartan panniers.
Bought from Hammonds in Cirencester. I was 16 and so proud ;)

My Mum got her Fz50 from there, in white and blue. I used to take it out whenever my DT broke down (or had no fuel)

Linford
09-04-14, 07:41 PM
Day 1 of mod 1 training today On a ER6....flipping heck!! It was woo fast and so much fun.. Really pleased with my progress although I did do a drop-N-roll Off the bike whilst going around the cones ;) can't wait for more of the same tomorrow B-)

Col
11-04-14, 10:38 AM
:o bought my brand new Puch Sport from Pete Hammond a 'cough' few years ago :cool: Helped me with scrambling stuff/info too :D

It isn't Hammonds that own it now but they retained the name