PDA

View Full Version : All Dressed Up And Nowhere to Go

shrinkingviolet
29-03-14, 02:55 PM
Just about to get the bike out, possibly with pillion boy and still being new to tbe scene and not knowing the area that well I've realised I've nowhere to go.

For future reference can anyone recommend some local(ish) biker friendly places for a sunny afternoon. Went to Lechlade the other week but don't want to keep going to the same places :-(

Cheers
Mel

WR6133
29-03-14, 03:13 PM
I just pootle around Wiltshire when I have nowhere specific to go. If you get off the main routes there are some surprisingly fun roads, just spent the last 2 hours with the wife pillion and I doubt we got further than a 20 mile radius from home though covered 80 odd miles total

mikeapm
29-03-14, 04:04 PM
Perhaps if the weather looks fine next Saturday you could add a post on here Friday and see if anyone wants to meet up at say the cafe at cherhill for a cappuccino followed by some wiltshire b roads. I'm sure there are some people on here that have some good routes and don't need much encouragement to get out on 2 wheels (myself included). Right back out for a second stint before the sun disappears.

QB1
29-03-14, 05:00 PM
The Divine cafe at Cherhill like Mikes suggested is really nice, but not too sure the food is what most kids would go for its really? Its not a chips and burger sort of place. Some lovely open roads around it - the A4.

Depends a lot of what sort of roads you like and how far you like to go.

If you venture to the coast Poole, Studland and West Bay are good. West Bay is very popular with bikers and lots of little huts selling chips on the front right next to where you stop with a bike.

A circular route going across the chain ferry at Studland makes a nice run and a bit different going across a chain ferry.

Nelly
29-03-14, 05:11 PM
The AV8 cafe at kemble is always worth a ride. :)

DC
29-03-14, 05:16 PM
Glastonbury is always favourite on a sunny day for a cup of tea and a slice of cake.straight down the A361 and a good distance for a days outing :cool: Approx 60 miles

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Swindon,+UK/Glastonbury+Festival+Ltd,+Worthy+Farm,+Worthy+Ln,+ Pilton+BA4+4BY,+United+Kingdom/@51.3575146,-2.4563388,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m16!4m15!1m5!1m1!1s0x4871444f3ddbe4 e5:0xa556bf37e9c5949a!2m2!1d-1.7797176!2d51.5557739!1m5!1m1!1s0x4872234f3eb964c 3:0x7f98a8e139207621!2m2!1d-2.583405!2d51.15904!2m1!1b1!3e0?hl=en

Trev
29-03-14, 06:09 PM
I'm popping across to Devizes Sunday morning with my local SAM group but will then be making my own way back as it's level 2 ride and will be pretty tame. Rough plan is back roads down to Wyle then Chilmark/Tisbury and over downs to Broadchalke and back home in sunny Alderholt.
Happy for someone to tag along at any stage, should be leaving Devizes (Caen Hill locks wherever they are?) around midday.
Will be on either black MT03 or white Honda NC700X

Throttle_junkie
30-03-14, 06:20 PM
A good route from Lyneham is to go out through Bassett, left on the big roundabout, down under the M4 bridge, then turn right and follow the road out towards Ashton Keynes. Turn right onto spine road all the way to the top, left on the roundabout run parrellel to the 419 head towards Cirencester, right on the Tesco roundabout and pick up signs for Fairford, then follow that road to Lechlade, pick up signs to Faringdon to the A420, CAUTION SPEED CAMERA JUST AFTER S BENDS. Follow the road to Swindon. Then head to Blade for a brew and bap.

We done a very similar route with me on the R6, the mrs on her Yzfr 125, and a mate on his CBR, took us about 90 mins, then me and my mate went out and left the mrs at home, done it in about 40mins with a pit stop lol.

Jon_W
31-03-14, 02:08 PM
I just pootle around Wiltshire when I have nowhere specific to go. If you get off the main routes there are some surprisingly fun roads, just spent the last 2 hours with the wife pillion and I doubt we got further than a 20 mile radius from home though covered 80 odd miles total

I do the same. Just follow the front wheel for a bit.

Gerry
02-04-14, 10:34 AM
Another recommendation for popping over to Blade in Swindon.
Apart from the town itself the ride there's fun, either Devizes / Avebury or Devizes / Marlborough and there's loads of bikes to look at.

Mikkie (on here) is in the used bike sales and if the suns out there's usually a load of bikers there. Last Saturday we met, from memory, six WBers there.

Just down the road (literally) there's the Bike Mega-Centre (big sale this Saturday) ! which I've not been to in well over a year but was busy last weekend.
Tuesday eve's from now, there's always Poole :-)

mikesouthby
02-04-14, 08:51 PM
Agree with Nelly on the AV8 cafe. If ever I have nowhere to go and the suns out I pop up there for a blast, easy to find and great atmosphere...

fazed
03-04-14, 12:09 PM
I live in north Swindon so one of my favourite runs is from N Swindon via Blunsdon to Highworth to Lechlade and then to Bourton then either off to Stowe o/t Wold then Cirencester then home - or if its a quiet sunday morning from Stowe off to Stratford on Avon for a coffee at the Barge then home. about 60 miles each way and some nice roads - brilliant on an early sunday morning. Whatever you do enjoy the ride !